Author Topic: Modern Masters of the Universe  (Read 227258 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Masters of the Universe
« Reply #930 on: July 29, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Is anyone grabbing Marlena Monday from mattycollector.com?

If so, can someone grab me a DCUC Swamp Thing?  I'll be traveling all day on Monday and will be away from a computer all day and don't want to miss him.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #931 on: July 29, 2011, 06:30 PM »
I don't collect these, but am amazed that Fearless Photog is finally being made. Is the person who created him as a kid still alive? Does he get his free one...he should.

Yeah Bitner is stll alive and Mattel contacted him about the figure. He had to sign waivers and all that, they are giving him a case of figures.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #932 on: August 1, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Nice and easy ordering on Marlena just now. Completely different from the HTS fiasco last week.

But I really got my head ripped off for shipping. How can it cost $10.55 to ship one item, and yet take more than a week to arrive?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 11, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Finally received Marlena. It's great. It's great to finally get Cringer too.  :)

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 15, 2011, 12:56 PM »
Good thing these are sticking around a bit longer.  I realized almost 40 mins after the figs went up that I had forgotten about Man-E-Faces.  6 months ago that would have meant I missed him, but I was still able to get one.
So either production numbers are up, or interest in the line has waned.  Either way, I've got him so I'm happy.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 15, 2011, 04:08 PM »
Almost forgot about Man-E-Faces. He's showing as almost gone now, 4 hours later.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: August 15, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Almost forgot about Man-E-Faces. He's showing as almost gone now, 4 hours later.

I've got the sub (at least until the end of this year), so I don't have to worry about Man-E, but it is surprising to see that he's still up there at this point.  A pretty popular character I always thought (one of my favorites at least), and with as quickly as sell through usually is you would think he'd be gone already.  I wonder if they have finally gotten things figured out over there and have more supply, or if interest is waning to some extent.  I hope it is a sign of things to come, because there are some nice figures coming next year that I'd like (Fisto, Kobra Khan, etc.), but I don't think I'm opting for the sub again.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 15, 2011, 11:26 PM »
Mattel had a q&a with the .org where they basically stated the runs will be smaller and there won't be any reissues anymore, so I think that we might go back to four minute sellouts that plagued this line when it started.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 24, 2011, 12:59 AM »
Received my Man-E-Faces today. The secret accessory is freaking awesome. This is already one of my favorite figures in the line.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 24, 2011, 10:48 AM »
Received my Man-E-Faces today. The secret accessory is freaking awesome. This is already one of my favorite figures in the line.

I received Man-E-Faces this week as well, and it is one of my favorite figures of the line as well.  Agreed about the secret accessory - quite sweet.  I decided to skip the subscription for next year.  I had gotten it so far, but there's really only a handful of figures I really want and I'm getting more of a pile of figures I don't necessarily care about.  They are all well done, but I just don't have the space for everything and only have the nostalgia for the ones I had as a kiddo.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: August 24, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Very cool figure, but it sounds like the line is starting to die.  The number of subscriptions purchased for next year is the lowest yet.

Scott (who runs the line) said the offerings will start to slim down.

IMO, he got too cocky with some of the upcoming releases like the Star Sisters 3 pack.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 24, 2011, 11:36 AM »
Yeah, the trouble here is there's too much stuff. I really can't afford a $100 hit every month on luxury items like these, and I know I'm not the only one, so they'll need to slim the line down some.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 24, 2011, 09:53 PM »
There really is way too much. I miss the old days of the basic monthly figs subscription. This all or nothing mentality is coming back to bite them it seems. That and the secondary market seems to have tanked on these, I see tons of etailers and ebay sellers with 10+ of several of these things, some at less than the original price and they still barely move. It was bound to happen eventually, that's the problem with creating false demand with low supply. They're talking about lowering production now, probably hoping to go back to the super fast sellouts so the resellers jump back on board.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 24, 2011, 10:29 PM »
I just don't get locking consumers into every figure made.  That is bound to turn off all but the most die hard collector.  I'm sure even among the die hards there are a few figures you could do without.  Rather than penalize people who don't want a certain figure, why not reward frequent purchases like sideshow or Ebay does?  Every time you order something you get discount points/dollars on a future purchase.  People come back because they feel they're getting a deal and are obligated to use their "free" money.  Or how about doing a pre-order on all items to ensure that you aren't stuck with lots of excess product?  There are lots of other profitable models that seem like they could work for Matty.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 24, 2011, 11:24 PM »
It's inevitable that Mattel will screw up Masters again. . .heck, it's already happening.  It's a cursed brand.