Author Topic: SDCC'09 Toht, Dietrich, Ark Ghost = HOAX  (Read 40505 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC'09 Toht, Dietrich, Ark Ghost = HOAX
« Reply #75 on: September 4, 2009, 11:17 AM »
I don't get the hatred toward the last movie.  It was pretty damn good considering it had been nearly a 20 year gap since the last one and Ford is now in his 60s.  

Those aren't considerations for making a movie good. Story is all important. The story was so-so. They should have made Darabont's version, it was a far superior script, and no Mutt. The first line set the whole, perfect tone. After the kids speed by the Atomic Cafe on their hot rods, camera stays on Indy, looking after them, he says "Damn kids."

Exactly. A movie is good or bad regardless of how old the star is. And Harrison Ford is too good an actor for his age to matter. The movie was not good and if Harrison Ford hadn't been wearing Indiana Jones outfit and hadn't gone by that name, I don't know I would have known it was an Indy film.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2009, 11:18 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 4, 2009, 12:47 PM »
I wasn't saying that flaws in the movie are excused - but this movie wasn't a terrible disaster like some make it out to be.  There were several things I think they could have done differently, but I feel the same way about Temple of Doom as well.  That film stinks in my opinion compared to the other two from the original trilogy.  But I just take it with a grain of salt because it's still enjoyable.

There are some people who treasure the old style of these films and consider it blasphemy for there to be another one that doesn't fit in 100% with their own view of the Indy franchise.  And that's fine, all I'm saying is that I personally enjoyed this one and think people need to take a few things into account such as this isn't the Indy of the 1930s, this is two decades later - it was a different world after WW2 and this movie captured a lot of that.  It makes sense for him to have aged and for there also to be a younger star in part of the action.   My real only issue with the film was the alien theme, but hey if some guy in India live for a few minutes after his heart is ripped from his chest, this isn't too far fetched of an idea either.

Anyways, if you disagree and thought it was that bad, then perhaps stay away from the next one if it's made.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 4, 2009, 01:11 PM »
Anyways, if you disagree and thought it was that bad, then perhaps stay away from the next one if it's made.

They'll find some way of getting "free" tickets and will still bash it.  I kind of enjoyed the new Indy flick for what it was.  Was it great?  No, but it was nice to see another installment.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 4, 2009, 01:15 PM »

They'll find some way of getting "free" tickets and will still bash it.  I kind of enjoyed the new Indy flick for what it was.  Was it great?  No, but it was nice to see another installment.

I'll pay to see it and hope it's good. And IF it's not I'll say so. I think you can go see GiJoe or TF and just get a good action movie and be happy. But, I expected more from Indy. At least relative to Raiders and TLC.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #79 on: September 4, 2009, 03:45 PM »
It, to me, was the Episode I of Indy films...  That puts it as low as possible in my Indy rankings.  I enjoyed it for what it was, but I was disappointed it wasn't as good as TLC or TOD to me...  I didn't expect Raiders level of greatness at all.

I don't feel Mutt ruined the film, but I don't feel Mutt added to it either.  He was very unnecessary, and did some really dumb **** in it.  The vine-swinging was comically bad, and I felt hurt that sequence.  His sword fighting/fencing BS was bad, and a barely veiled attempt at giving him an iconic melee weapon ala Indy's whip.  The ending was ambiguous on purpose incase the movie was a smashing success, for Mutt's "taking over" to be easily accepted, but also incase they want to do another one with Ford.

I felt Mutt should've been much more "Short Round" than "New Star", and just a secondary character.

Ford was fantastic.  He made even the ****** parts good.  That's why Harrison Ford was the highest paid actor in 2008 (that, and he's incredibly intelligent to get a part of the Box Office too  ;D ).  If there were "Indy" moments in it, he made them.  Neeson and McGregor were great in Episode I...  Doesn't mean it didn't suck, especially compared to all the others.

Part of me is hopeful Lucas/Speilberg can improve greatly upon the Indy franchise if they do another film with Ford, and don't go down this road again, or at least tame it greatly.  Mutt isn't a bad character idea, he was just terribly executed in KotCS.

However, I probably would take another not-so-great film just to get (hopefully) many new toys from the original 3 films. :)  I'm a whore like that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2009, 01:49 PM »
It's really a shame that Hasbro doesn't make some more Indy figures, like this bogus wave, for example, and sell them on their website as an exclusive like Mattel does. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2009, 02:06 AM »
I agree...  The molds for these were tooled so the majority of fixed costs were in on this wave.  I'm sort of surprised they weren't offered in the minimum quantities to turn a quick buck on either Hasbro Toy Shop or some other outlet.  They'd be nice in a sort of "Raiders Boxed Set".  Part of me thinks they're holding over for another film, but that's maybe wishful thinking on my part.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77