Author Topic: Deluxe Series 2 - Hoth  (Read 137906 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Deluxe Series 2 - Hoth
« Reply #90 on: August 5, 2010, 12:24 AM »
Given the Bib, I think a Battle Damaged Luke is still a good possibility.  Since neither S1 Chase was all new, I'm less hopeful about the Rebel Soldier, but maybe Veers in Armor is more likely...Can't wait to find out!

I prefer this.  Variants of the basic figure or repeat chase figures is actually a blessing in disguise -- if you are not a completlist.  What if it's Johnny Depp as a stormtrooper?  Between Fett and Depp, they have the most Kubrick releases.

Wait, why is it a blessing?

And how did Johnny Depp get involved in this.  What?  Are you drunk-posting?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 5, 2010, 12:57 AM »

If they suck you won't want them and you'll save money.
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 5, 2010, 09:19 AM »

I think what Tiny was getting at is that Medicom's love for BF is only rivaled by their love of Johnny Depp (in terms of the number of Kubrick releases there have been of both).  So it wouldn't be surprising if they melded the two and we got ourselves a JD SW figure at some point...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline tiny

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 5, 2010, 08:51 PM »

I think what Tiny was getting at is that Medicom's love for BF is only rivaled by their love of Johnny Depp (in terms of the number of Kubrick releases there have been of both).  So it wouldn't be surprising if they melded the two and we got ourselves a JD SW figure at some point...

Yes, that is what I was saying, but somewhat joking that Johnny Depp might show up in a stormy costume.  I like repaint/repack chases that aren't "character" critical (Yak Face, Logray), so DX1 is a blessing that for less than $100 anyone can get the basic 6 + Jabba.  If regular Bib was actually a 1:96 in this set, lots of folks would be sad.

Offline Bobajode

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 6, 2010, 06:18 AM »

If they suck you won't want them and you'll save money.

Did someone mention saving money in a kubrick forum  :o  ;D

Offline Jonny

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 6, 2010, 07:45 AM »
I don't buy this reasoning.

I think that the chases/unique figures are the thing that keeps this line going. If they continue to release weak chases (ala DX1's Boba Fett) fewer people will purchase Master Cases which means reduced sales which could be bad for the longevity of the line.

I'm not holding out much hope for the chases for DX2 at this stage though...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 6, 2010, 09:23 AM »

I think that the chases/unique figures are the thing that keeps this line going. If they continue to release weak chases (ala DX1's Boba Fett) fewer people will purchase Master Cases which means reduced sales which could be bad for the longevity of the line.

I'm not sure about this.  I've always gottent he impression that the Master Case purchasers out there are the minority when it comes to Kubrick collecting.  Aren't most of these Kubricks purchased in local shops in Japan by the single boxes?  Just look at the whole "insert" thing.  That was geared for store owners to display their kubricks, right?  At least that's how Medicom justified it to all us.

I will agree that for those of us spending big bucks on the chance to score a chase in the wild, these "ho-hum" chases definitely take the glimmer out.  I got lucky and pulled a chase out of a box of 12.  I'm certainly glad I didn't go out for a master case.  I'm still wavering on whether or not I'm just better off going for the basic set of 6+ Build a Fig.  The chases from the Hoth wave will likely dictate my approach for the future DLX waves.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 6, 2010, 09:31 AM »
I think the chases theory is correct.  People may not buy a full master case, but chases are really the only reason to buy a box and I know most people on here bought at least a full box.  If you're not going to have a chance at a cool chase, there's no reason to spend $180 for a box when you can buy your full set off Ebay for half that.

It does stink when really nice chases come out and they are hard to get without laying down a wad of cash, but that is what helps drive greater sales.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline tiny

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 6, 2010, 10:31 AM »
I don't buy this reasoning.

I'm not holding out much hope for the chases for DX2 at this stage though...

By comparison, the weak chases (DX1) are right up there with the weak selection of basic characters for DX1-DX4.  The majority of the basic 6 for all the DX series have become repaints, tweaked repacks, or vinyl capes versions.  If DX2 chases are battle-damaged Luke and blue star Snowtrooper, I'm skipping a box of 12 again.  If DX2 chases are AT-ST Driver and Rebel Trooper, I'm spending some cash.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2010, 10:33 AM by tiny »

Offline Jonny

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 6, 2010, 10:48 AM »
Oh please God don't let them rerelease the blue star Snowtrooper as a chase...Thats just a slap in the face to collectors...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #100 on: August 6, 2010, 12:29 PM »
I have not ordered a box yet, and not sure if i will. This wave actually seems like a bore for me. I only want R-3PO without know what the chase figures are. Anyone buying multiple boxes and think they want to get rid of an extra droid?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 6, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Oh please God don't let them rerelease the blue star Snowtrooper as a chase...Thats just a slap in the face to collectors...

Agreed.

As for the box/case/set issue I've covered it all.  A few times I've bought master cases and had the expected luck but I found it a pain to get rid of all the figures in the end, so spent a lot more money overall than probably necessary.  I've still a ton of red royal guards and biker scouts along with a few others just sitting around collecting dust. 

The box side of things has never been great for me, I just don't have that kind of luck.  I've only ever scored a yellow clone box (2 chase clones) out of probably five or six boxes.  I don't mind going that way to be honest because the number of duplicates to get rid of is usually pretty small.  But at this point I wait to see what the chase are before I order a box. 

For DX series 1 I ordered a sealed set from Ningyoushi and bought Bib off ebay.  For $200 and no extra grief I got the set, the chase I wanted and a tiny chance at a chase in the sealed set.  No score there but that's no different from my typical luck with sealed boxes and I have six less Kubricks at about half the price to unload.  That's working for me.  Sure, I'd like to own the Boba chase but only if I didn't pay extra for it, otherwise it's in the same category as most prequel chase figures are for me - if I get it for retail I'm ecstatic, if not, no biggie.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 6, 2010, 04:55 PM »
While I'm hopeful we will get a General Reikan, FX-7 droid, a Rebel Trooper (or two), or a AT-ST driver/Veers in AT-AT Commander gear, I have a feeling we are going to get a brown coat Han with goggles down, another Chewie with snow effects, or Wampa-damaged Luke.  Considering Medicom released a 'damaged' version of one of their Evangelion basic figures as a chase, I could definitely see a damaged Luke in our future...
« Last Edit: August 6, 2010, 05:00 PM by I Am Sith »
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #103 on: August 9, 2010, 11:18 PM »
I'm with Brent in that I stopped with the MCs w/ Wave 8, lot less work and I get the same bang for the buck

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #104 on: August 9, 2010, 11:23 PM »
I agree on the Wampa Damaged Luke on one of the chases...as for the other FX-7 would be too much of a pipe dream but I have my fingers crossed