Author Topic: Funeral Pyre Vader w/ Luke  (Read 85595 times)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Funeral Pyre Vader w/ Luke
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2009, 01:13 AM »
Can't say I'm that overjoyed. Although a smart concept, it's another Luke and Vader (honestly!). It'll be worth an appropriate price, but at Comic-Con it was reported to be aiming for $44-48.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2009, 01:16 AM »
Can't say I'm that overjoyed. Although a smart concept, it's another Luke and Vader (honestly!). It'll be worth an appropriate price, but at Comic-Con it was reported to be aiming for $44-48.

No one would buy it for $45 and Hasbro certainly knows that. 

$30 - $35 is the most that this would probably move at.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2009, 09:53 AM »
Keep it in the Pit, fellas.

Hey Fella, where did the Sarlacc Pit go? You cannot find it, it was removed and tucked away somewhere in the bowels of the site.

How about you stay in the Pit, we were commenting on the comments that were made/quoted. If it turned into 50 straight posts about Colbert being a blowhard or quoting him in every post, sure it would belong there. Not everything needs to be viewed solely from a political eye as you see it. I think O'Reily is a blowhard too and he leans right but Adam did not quote him for us to comment on. Sal has a right to vent I have a right to agree with him.

The Pit became a private section that you had a certain timeframe thread to post in in order to stay involved. I'm sure if you PM's a mod you could go back if you wanted to, but that was a few months ago. So maybe YOU can't find it, but it's not gone.

I could care less if you guys want to start politicizing toy threads - have a blast. Just trying to give a helpful warning, but if you want to be an ass, be my guest.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2009, 11:13 AM »
Keep it in the Pit, fellas.

Hey Fella, where did the Sarlacc Pit go? You cannot find it, it was removed and tucked away somewhere in the bowels of the site.

The Pit became a private section that you had a certain timeframe thread to post in in order to stay involved. I'm sure if you PM's a mod you could go back if you wanted to, but that was a few months ago. So maybe YOU can't find it, but it's not gone.

That explains it. Interesting.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2009, 12:30 PM »
I could care less if you guys want to start politicizing toy threads - have a blast.

Not that anyone would care, but I'd leave this site in a heartbeat if this ever happened.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2009, 02:09 PM »
My point was that I don't think they'd last long around here if they did.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2009, 02:26 PM »
I am almost certain that I wouldn't even pay $10 for this set if it comes out.  I just don't like it.  I didn't get the Disturbance set either... neither set seems well executed for the way I like to display my collection.

If they make it, fine those who want it can add it to their collections.  I just don't find it that exciting myself... it's really the design that I don't care for more than the actual idea... maybe if the Luke was 100% new sculpt and rocked the house, and they threw in a tree or something to add to the environment appeal (of course that won't happen) I'd be more interested.

I'm guessing they don't sense that this is a sure fire hit, otherwise they wouldn't be asking our opinion.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2009, 05:36 PM »

I could care less if you guys want to start politicizing toy threads - have a blast. Just trying to give a helpful warning, but if you want to be an ass, be my guest.

No one was politicizing anything but you. You read into the posts way too much and I found it very annoying because everything nowadays comes down to divisive politics, can we no longer not like someone anymore just because? I understand thread rules but there was nothing offensive or inflaming. Look at what people say about Hasbro in some of the threads, it gets nasty sometimes. I am glad the Pitt is hidden away I rather stay away. BTW, Thank you for letting me know where it is.

There was nothing that got out of hand. No offense, but you view everything through a political lense so you look for it and it's easy to shape things more than what it is. Just because we think Colbert is a blowhard does not make it a political thread. Adam quoted Colbert, I agreed with Sal about his assessment and it was done. If it was a continuation in 10 consecutive posts I would wholeheartedly agree with you. But c'mon relax not everything is meant on a political level.

I am almost certain that I wouldn't even pay $10 for this set if it comes out.  I just don't like it.  I didn't get the Disturbance set either... neither set seems well executed for the way I like to display my collection.

If they make it, fine those who want it can add it to their collections.  I just don't find it that exciting myself... it's really the design that I don't care for more than the actual idea... maybe if the Luke was 100% new sculpt and rocked the house, and they threw in a tree or something to add to the environment appeal (of course that won't happen) I'd be more interested.

I'm guessing they don't sense that this is a sure fire hit, otherwise they wouldn't be asking our opinion.

Wow, I really thought you of all people would be a shoe in for this set. Disturbance in the Force was actually very nice in terms of lighting effect and the speaker clarity. While it's more of a novelty the $15 price point was very reasonable. If this was $20 I have to say I am surprised the hardcore fans would not be into it. Pieces like these open the doors to other niche pieces.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Get a room guys. 

And just let it go.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2009, 09:17 PM »
No one was politicizing anything but you. You read into the posts way too much and I found it very annoying because everything nowadays comes down to divisive politics, can we no longer not like someone anymore just because? I understand thread rules but there was nothing offensive or inflaming. Look at what people say about Hasbro in some of the threads, it gets nasty sometimes. I am glad the Pitt is hidden away I rather stay away. BTW, Thank you for letting me know where it is.

There was nothing that got out of hand. No offense, but you view everything through a political lense so you look for it and it's easy to shape things more than what it is. Just because we think Colbert is a blowhard does not make it a political thread. Adam quoted Colbert, I agreed with Sal about his assessment and it was done. If it was a continuation in 10 consecutive posts I would wholeheartedly agree with you. But c'mon relax not everything is meant on a political level.

Ok, dude, chill out.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2009, 10:23 PM »
I'll reitterate what Rob just said...  Not in here.  Take it to the Pit.

And for the record, Colbert, while a comedic personality, is politically charged too, so commenting on him in a toy thread is not appropriate at all from anyone...  So that's also not acceptable.  Kindly just keep it to the Pit...  I don't care if you even start a thread about it there. :)  Nothing more of it after my post here though, would be appreciated.

As far as Pyre Vader w/Luke goes, and pricing...

$45, seriously?   I don't bite on that.  What was the cost of the floating Emporor head?  I paid full price for him and actually really am glad I got that.  It's one of my favs on the Impy shelf.  I don't think Hasbro would do this for $45, especially since they're clearly only tooling the pyre it appears (unless they tweak his right arm to not have a hand).  I could be wrong on that of course, I just paid $17 each for a whole bunch of rehash with little new to it.

As far as wanting a tree...  CHEWIE, I love some of your ideas, but I think you're huffing paint if you think getting a tree would be a good accessory. ;D  Can't you just put the two logs from the Endor UBP up on their ends?  Instant trees!  Seriously though, a big tree is about as far down on the list of big background scenery I'd like to have, as it can get.  The pyre Vader's lying on burning because his Son is saying goodbye...  That seems slightly more iconic and a "center piece" type deal.  That's what I'd be looking for, for these "deluxe accessory" type sets, which let's face it, that's what we're basically looking at.  A very deluxe accessory to a figure.  One could argue that's sort of what the Yavin IV battlepack was.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2009, 01:05 AM »
Well, I'm into dioramas as you probably know Jesse, and Endor is full of... TREES.  But I know that Hasbro would not do a good job with trees, the UBP logs are about the cheapest looking plastic I have ever seen them use; so no thanks to a tree by Hasbro. 

Like I said of course it's not going to happen, so I was just throwing out an idea as to what I think would make it look more appealing to me at the price that's been floating around.  But again, realism in wood work is not Hasbro's strong suit anyway. 

And the Disturbance set didn't do it for me because I didn't like how the Palpatine base attached to the other section; I saw one in person that a friend has and I am glad I passed.  If the Palpatine head had been a free standing section, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat but that attachment section on the front of it kills it for me.  I guess I am spoiled by the things that Owen makes still, though I only have one project in the works with him now... and ironically, it's a big TREE playset for Wookiees.   :D

Like I said though, I think the idea of this set is fine, I just thought the mockup they showed looked rather weak. 

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2009, 01:24 PM »
Ahh, that's good to know! This is an interesting "Battlepack". Will be nice to see some close-ups and find out. I know a lot of people have wanted this Vader. And with this pyre, can we expect a Qui-Gon one to follow?

Haha, doing a Qui-Gon funeral pyre would be innapropriate for children, and as such, some parents would feel awkward buying it. :-[ But think about it. The Darth Vader pyre is the essentially burning of his armor, since he passed on to the spiritual plane (if Hasbro makes this, Vader better not have a removable helmet. There's no body in there, it's just his armor and cybernetic bits that Luke burns). Making a Qui-Gon set would be somewhat morbid, since it's the ACTUAL burning of his body. Making a Qui-Gon-on-fire set to sell to kids and collectors would be weird  >:D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:25 PM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2009, 01:36 PM »
I've been under the impression that Luke did burn Vader/Anakin's physical body as we didn't see him pass on or "disappear" into the force as Obi-Wan and Yoda did. And, if Hasbro were to do it right, Vader shouldn't include his right hand since he lost that down the reactor shaft courtesy of Luke.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2009, 01:48 PM »
I've been under the impression that Luke did burn Vader/Anakin's physical body as we didn't see him pass on or "disappear" into the force as Obi-Wan and Yoda did. And, if Hasbro were to do it right, Vader shouldn't include his right hand since he lost that down the reactor shaft courtesy of Luke.

I don't have a link, but to clear it up for you, if you go to Wookiepedia and search Darth Vader, it says that what was left of his organic body dematerialized. Yeah, we don't see it happen, but he passed on like Yoda and Obi-Wan did (makes you wonder why Qui-Gon didn't). So all Luke is burning is his armor.