Author Topic: Modern Masters of the Universe  (Read 227763 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Masters of the Universe
« Reply #225 on: February 5, 2008, 02:59 PM »
This article possibly lends more to the rumors of MOTU returning eventually.  I kind of hope we see some sort of commemorative line (rumored when that He-Man figure was shown at CC) eventually, but I do hope that it waits a bit.  It seems like 2008 is going to be expensive enough with Star Wars alone, and I know I'll be interested in a MOTU resurgence.  I always regretted getting into the last line late in the game.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 6, 2008, 11:30 AM »
I was really surprised at how fast this line ended.  It seemed to be doing great in my neck of the woods, and I couldn't help but buy them.  If they do come back, my wife is going to kill me.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #227 on: March 5, 2008, 01:16 AM »
MOTU toy news?!

Mattel will be attending the New York Comic Con from April 18th to the 20th.
And they have a special panel planned for Saturday, the 19th!

It will have some of the same material from last summer's panel at San Diego Comic Con along with new information.

Mattel isn't saying more than what we see in the announcement below, so keep those fingers crossed for something big!

---------------------

Saturday: 2:00-3:00 – Masters of the Universe DVD release! At long last the popular 2002 MOTU animated series is out on DVD! Come help celebrate this release with a special screening of episode 35 –The Power of Grayskull and learn the secret origin of the most Powerful Man in the Universe- HE-MAN!

PLUS- the world premier of brand new MOTU toy news- revealed here for the very first time! Q&A with Mattel toy designers to follow.

:o
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 5, 2008, 09:05 AM »
Thanks for posting that info Ben, that's interesting to hear.  I have to say that ever since we saw that He-Man figure at Comic Con, I've kind of been hoping for some sort of "anniversary/commemorative" series, so hopefully we'll get some news on a new line.  I'm looking forward to hear what's up.  That said, I kind of hope it holds off until next year, because there is just too much stuff out there as it is this year (Star Wars, Indy, Marvel, DC, Joe, etc.).

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #229 on: March 5, 2008, 09:24 AM »
I am going to NYCC, so i am going to try into the presentation.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2008, 09:19 PM »
I had a fanboy geekout moment just a few minutes ago.  I was thinking about this possible new MOTU line, and started thinking how freakin' fantastic it would be if Mattel did Build-A-Figures with this series.  There aren't a lot of large-scale characters, but it could easily be done with a Mantisaur or Modulok...something along those lines.  Anyone with me?

(fingers crossed)  :)

John

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 26, 2008, 01:28 AM »
I want this new attempt to go well. But right now, I'm just waiting until Mattel shows what they have up their sleeve. Hopeully, they actually show something at the con instead of just having 'news.'

Tytus and Megator BAFs would totally rock the house. Could you imagine and endlessly modular Multi-Bot? A line like MOTU could again redefine the toy biz if given a chance.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2008, 08:30 AM »
At this point it is the only thing that would get me to buy into MOTU again. I would love Megator and Tytus BAF.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 17, 2008, 03:27 PM »
I noticed this portion of a press release (regarding the Four Horsemen) that was posted at AFI:

Finally, before returning to their own area of the New York Comic Con, the Four Horsemen will be attending another panel with Mattel from 2:00pm to 3:00pm which will reveal future plans for all things Masters of the Universe related! If you thought He-Man and the gang were dead and gone, think again! It’s a new direction for Masters of the Universe, and you’ve got to be there to get the first insiders’ look!

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the MOTU line.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 17, 2008, 03:38 PM »
I noticed this portion of a press release (regarding the Four Horsemen) that was posted at AFI:

Finally, before returning to their own area of the New York Comic Con, the Four Horsemen will be attending another panel with Mattel from 2:00pm to 3:00pm which will reveal future plans for all things Masters of the Universe related! If you thought He-Man and the gang were dead and gone, think again! It’s a new direction for Masters of the Universe, and you’ve got to be there to get the first insiders’ look!

Could it be an animated line that's "all the rage" this year?   :-X   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 17, 2008, 05:38 PM »
Anybody want some Chase He-Man figures?  I bought these a while back, but would like to get rid of them for a fair price/trade:

- Chase Mechaneck
- Chase Orko (WM Exlcusive with Videotape strapped to front)
- Chase teela (WM Exlcusive with Videotape strapped to front)

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2008, 12:12 AM »

Could it be an animated line that's "all the rage" this year?   :-X   :)

I think Mattel can only ape what Hasbro is doing, and since they're a year or two behind the big H, my guess is they'll do an anniversary/tribute line much like TF Classics or GI Joe 25th.

An anniversary line is the only way I see them going. They tried to capture the youth market earlier this decade and failed miserably.
I'll just have to wait for pics, I guess.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:15 AM by inadvertent imitation »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I think Mattel can only ape what Hasbro is doing, and since they're a year or two behind the big H, my guess is they'll do an anniversary/tribute line much like TF Classics or GI Joe 25th.

An anniversary line is the only way I see them going. They tried to capture the youth market earlier this decade and failed miserably.
I'll just have to wait for pics, I guess.

I think you're right.  Like you said, they're kind of a year or two behind Hasbro's ideas it seems (see the DCUC line as an example there), and He-Man/MOTU really is there Joe or Transformer "franchise" on the boys' side of things.

I think it might be some sort of anniversary line, maybe complete with vintage-styled cardbacks even, and that He-Man we saw at CC last year was probably a bit of a preview of what they will be like.  I think a line like this would be kind of cool, and I'd definitely be interested in picking up at least some of them.  I almost would hope it would wait until next year though at this point, or at least late this year, because SW alone is going to have me pretty tapped out budget-wise.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 18, 2008, 10:43 AM »
Um...Didn't TRU already have a commemorative He-Man series back in 01-02  ???   
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 18, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Those were rereleases of the vintage toys with a few changes (a lip around the feet, new head sculpt for He-Man) and were drastically overpriced. I found mine at KB and WM, so they weren't TRU exclusives, though TRU did have a couple exclusive 5-packs with Prince Adam in the first and Moss Man in the second.

Somebody at the .org who claims to be at NYCC setting up says this new line is called MOTU Classics (nice and original, I see) and thinks it's going to be a very, very expensive line. He does have a photo of Mattel's display being set up, so I don't discount what he says. Clicky.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:23 PM by inadvertent imitation »