Author Topic: The Pirates of the Carribean Thread  (Read 22442 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone psyched for Pirates of the Carribean?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2003, 07:22 AM »
Saw it this past Saturday and loved every minute of it.  Definitely a DVD must buy.  I stayed until the end of the credits - the only person to do so, don't people surf the net anymore to find out about cool things like extra scenes ;) - and saw the cool extra scene.  I have a question about it and I think I have it figured out, but a confirmation would be cool.

Spoilers
The monkey (Jack) swims up and grabs one of the cursed coins and instantly changes into skeleton monkey.  This happens because the cursed coin is taken away from the other ones, I figured that out.  Does this mean that every pirate that lived (Sparrow or the ones that were captured) also turned in skeletons or does the curse affect only something or someone in the same general vicinity as the coins - say a ship (which would explain why the entire Black Pearl ship was cursed)?  I think its the latter, but if not, it could definitely set up any future sequels that may happen.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2003, 05:55 PM »
I too finally got to see this recently with a friend of mine, and she and I both loved it, so it's getting 2 thumbs up out this way.

Depp's rendition of Sparrow is amazing...  Little nervous twitches and almost a drunken stooper look to a guy that's supposedly crazy.  It's a really good acting job, even if there's no basis for comparison but what you know of old Jack Sparrow.

Legolas guy isn't that great, but he's ok too...  Depp just steals the show I think.

And the extra junk at the end of the credits was missed by almost everyone in the theatre.  Always stay for the credits I guess.  Like me and my date, and 2 other couples were all that stayed for the credits I think.

Full ship-to-ship combat makes it pretty great and "big" like a summer blockbuster should be...  It's a great movie, great acting, great subtle comedy, and great memorable characters.

You can't ask for much more...  This one's ranking up there for me I think.  Had even a "Star Wars" kind of  quality to it as far as the character diversity and how you were interested in who they really were.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2003, 12:45 PM »
I liked it
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2003, 11:57 AM »
Saw this on Saturday finally...very good.  Like most movies though that I have liked the past few years this one suffers from an ending that is 30 mintues 45 minutes too long.  The effects were great, Depp was amazing, my wife drooled over Orlando Bloom the whole time it was a lot of fun but they could have wrapped it up a lot faster

One thing of note for me...

Keira Knightley is every bit as hot as her celebrity look alike Natalie Prtman, the resemblance is uncanny which is what makes the old Handmaiden/Queen Siwtcheroo in Episode I so good

Ooo laa laa!

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 9, 2003, 12:50 PM »
 :o  Love that picture Scott!  Thanks!

I had to bump this thread back up to honor my favorite movie of the year, and point out to everyone who may have missed it that Pirates surpassed the magic $300 million mark a couple weeks ago - becoming only the 16th film of all time to do so!  $302,588,000 and growing (barely) according to Box Office Mojo.

Now hurry up and give me the DVD dammit!   :P

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 1, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Not bad. If it's half as good as the first one, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Having the same team behind it is a very good sign though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 1, 2005, 09:54 AM »
I caught this last night as well, and again today, and it looks good so far to me too.  I was so surprised by the first one.  I hadn't really read too much about it, but we saw the commercials and thought we'd check it out.  I was very pleasantly surprised, and it has become one of our favorite movies now.  Definitely looking forward to the second installment (and third).

Offline Dark Destiny

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 1, 2005, 10:11 AM »
The monkey (Jack) swims up and grabs one of the cursed coins and instantly changes into skeleton monkey.  This happens because the cursed coin is taken away from the other ones, I figured that out.  Does this mean that every pirate that lived (Sparrow or the ones that were captured) also turned in skeletons or does the curse affect only something or someone in the same general vicinity as the coins - say a ship (which would explain why the entire Black Pearl ship was cursed)?  I think its the latter, but if not, it could definitely set up any future sequels that may happen.

Only the monkey is cursed because he took a coin out of the treasure. Nothing happened to any of the previously cursed pirates.

The trailer for Dead Mans Chest was good. I like Jack's makeup.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 1, 2005, 10:12 AM »
I saw that trailer last week and was thoroughly unimpressed.  Whoopideedoo, Jack's in trouble and Orlando Bloom won't leave him behind.

I hope that there's more to it than that. 

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 1, 2005, 04:35 PM »
This looks pretty kickass. Looks a leeeeeetle better than the first IMO.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: December 1, 2005, 05:21 PM »
Anyone have a link to the trailer that's not a Quicktime version?

Loved the first flick, and am hopeful for more of the same in the next two.  They need to wet Keira down a little more though...  :P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #42 on: December 1, 2005, 07:17 PM »
They need to wet Keira down a little more though...  :P

Here, here!

I think it looks prettty good. I was obsessed with knights and pirates when I was a wee lad, and I still really enjoy this kind of stuff, I loved the first one. I see most of the production team is the same which is great news. I did notice that the score has been done by Hans Zimmer this time though, which is FANTASTIC news. I really enjoy his work.
"This is the way."

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 1, 2005, 10:17 PM »
Anyone have a link to the trailer that's not a Quicktime version?

Here you go!  Choose either Windows Media or Quicktime.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: December 2, 2005, 12:43 AM »
Looks different.  I liked the first one a lot, and really that was a movie I went in expecting to be underwhelmed but left feeling great.  This looks pretty good, and a little different...  I'm curious to see exactly what the plot could possibly be though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77