Author Topic: Modern Masters of the Universe  (Read 227761 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Masters of the Universe
« Reply #915 on: July 20, 2011, 12:03 PM »
I like the choices outside of the Star Sisters.  That's f'n lame.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:06 PM by ruiner »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #916 on: July 20, 2011, 12:15 PM »
Yeah, I had to go look up what the Star Sisters were, and they were unreleased toys from the She-Ra line. I'd probably go for the sub this year, but that three-pack and the inability to resell it is why I'm not considering the sub.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 20, 2011, 12:20 PM »
lol, they're just messing with the collectors!

The lineup has changed:

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/matty/en_US/pd/productID.233184100

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 20, 2011, 01:21 PM »
Interesting. But I doubt they'd make the Sorceress, one of the most-requested figures, a sub exclusive. Shadow Weaver is also very much in-demand, but not as much as the Sorceress, at least IMO.

I really hope this new lineup is a disinformation campaign and everything gets set right on Friday. But I'd be willing to get sub if Granamyr and not the Star Sisters was part of it.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: July 21, 2011, 01:58 AM »

:o

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: July 21, 2011, 08:02 AM »
I would buy the Sorceress and the Star Sisters.  The female figures in this line are just incredible.  That Man-at-Arms pilot looks pretty amazing as well - wish this stuff was a little cheaper and more readily available.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: July 21, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Ok, I'll ask the Stupid Question as a clueless fan of the vintage stuff.

Why DON'T they sell these in stores? I would really love to hear the backstory behind this radically unorthodox sales approach.

I mean, there's a good chance I would buy all of these if I could just walk into TRU and pick them up off the shelf.

I've never understood that, their business model seems so counter-intuitive.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 21, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Why DON'T they sell these in stores? I would really love to hear the backstory behind this radically unorthodox sales approach.

I've never understood that, their business model seems so counter-intuitive.

Well, there are a lot of costs involved with distributing to retail.  Lots of admin costs for people to sell the product in, negotiate pricing, sign contracts.  Then you need a distribution system to get cases of product to numerous retailers.  You'd likely have expanded marketing needs, operations, a promotions department, HR, and admin people as well.  While they'd likely sell more volume, they would also have a lot more cost to offset.  Since the current system has been around for a while now, I'm not sure its fair to criticize their business model - it is obviously driving profit for them or they wouldn't have stayed around this long.  Sideshow follows a similar path for getting product out and they seem to be doing pretty well too.

I'd love to be able to buy product in stores, but I can see the advantages to this alternate approach. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 21, 2011, 10:43 AM »
Not to mention this stuff would probably bomb without media support to draw in the kiddies and with Mattel likely packing He-Man and Skeletor in every case 3-4 times over with 1 each of every other character.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: July 21, 2011, 10:44 AM »
Thanks, that makes some sense. It still seems odd for a company like Mattel that already has a large retail presence though.

And I really wasn't trying to sound critical, it's just honest curiosity. Most toy marketing is driven by the whole saturation paradigm - get as much product out to as wide an audience as possible to increase profits. These guys are obviously headed in a different direction, but if it works for them that is great.

I also find it fascinating that the new toys are so much more valuable compared to the vintage ones. It's the complete opposite of SW. I probably couldn't get $5 for my old Castle Greyskull on eBay right now.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: July 22, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Just reading through the info coming out of the Matty panel today:

Sept - Leech, Hurricane Hordak
Oct - Icarius, Wind Raider
Nov - Snout Spout, Battleground Evil Lyn, Swiftwind, Bubble Power She-Ra
Dec - Demon Man
Jan - Sorceress, Star Sisters 3 Pack
Feb - Fisto
Mar - Kobra Kahn, Thunder Punch He-Man
2012 Sub - Shadow Weaver

I'm kind of torn on things.  I've had the sub each year so far, and I'm happy with the figures I have - but there are a lot I don't need, or I've just left in the boxes because of lack of space/interest.  I had planned on skipping the sub from here on out, but there is a lot of cool stuff coming in 2012.  I would definitely like to get Fisto, Kobra Kahn, and the Sorceress and don't like my odds without the sub.  Not sure it is worth it just for that.  I could care less about the Star Sisters (especially for $60!).

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #926 on: July 22, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Demo Man looks awesome and amazing to finally get Shadow Weaver.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 22, 2011, 10:29 PM »
I'm also torn. I like the looks of a lot of the basic figures, but i have no need for the Star Sisters 3 pack, or any other more expensive items. I do like that Shadow Weaver though. It's a tough call, and once again could be resolved if mattel would just offer a sub-lite option of just the monthly basic figures only. I'd be down for that.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 22, 2011, 10:44 PM »
I don't collect these, but am amazed that Fearless Photog is finally being made. Is the person who created him as a kid still alive? Does he get his free one...he should.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 28, 2011, 11:38 PM »
Quite a showing from Mattel, as always. I doubt I'll do the sub this year, because I really don't want to get stuck with the Star Sisters or whatever else Mattel has next year that's lame. I can live without Shadow Weaver, so it's no biggie.

Queen Marlena goes up for sale on Monday, right? Hopefully it's easier to get than many of Hasbro's exclusives.