Author Topic: JD Fantasy Football 2009  (Read 62414 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Football 2009
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2009, 06:04 PM »
I am playing against Adrian Peterson, Drew Brees and the Eagles D this week in another league...that is an ugly way to start the season.

Drew Brees though has been lighting Brent up all day >:D

How does someone in your league have Brees and Peterson?  Is it a 4-team league?   ???

I'd say Peterson taken early round 1 and Brees late round 2, which I think is pretty standard really.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2009, 07:08 PM »
How the hell do I have DeAngelo Williams and Drew Brees?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2009, 01:30 AM »
I'd say Peterson taken early round 1 and Brees late round 2, which I think is pretty standard really.

You think?   ::)  The point was, how does Brees last that long in any league.  Certainly not standard in any league or mock draft I have seen.  I'm in 7 leagues and Brees was a late first rounder/early second rounder in most. If you're in an 8-team league, that means people passed on Brees all the way to pick #16 and that's just dumb.

How the hell do I have DeAngelo Williams and Drew Brees?

The #5 RB and Brees is not nearly as far fetched as Peterson and Brees.  Were you in any leagues where Willaims was picked ahead of Peterson?   ???
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2009, 01:41 AM »
Probably because

#1 The first pick went to an idiot Packer fan who couldn't stomaching having the best player in the NFL on his Fantasy team and instead took Maurice Jones Drew (who I think is going to have a MONSTER year)
#2 QB is the deepest position in Fantasy Football this year
#3 NOt to brag up my league too much but I will...we have been playing together since the early 90's so this isn't our first rodeo.  Most people stick with the standard RB/RB formula in the first two rounds and as such Brees was still there at the end of Round 2.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2009, 02:07 AM »
Probably because

And no one should forget what happened to Brady last year either.  I think Brees went around where he should have in our draft.  I also would have taken DeAngelo had he fallen to me, but didn't happen.  It's one week and the Saints were playing the Lions after all.  Bad luck for me to go up against Scott this week to say the least.  Not knocking Brees or where Scott took him but I've a funny feeling just about any QB might look fairly sharp against the Lions. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2009, 02:10 AM »
Probably because

#1 The first pick went to an idiot Packer fan who couldn't stomaching having the best player in the NFL on his Fantasy team and instead took Maurice Jones Drew (who I think is going to have a MONSTER year)
#3 NOt to brag up my league too much but I will...we have been playing together since the early 90's so this isn't our first rodeo.  Most people stick with the standard RB/RB formula in the first two rounds and as such Brees was still there at the end of Round 2.

I wouldn't brag about your league if most people stick to RB/RB selections.  The first five picks this year should have unquestionably gone to RBs, but if people didn't take Fitzgerald, Moss, Calvin Johnson, and Brees shortly after that then they don't know much about FF.  There is way more separation between Brees and the #8 or 9 QB compared to what you will get from RBs 6-10 and RBs picked around 30-40...I'd argue that RBs are much much deeper than QBs this time around.  Just look at what guys like C. Benson, J. Jones, and T. Hightower did this week.  I'd guess these guys were probably around 30 RBs into the draft or later in just about every league.  How did all the "depth" at QB perform this week?  Schaub, Cutler, Orten, Pennington, Warner...heck, even Rodgers had a pretty crummy game tonight.  Try selling that depth story to whomever in your league needs to find a replacement for McNabb next week.   ;)
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2009, 02:28 AM »
You also have no idea what our scoring system is and where the WR's went in the draft (which you alluded too).  I think people are shy of QB's because historically back to back monster seasons do not happen (Manning in 2005...Brady last year)...and by depth I mean:

Manning
Brady
Romo
Rodgers
Rivers
Warner

Will all be right around what Brees will put up at the end of the year.  Today was an anomoly based on who they played (as Brent pointed out).  He is the #1 QB in Fantasy but I think the drop off from top tier RB's and WR's at the top of the drafts this year vs what the drop off at QB was way more severe for the former rather than the latter.

Which means that not only are the top 5 picks backs but I think most leagues the 9 of the top 10 with LT, Chris Johnson and Jackson should be and were drafted ahead of Brees.  And then backs and receivers like Moss, Jennings, Andre Johnson, Jacobs, Slaton are all right there with him.  If you want to wait and fill out the roster with RB, RB, WR and then take a Manning or Rivers in round 4, I think that is a perfectly good strategy.

I also would like you to stop making continued snide comments about my league, your own fantasy performance here doesn't lend much to crow about by any means ;)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2009, 11:40 AM »

You think?   ::)  

How did all the "depth" at QB perform this week?  Schaub, Cutler, Orten, Pennington, Warner...heck, even Rodgers had a pretty crummy game tonight.  Try selling that depth story to whomever in your league needs to find a replacement for McNabb next week.   ;)

You assume a replacement needs to be found for McNabb next week.  I guess you know more than Andy Reid and Donovan himself right now.  I'll gladly start any of 5 waiverwire QB's for 1 week if push does come to shove.  Broken ribs are a 2 week injury in the NFL and that's usually with multiple.  McNabb has 1.

I like you so I'm going to take it easier on you than I normally would - but I think you better actually win a championship in this league or at least get by me before you start in with any kind of critique.   I've played in 14 JD leagues over 3 sports and have won 6 championships, and when I wasn't holding the trophy, you'd probably find me in the #2 slot.  

In 2006 I lost McNabb halfway through the season, and used a combination of 3 waiverwire quarterbacks the rest of the way and won the league, and then the superbowl.

So I really don't need your sarcastic eye rolls or commentary about an injury to my star QB and what I need to do about it.  I know what to do.

I agree with Scott also about the Brees thing, WR is kinda thin this year and I can totally see Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald all going before Brees in the 2nd round, moving him to the lower 1/2 of the round.  Brees is great and he had an amazing 1st game against an awful team, but the dropoff from tier 1 of the WRs to tier 2 is much greater than the dropoff of tier 1 QBs to to tier 2 QBs.  It's not hard to grasp.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:42 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2009, 12:55 PM »
McNabb might even play week 2.

And for the record, JediJMan doesn't know ****.  He's a poser.

Call him out.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:19 AM by ruiner »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2009, 01:38 AM »
I think this just might be turning into a 20:1 trap thread.
"This is the way."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2009, 01:40 AM »
Wow, entirely too much negative energy for week #1 of the season!

Scott - my comments were just in surprise that someone could actually get Peterson and Brees in a standard size league.  As I said, I didn't have a single draft out of seven where Brees was even close to that and I would not have let him get by me if I was more than a pick or two into the second round.  You stated above that you didn't want to brag about your league, but then tout your drafters because most stick to RB/RB selections.  I personally don't think sticking to a RB/RB strategy each year makes you a strong drafter - being able to adjust your draft based on the selections and remaining needs of other teams is more skillful IMO.  I'd much rather have Brees than S. Jackson and maybe even Chris Johnson, but we'll see how the year pans out.  As it stands, I don't have him in any of my leagues, so I hope you're right.  

Dressel - My "You think?" comment had nothing to do with McNabb- sorry you are dealing with him and his injury, but I think you misunderstood my comments.  For starters, I was being sarcastic about you stating that Peterson went in round one Brees in round two - I can't imagine how else you would get the two of them, hence the eye rolls. As for McNabb, I didn't even know you had him. I was just trying to use him as a light hearted example that there isn't a lot of depth at the QB position.  At the time of the post, it looked like he might be out a couple of weeks.  If McNabb (or Romo or even Brees) were out for a game or more, there isn't a lot of QB "depth" to draw from.  On the flip side, most teams are using 2 or more RBs these days, so there's still quality RB options 40-50 guys deep.  I do agree that WR talent had a big drop off this year and would totally have (and did) taken Fitz, Moss, or CJ over Brees, but that's not what Scott was indicating when saying...

#3 Not to brag up my league too much but...Most people stick with the standard RB/RB formula in the first two rounds and as such Brees was still there at the end of Round 2.

Here's a list of guys I would have taken over Brees in most formats: Peterson, Turner, Jones-Drew, Forte, D. Williams, Tomlinson, Jacobs, Westbrook, Fitzgerald, Moss, Calvin Johnson.  I can see others maybe putting 3 more WRs in there along with Slaton.  Maybe Chris Johnson and S. Jackson as well.  So I would have Brees going no later than 12th and would be surprised to see him go later than 18th.  This is why I think it's shocking that the same guy has Peterson and Brees in Scott's league.  I guess if you're in a league with less than ten guys, we're closer to the same page, but in smaller leagues, I would adjust to take Brees even sooner knowing there would be that many more RBs and WRs available later.  

As for my prowess in Fantasy Football, I am 0-1 in the JD league.  That said, I won three of my seven leagues last year (all three cash leagues and trophies to go with them), so I'm no FF slouch.  My 83 points in JD this week would have been enough to dust every team in the league ...except Ruiner.  F'ing ESPN and their last minute report that Berrian was actually going to play this week.  Enjoy your lucky win this week, Cornballer.  There will be a reckoning!   >:D

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2009, 11:32 AM »
People like you always have excuses.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2009, 12:38 PM »
People like you always have excuses.

People like you always have a stick up their arse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2009, 12:10 AM »
Sure has been quiet in the FFL thread - everyone just too in awe of my team to comment?   ;)  Good game this week Brent.  Next up...the Golden Girlz!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2009, 01:00 AM »
In awe?

Let's see.... lost Gore on first play of game; TO goes without a reception for the first time in 190 games (or so) and Shiancoe continues to suck.  Three guys put up basically zero and you only win by 20?  It was a good match, but I'm hardly devastated by the loss.  :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.