Author Topic: Waiting for the next Kubrick Series to drop. . . .  (Read 17232 times)

Offline chap

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Waiting for the next Kubrick Series to drop. . . .
« on: July 14, 2009, 09:38 AM »
So I came in the kubrick game just before series 10 & boba fett collection came out.  I have also acquired basic sets of 6,7, and 8.  I'm still working on getting the other basic sets. 

But how do you guys do it?  Everyday I keep thinking, man it would be nice if we had some more info or details on a release date of the deluxe sets!!

Collecting kubricks isn't like collecting vinyl records, because there are always new bands coming out with vinyl I want to pick up with rare pressings to track down.  But the next box of kubricks I get my hands on is going to be oh so sweet/.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting for the next Kubrick Series to drop. . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 10:13 AM »
Get set for some long waits.  Collecting Kubricks is a lot like watching LOST.  Several weeks of excitement with a 9-month wait in between.  At least you can use the gaps to try to fill in the holes from earlier series you may have missed.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:13 AM »
I started collecting in between series 7 and 8.  From what I can remember there was a looooooong drought between those two series (more than a year if I recall correctly).  Series 8 and 9 came pretty close together and then a longish drought to Series 10 and the Fetts.  I have a sneaky feeling that the we'll be waiting at least a year before the deluxe waves start hitting.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:17 AM »
How do we do it, very well Thank You.  ;D

I started collecting Kuby's when I first saw the post that Matt made back in late 2002 when he started a post on the Early Bird set. I hunted one down off the bay for $85. & got hooked. Then a post about Series 1, I oredered a case for myself & one for Brent from Hobby Link Japan. I was on the hunt for the chases & complted that set.

After that it was on to Series 2 which I started ordering a Master Case then more news of other Kuby's coming out. Series after series, box sets, carded... etc. Kuby's a addictive like crack hence the name "crackbricks", once you get one & smell the Kuby fume's ,your hooked.  ;D

We look around the net for places to order from & for a good price if we can, "Hobby Link Japan (HLJ), BBTS sort of, NCSX" I miss RoBBY.  :'(

As said before, a single box or MC is a hit & miss with chases. Some members have done well & others have dried up. It's the name of the game I guess but sure is fun. Not $400 plus fun for a chase tho.  :-\

Medicom posts updates around the 23rd of each month so we can tell if something is coming out plus keeping an eye on the Japan shows like the PARCO which brought us all sorts of Kuby goodness for the next year. Release dates will come out intime & once known they are posted. Box sets, carded & such are mostly the eBay route but when a seller has a good deal someone will post about it.

These things are pricey & will no doubt go up in price like we saw with Series 10 & the Fett collection. Others have come late in the game & sought out the Kub's & take time to finish off sets looking for a good price. Spend what you can only afford & remember patience is the key unless you are a die hard... damn eBay keyboard button :-X   ;D

Offline karamazov80

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 11:01 AM »
I wish I had never heard of the damn things.  Get away before it is too late.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 02:50 PM »
I was able to hold off until series 2 but then couldnt hold back anymore. I would say do some backtracking trying to find good prices in between the wait. Good luck!
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline chap

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 03:16 PM »
Sounds good, I've seen some boxes on ebay of series 9 for like $100, but I may just spring for the basic 6!

I have a ton of backtracking to do, so I best get to it!

Have you guys ever thought of forming a collective of sorts to import Kubs at wholesale?  Like I see about 10 + people or so on here bought boxes of the boba collection, would it make since for someone to become the "importer" and everyone placed their order with this person?  Just a thought but it may prove to be able to save money, I remember reading HLJ does offer wholesale pricing. .
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:18 PM by chap »

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 05:22 PM »
They are evil but I've got it under control...at least I like to tell myself that.

I stopped being a completest a long time ago though, just don't have the $$, even if it was the only thing I bought.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 05:42 PM »
Have you guys ever thought of forming a collective of sorts to import Kubs at wholesale?  Like I see about 10 + people or so on here bought boxes of the boba collection, would it make since for someone to become the "importer" and everyone placed their order with this person?  Just a thought but it may prove to be able to save money, I remember reading HLJ does offer wholesale pricing. .

Jeff was pretty much the designated 'importer' for a lot of folks when Robby.jp was around and the prices were good (better?).  With the loss of Robby though I don't think anyone has really offered anything of a bulk discount that really amounts to wholesale pricing.  With the price increases on the master cases and the shift away from Robby's better (and true wholesale) pricing, the ability of a lot of people to afford a master case for themselves went away.  There's no benefit it seems to ordering a master case from the perspective of getting an individual box out of it.  Well, not quite true - it should improve your odds to getting a 'chase' box to one in two, but with Medicom not guaranteeing anything and seeing the frequency of dud master cases (no 1/96 chase) then that benefit disappears.  I think NCSX may be the future. 

Interestingly in ordering single boxes (as opposed to master cases) my success rate is one in four boxes.  They were only common chases but I was still darn happy. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline chap

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 07:04 PM »

Jeff was pretty much the designated 'importer' for a lot of folks when Robby.jp was around and the prices were good (better?).  With the loss of Robby though I don't think anyone has really offered anything of a bulk discount that really amounts to wholesale pricing.  With the price increases on the master cases and the shift away from Robby's better (and true wholesale) pricing, the ability of a lot of people to afford a master case for themselves went away.  There's no benefit it seems to ordering a master case from the perspective of getting an individual box out of it.  Well, not quite true - it should improve your odds to getting a 'chase' box to one in two, but with Medicom not guaranteeing anything and seeing the frequency of dud master cases (no 1/96 chase) then that benefit disappears.  I think NCSX may be the future. 

Interestingly in ordering single boxes (as opposed to master cases) my success rate is one in four boxes.  They were only common chases but I was still darn happy. 

That makes sense.  I just saw that HLJ offered wholesale discounts to distributors.  Even if someone on here ordered 2-3 master cases and then sold individual boxes to people it may save a little money.  Just an idea I was shooting around, I know when a vinyl record comes out in Europe we do group buys to save on freight etc. etc. 

Maybe its something to think about for the deluxe sets? 

Either way great little community you guys have here, glad I stumbled upon it.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:09 PM »
Have you guys ever thought of forming a collective of sorts to import Kubs at wholesale?  

Jeff was pretty much the designated 'importer' for a lot of folks

Like Brent said, I ran a group buy for Series 5 to Series 9, then we lost our wholesaler (Robby.jp).  Without the cheap wholesale prices, things sort of fell apart for out group buys.

I just saw that HLJ offered wholesale discounts to distributors.  Even if someone on here ordered 2-3 master cases and then sold individual boxes to people it may save a little money.  Just an idea I was shooting around, I know when a vinyl record comes out in Europe we do group buys to save on freight etc. etc.  

I looked into HLJ, but they have a 180,000yen minimum order (pre-paid in full) to enter the wholesaler program and around 500,000Yen in orders per year.  That works out to around $5500 per year in orders...  that total isn't exactly impossible to get to given how spendy Kubricks are getting, but it was definitely way to much to just jump in without researching their program a bit more.  Unfortunately, the S10 and BFC order deadlines passed before I could work out all the details/paperwork with them, so a group buy never materialized this year.      

Buying bulk from HLJ could be an option for the Deluxe Series 1 & 2, but it is still way too early in the process to get anything started there...   if you are one of the new folks, check out the threads for Series 7/8/9 and you will see how the past group buys have sort of worked - we wait for the "official" Medicom website update before we even really worry about getting a group buy list started.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:16 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 11:38 PM »
I got into these figures about 2 years ago and have been hooked since my first purchase.  There are so many different releases and a multitude of Star Wars product, that I don't ever see myself having a complete collection.  In the mean time, I bide my time in between releases by making customs and trying to save money.  The later is a lot harder these days with the way prices have been going, but I'm at least able to afford the basic releases.  The exclusives and chases are ones I'm just going to have to live without until I can either save up enough money (which never seems to be possible with these things) or wait for a great deal to come along (ie. Veers or other forum members thinning out their collections).

I wish you luck in keeping up with your habit...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline chap

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 12:06 AM »
I looked into HLJ, but they have a 180,000yen minimum order (pre-paid in full) to enter the wholesaler program and around 500,000Yen in orders per year.  That works out to around $5500 per year in orders...  that total isn't exactly impossible to get to given how spendy Kubricks are getting, but it was definitely way to much to just jump in without researching their program a bit more.  Unfortunately, the S10 and BFC order deadlines passed before I could work out all the details/paperwork with them, so a group buy never materialized this year.      

Buying bulk from HLJ could be an option for the Deluxe Series 1 & 2, but it is still way too early in the process to get anything started there...   if you are one of the new folks, check out the threads for Series 7/8/9 and you will see how the past group buys have sort of worked - we wait for the "official" Medicom website update before we even really worry about getting a group buy list started.

Cool Jeff.  I think if the deluxe series is going to be anywhere near what I think it will be this may be the way to go.  Just an idea I had, looking forward to the next year in kubs!

Offline chap

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 12:10 AM »
tomorrow is the 23rd! bump for hopefully getting an update.

Offline chap

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 03:15 PM »
Any medicom updates this month?