Author Topic: Clone Wars Republic Fighter Tank  (Read 10819 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Clone Wars Republic Fighter Tank
« on: June 30, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Surprised there hasn't been a thread on this yet (unless I overlooked it.) Figures since it one of the few Clone Wars items I've picked up.

Anyway, I picked this up and popped it out of it's box - love the toy. Very simple, but very cool. I'm familiar from it from the Clone Wars game from a few years back and have always loved the design. I'm also digging the IJ type display that comes with the Mid-Sized vehicles now.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars Republic Fighter Tank
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:42 AM »
Can someone post a pic of the diroma thingy?  I have Anakin's new ship - thankfully still at the $19.99 price, but it's not ready to be opened.  Didn't collect Indy so not really sure what to expect.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 12:11 PM »
Sounds cool Ant. Yeah, pics would be great to see on this. I'm excited to own one of these. It's been at the top of my vehicle wish list for a long time.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Can someone post a pic of the diroma thingy?  I have Anakin's new ship - thankfully still at the $19.99 price, but it's not ready to be opened.  Didn't collect Indy so not really sure what to expect.

From RS forums

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 12:47 PM »
That looks pretty nice.  Thanks Jay.  Oddly enough between my last post and now I picked this thing up at Target.  It's got some weight to it compared to the Starfighters (which also sport the new packaging)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:53 PM »
It's definitely nice to see the Clones getting some more rides.  It seemed like they were only going to have speeder bikes and Republic Gunships for a while.  But it seems that Hasbro definitely shifted their focus in a positive way for Clone vehicles.  The roster of Clone vehicles since 2005 has been pretty good:

-ARC-170
-AT-RT
-BARC Speeder
-V-Wing
-AT-AP
-V-19 Torrent
-AT-TE
-Turbo Tank
-Saber fighter tank

And Stan has hinted that a Swamp speeder from ROTS is in the works, too.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:54 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 03:36 PM »
Nice display. I'm going to have to scan that in, in high resolution, when I get mine.

The tank looks sweet. My only major gripe is that the side "wings" should tilt down a little. Still, without that option, it's a good looking toy.

Where was it bought at? How much is this retailing for?
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:42 PM »
I got mine at the store of red (see above) for $19.99.  Looking forward to cracking her open when I get home.  Pretty quick wave considering we just got the Magnaguard Fighter and Vulture Droid a few weeks back.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #8 on: July 5, 2009, 08:53 PM »

That thing is sweet. I've wanted one since '02 ... funny that it just came out now, since it hasn't appeared in the new Clone Wars run as far as I'm aware.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #9 on: July 8, 2009, 02:36 PM »
It does look like a great sculpt, but I'm really missing the weathered paint jobs.  Hasbro perfected this on the ROTS Jedi Starfighters, but it seems to cost too much.

On the other hand, it makes me think of a Kenner toy, all plasticy and white, which is fine.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 9, 2009, 09:28 AM »
It does look like a great sculpt, but I'm really missing the weathered paint jobs.  Hasbro perfected this on the ROTS Jedi Starfighters, but it seems to cost too much.

On the other hand, it makes me think of a Kenner toy, all plasticy and white, which is fine.

I still don't get why people want weathered vehicles. Within the SW universe, they're not weathered when they roll off the line and I'm not sure how weathered they would get in battle.  I can't imagine they're always fighting in bad climates and it does get stored on the Star Destroyer or in a base when not in use.  Outside of getting hit by enemy fire, which likely takes some of them out of comission, I don't see why they wouldn't mostly look fresh and clean like this.

From a collector's point of view or a playability aspect, I'd say it's far easier to weather your own stuff if that's how you want it versus having to "clean up" a weathered version if you want to right-off-the-factory-floor look.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #11 on: July 9, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Since I don't think there are too many, if any, examples where there are vehicles rolling off an assembly line, I assume that all the craft have been through some sort of use, especially during the Clone Wars. I don't recall an instance during any of the battle scenes in the Saga where there were "factory fresh" looking vehicles engaged in combat.

For me, weathering is a preference if not a must.

Just my 2¢.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2009, 11:14 AM by Jayson »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 9, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Since I don't think there are too many, if any, examples where there are vehicles rolling off an assembly line, I assume that all the craft have been through some sort of use, especially during the Clone Wars. I don't recall an instance during any of the battle scenes in the Saga where there were "factory fresh" looking vehicles engaged in combat.

For me, weathering is a preference if not a must.

Just my 2¢.

Well, to be fair, there's a lot we don't see in the movies that still makes it into plastic.  I sure don't recall seeing a firespeeder pilot on screen, but I know someone had to be piloting those ships.  Likewise, it makes sense that at some point, all of the ships looked clean and unweathered.  We do see things like the troops deploying at the end of AOTC and all of those clones and vehicles are minty fresh.  In the EU world, all the characters use sonic showers, so you could make an arguement that the ships are just cleaned wehn reloaded, even further cutting down on any actual weathering.  Add in the rationale above as to why they probably wouldn't get that dirty in the first place, and I think it makes better sense to not rough them up. 

I've personally always felt that the Empire was meant to be ridiculously spotless clean.  Look at how pristine the innards of the death star and star destoryers were, or how shiny all the sandtrooper armor was.  Everything is polished clean and cold and machine-like.  That was always symbolic to me of how the Empire was the antithesis of nature and individualism, whereby we see the Rebels making bases out of ice caves or teaming up with teddy bears in a forrest.

Plus, releasing them clean means you can weather it any way you like to create your very own one-of-a-kind collectible!  I would much rather have the facory fresh clean version and am often dissapointed when I see weathered ships or figures, so luckily (or unluckily) they're catering to us both every now and again.   ;)
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #13 on: July 9, 2009, 03:14 PM »
I sure don't recall seeing a firespeeder pilot on screen, but I know someone had to be piloting those ships.

Firespeeder Pilot

In the EU world, all the characters use sonic showers, so you could make an arguement that the ships are just cleaned wehn reloaded, even further cutting down on any actual weathering

I doubt anyone is making fresh from the sonic shower dioramas, but if that's your thing, have at it.  ;D

Look at how pristine the innards of the death star and star destoryers were...

I would be just as upset if they made a DS/star destroyer playset and dirtied up the place. That wasn't its screen appearance, the toy should be that way either.

...or how shiny all the sandtrooper armor was

I'm not trying to change your mind and I don't doubt there was a point were all vehicles and armor were clean, we just don't see it. For me as a collector, I would like scene/reference material accurate toys (within reason of course) where applicable without having to "invest" in a toy to then weather by throwing it in the dirt for more of a Star Wars "look".
« Last Edit: July 9, 2009, 03:44 PM by Jayson »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 9, 2009, 03:54 PM »
I sure don't recall seeing a firespeeder pilot on screen, but I know someone had to be piloting those ships.

Firespeeder Pilot

Okay, but how do we know he wasn't wearing Levis jeans based on that shot?  My point is that I'm willing to take some things on faith.  Do you happen to have a picture that shows the Republic Fighter Tank Vehicle on screen all weathered the way you'd like? 

Nice pic of the sandtroopers. I meant to type "stormtroopers," but was actually thinking you would bring up the dirty sandtroopers while I was typing.   LOL! ::)  I'm not saying the imperials never get dirty, just that its more common to see them and their goodies all fresh and tidy clean.  Intended or not, that's how I always think of them.

Besides, I still stand by the fact that it's easier to make something weathered on your own versus having to clean it up, so vehicles like this should make everyone happy.   ;D