Author Topic: Modern Masters of the Universe  (Read 227214 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Modern Masters of the Universe
« on: July 10, 2003, 03:02 PM »
Please forgive me if there is already a thread for Modern MOTU figures, I looked through the pages here and didn't see one, but if I'm wrong, feel free to merge or get rid of this one :).  Personally, I don't collect this line (yet), but I have been very interested in it from the start.  I just thought I would start a thread where the collectors, or those interested, can discuss this line.  From what I have read on other sites, other than case pack problems, there is nothing but positive vibes about this line.  I would like to start collecting these, but not sure if I could afford it, or if the wife would appreciate me starting another "toy" collection (on top of vintage SW, modern SW, and a few Marvel Legends).  I thought about picking up the regular He-Man just to see what they are like out of package, can he still be found on pegs now?  Anyways, I'd enjoy to hear any of your opinions on the line overall, your favorite figures and why, or anything else relating to this line.  I saw recently that some of the "Snake Men" are coming up in the near future as well (I believe American Dream Comics had some pictures).  Anyways...feel free to discuss!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Modern Masters of the Universe
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 03:10 PM »
Please forgive me if there is already a thread for Modern MOTU figures, I looked through the pages here and didn't see one, but if I'm wrong, feel free to merge or get rid of this one :).

I found an old one here, but it was mostly just reconsgt asking some questions about the vintage MOTU line, so fire away with the modern MOTU discussion right here folks!  I know we've got some collectors of this line roaming these parts...   ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 03:25 PM »
Thanks JediMAC, that's the one I noticed too, but wasn't sure if it was an "official" one or not...I left that up to you mods :).  Thanks again for checking it out though.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 11:47 PM »
Just in case anyone missed it I have an Orko that needs a home.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 11:20 AM »
I love this line and I only recently got into due to the Star Wars drought.

They are sculpted awesome and they just keep getting better with each figure they make. Trapjaw, Whiplash and Orko are my favorites right now.

And the Snake Men are finally be released. I can't wait to get my hands on Kobra Khan as he was my favorite Vintage MOTU figure.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 11:31 AM »
I also really think this line is one of the coolest around.  The updates to the looks of all the MAsters is just awesome!  I buy only the core characters and none of the lamoid He-Man and Skeletor variants.

I got my Moss-Man last week in the mail, one of my all time favorite figure re-made, He is awesome!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2003, 11:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm really on the fence whether or not to collect these, I've heard nothing but positive things about them though.  Just not sure if the wallet can handle it or not.  Anyone have pictures of their collection they'd like to share, or which figures are their absolute favorites...and why?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 03:54 PM »
I was just curious....a question for you experts out there.  I was looking over some of the pics from Toy Fair earlier this year, and I wasn't sure exactly what this figure was supposed to be?

http://207.44.182.109/photo/1/data/532/1DSCN2354.JPG?9656

It looks somewhat like a skeleton or something, you'll have to forgive me, I haven't seen all of the episodes of the new Masters show :).  Anyone have an idea?

***Edit:  Nevermind, after looking through the rest of the pictures, it looks like it is part of the playset that is pictured next to it.  You can view the rest of the pictures here
 http://207.44.182.109/photo/1/showgallery.php?cat=532&password=

if you want to, there is also Roboto and Zodac preview pics here.  Although it is old news, I thought I'd post it here just in case there are other new collectors that haven't seen it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 04:08 PM by mosnab »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 04:13 PM »
Yeah that is a Slime Pit Bone Mutant or something like that, one of the eBay sellers that sells a lot of early SW stuff always has a prototype or two for sale

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45449&item=3138240606

www.he-man.org

Has a great Q&A from Jeremy at Mattel from yesterday, sounds like The Horde is coming.  They have redone the case assortments to be 1:1:1:1:1:1 which means no shortpacking and goodness all around, no more He-Men up the wazoo!

Looking forward to what is in store this week for this line especially, Comic Con and Toy Fair are two of the biggest weeks of the year behind the the week from Christmas to my Birthday!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2003, 04:14 PM by OCB »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 04:02 PM »
One other question about this line (sorry).  Is this a difficult line to collect overall?  As far as finding figures, or maybe there being too many releases or too expensive to keep up?  I think I will only collect the ones I like if I decide to start buying them...plus, even if I were to be a "completist", it would only be with the regular release characters, not the exclusives or "smash blade, super armor, etc" He-Mans and Skeletors.  And most likely, no vehicles or playsets either.  Have there been certain figures that have been a problem to find?  I do realize it will probably be a little more difficult for me if I decide to do this, since I am coming into the game later on.  Thanks again for all the advice and info everyone.  I hope people continue to discuss the line here, when there is anything new popping up :).

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2003, 08:36 AM »
mosnab, I don't collect this line but do look at them in the stores.  The only fig I never saw on the shelves (not counting new waves such as Whiplash, Two Bad and later) is Merman.   Every other fig was readily available, including Beastman and Stratos, whom from what I've gathered were somewhat hard to find.  

You're probably going to have to resort to ebay if your interested in any of the older figs, as they have pretty much dried up.  Most likely the latest wave available in the stores would be Prince Adam and Sy-clone, with Whiplash, Two Badd, Man-E-Faces and Buzz-off showing up shortly (if not out already).  Walmart does have some of the older figs (TrapJaw, Orko, Teela, Triklops) availabe with a video.  I believe the figs are the same exact ones as their single card counterparts, so it might be worth a look.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 08:21 AM »
New MOTU figures

Man talk about beating a dead horse.  Why so many different versions of main characters.  I don't collect this line, but you guys that do must be pissed.  Does any body actually buy all these ridiculous versions of the main characters?

The Fisto and Snake Men figs look good though.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2003, 09:18 AM »
Sweet Fisto!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2003, 04:45 PM »
Fisto was always one of my favorites when I was a kid, I really like how they have updated his look for this new line.  The Four Horsemen continue to do an amazing job with this line, I really want to start collecting it :).  I remember also having a figure named "Jitsu" from the vintage line that often fought against Fisto.  This is a great week for toy collectors, with all the new images coming in.  So many lines are done so well these days.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2003, 12:40 PM »
So what does everyone think of the rest of the MOTU figures that were shown so far this week?  I think Fisto will definitely be a favorite, as well as other figures that we have seen before (Zodac, Roboto..not sure if he was shown this time).  What are your opinions of the new versions of other characters, and the "Snake-armor" versions?  I'm usually not big on variations like that, but some don't look too bad.  I actually kind of like the Stratos they have shown, and the one He-Man with the new armor (not the one with the arms sticking out everywhere).  The Snake Men themselves are pretty cool too, I always remember Kobra Khan being a favorite of many kids when I was younger.