Author Topic: Modern Masters of the Universe  (Read 227816 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Modern Masters of the Universe
« Reply #960 on: December 22, 2011, 01:45 AM »
Was out finishing Xmas shopping and picked up the Zodac TRU set.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 22, 2011, 03:57 AM »
Still have to hunt that one down.  I saw that they intend to keep some figures always up for sale starting next year.  H-M, skelly, Battle Cat and Panthor for starters.  Probably will get some casual buyers hooked on the line.  They should have been doing this all along IMO.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 23, 2011, 08:23 PM »
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/12/23/masters-of-the-universe-celebrates-30-years-in-a-new-style/

If I am reading this right there are going to be figures in this new styling?

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 24, 2011, 06:04 AM »
The new styling is for other products like T Shirts, lunchboxes etc.  They are doing a line of 30th Anniversary figures that they offered a sub for, but they are all new characters.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 26, 2011, 02:23 PM »
The new styling is for other products like T Shirts, lunchboxes etc.  They are doing a line of 30th Anniversary figures that they offered a sub for, but they are all new characters.

I took it that the newly styled art would be used in some new packaging as well, but I didn't see anything in there about the actual figures looking any different...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 14, 2012, 03:33 PM »
New figures shown at Toy Fair:

Spikor
Frosta
generic Snakemen 2 pack
Sir Lazer Lot (Geoff Johns character for the 30th anniversary line)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #966 on: February 14, 2012, 11:13 PM »
Not a great showing, only the Snake Men look good in my opinion.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 15, 2012, 11:31 AM »
I haven't seen all the pics yet, but from what I've seen the Snake characters look great, as does Spikor.  I tend to pick and choose with this line, but I've been really happy with all the figures I've received so far.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 15, 2012, 12:10 PM »
I just thought I'd try my luck at picking up Fisto today (first time without a subscription), and surprisingly I got right through the whole process without a single "red screen" or any other delays.  I even decided to order a Sorceress too, since everything was working fine.  Surprising, I didn't really expect to get through at all.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 18, 2012, 05:11 PM »
Fisto is the best they've done yet on a figure IMO. He has everything he should come with. 

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #970 on: February 28, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Fisto truly is one of best figures made, I only wish they went the the longer King Greyskull loincloth. I heard he went pretty quick, I wanted to pick up another one and Photog since I only have the standard sub but I forgot the sale date. I will pick Photog up at a show or when I see a deal. and one Fisto is enough I decided how to display him.

Sir Laserlot is one step above Spector which is not saying much. He looks/reminds me of those cheap REMCO He-Man knock offs that you could only find at Woolworth's. What horrible vanity pet projects they turned out to be. Toyguru consistently shows himself to be the typical Mattel Marketing d-bag (I worked there for 5yrs, they mass produce them....) who shows how little he knows of MOTU. He is on record saying Flying Fist HM cam before Thunder Punch HM and does not know what appeals to the core fanbase. I hope Spector rots like no tomorrow. Photog made nostalgic sense and the Horsemen designed something that looked like it belonged to MOTU with Draego-Man. (I will surly get him!) the rest are nothing more than wasted tooling. I would have rather seen the tooling go to new Stratos monkey feet or a Alcala styled Power Sword.

I do like the snake-Men 2pk and everything else shown. I can live without the Griffon but it's not as painful as buying the Star Sisters. After Frosta there is not a single POP character I want, they went way to heavy on POP.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 9, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Sir Laserlot is one step above Spector which is not saying much. He looks/reminds me of those cheap REMCO He-Man knock offs that you could only find at Woolworth's.

I bought my first Remco Warrior Beast knock-off at a K-Mart (awesome crow-headed monster in black and yellow). I remember seeing them a few places. Laserlot does sort of look like one of the Galaxy Fighters, another knock-off series.

I liked the knock-offs, they added generic good and bad characters since MOTU had no "army builders" until Horde Trooper.  The snake and reptile characters the knock-off lines always later made nice Snake-Men additions. 

The Remco Warrior Beasts had no armor, but you could give them accessory pack armor or the armor from the jet sled and stilt stalkers.
The sucky thing was Warrior Beasts/Warlord figure had plastic ball socket hips instead of rubber bands...sound better on paper, but they could break off.

I don't collect the modern MOTU. Just felt nostalgic there for a second.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 6, 2012, 05:48 PM »
Not exactly figures, but it sounds like a new (mini) series is on the way this July from DC Comics:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/04/06/dc-comics-he-man-masters-of-the-universe-comic/?xrs=share_twitter

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #973 on: April 7, 2012, 02:52 PM »
Awesome. Can't wait to read it.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 16, 2012, 12:06 PM »
Just placed this months order - and I was happy to nab an Orko.  I got one when they first came out after SDCC, but that one is staying carded.
I hope they re-release Man-at-arms again soon, as he is one of the core figures that I missed during the first go-around.