Author Topic: Dream Toylines  (Read 25110 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Dream Toylines
« on: July 11, 2003, 02:48 PM »
What Line hasn't been made yet but you wish someday a manufacturer would pick up the license and run with it

For me I have the following wishes:

Indiana Jones Preferrably by Hasbro and same scale as SW
Ghostbusters Movie line not the cartoons, very realistic...I'm thinking McFarlane
The Goonies One of my favorite movies and would make for some neat figures
M.A.S.K. Re-Release, these were the best toys of the 80's behind GI Joe in my book, up the scale to 3 3/4" and bring back a new cartoon...mmmmm

And right now at #1 is Sesame Street style Muppets figures

Someone is sitting on a serious goldmine
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 02:50 PM by OCB »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Toylines
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 02:54 PM »
Indiana Jones - lots of potential here
Robotech - So many characters, and great vehicles.  Matchbox didn't do it justice
Predator - The movie.  Just the Predator alone isn't enough, how about the Special Forces team with Dutch and Blaine?
Starship Troopers - Mobile Infantry against bugs anyone?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 03:13 PM »
Indiana Jones!   ;D

Buffy Legends: ML style line devoted to Buffy / Angel figures, by Toy Biz or Art Asylum, anyone who actually cares.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 03:16 PM »
Star wars:ohhh riiiiiiiiight
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 03:58 PM »
For me, it's not about property so much as format.

All of my dream toylines would be in 3 3/4" scale; small, collectible, and poseable. I love this scale since it's a space-saver, allows for a LOT of diversity, is usually pretty affordable, and is small enough for some decent sized vehicles, playsets, or homemade dioramas. Those are the rules; here's my list:

- Star Trek - Art Asylum has great sculptors but c'mon, 7" figures? Who's got that kind of space after you do the crews from each series? Get with the program! And give me Bridge Playsets, dangit!

- DC Comics - DC Direct has a superb line of 6" figures, but I'm looking for Super Powers 2, with a line as diverse and easily available as DCD's line. But with VEHICLES and PLAYSETS!

- Muppets - The only reason I DON'T collect this line is scale. I love these guys but again, little space.

- Space: 1999 - I had some of these toys as a kid and watched the show religiously. I'd buy these by the gift set if someone offered them in 3 3/4" scale. Gimme a big honkin' Eagle Transporter, too, while you're at it.

- Marvel Comics - Take most of the figures from the Legends and Spidey Classics lines, scale 'em down, take out some of that nasty looking articulation, and I'll buy a ton to go with my DC figures.

- Indiana Jones - While 21st Century acquiring this license would be the obvious way to go here, they're a wee bit big for 3 3/4" scale. Still, all that wonderful 1:18 scale WWII stuph shouldn't go to waste. :D

- The X-Files - Yeah, McFarlane did movie figures, but there was also a TV series that was never capitalized on, a few years worth as I recall. Cancer Man, the Lone Gunman, and the rest really need to be immortalized in plastic.

- American Idol - Why a toy manufacturer hasn't jumped on this hot TV property is beyond me. Put out a 3-pack of judges with an electronic base that includes phrases from "I think you could do better" to "That is the worst sound I have ever heard bar none."

- Friends - You know, Friends. Joey, Monica, Chandler, Rachel, Ross, and Phoebe? Maybe Richard and Ursula? Ross' ex-wife and Ban would be fun.

- Seinfeld - The best part of this line is that the figures don't really have to do anything to stay authentic to the show. Jerry's apartment is a must-have playset, and maybe the Soup Nazi's kitchen.

There are probably dozens of properties out there I'd be totally into. Gimme a TV Land assortment including Adam West's Batman, George Reeves' Superman, and Gilligan's Island. I'm an Abbott & Costello fan, as well as a Universal Monsters afficionado.

Just give it to me in that beloved 3 3/4" scale.  ;D
Post sober.

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 04:05 PM »
NUMERO UNO for me... (and I tell my wife and kids consantly when we watch  :D)

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

The possibilities are endless w/ this line....

I mean each child as well as each parent/guardian
Then each child in their variant form
Willy and his Oompa Lommpas (even they'd have variants)
Playsets out the wazoo...
Vehicles...

This line could be an incredble one if it was executed just right. You could add electronics, scratch n' sniff (the snoozeberries taste like snoozeberries)...

If only...

Hey anyone want to hire me that runs/owns a toy cpmpany  ;)
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2003, 04:06 PM »
Great topic, I can't really think of any other ideas that haven't already been mentioned.  The ones I have always thought about/wanted:

Indiana Jones (SW size and style)
Seinfeld (my all time fave show, I think a line of these would do pretty well)
Goonies (agreed, that would make a cool line of figs too)

I'll also second the MASK redo idea, I thought that toyline was great when I was a kid.  Otherwise, my favorites from my childhood have pretty much be resurrected in great style (He-Man, Marvel, GI Joe, and the new Batman figure looks nice).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 04:07 PM by mosnab »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2003, 04:07 PM »
Gilligan's island

Hmm, me like.  

Never mind the Ginger Mary-Anne debate (the latter) but you could do the figures, have the Boat (with sealing, removable hull damage), all of the huts, the island "natives", gorilla, Wrongway Feldman (?); accessory packs of the professor's inventions.   ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2003, 04:14 PM »
- Space: 1999 - I had some of these toys as a kid and watched the show religiously. I'd buy these by the gift set if someone offered them in 3 3/4" scale. Gimme a big honkin' Eagle Transporter, too, while you're at it.

A big Eagle One Transporter  eh!
Lucky I still have mine & the 9" figures.  :-*

For me I would like to have anything from Blade Runner

Offline whojedi

• Youngling
  • BH-5334
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 04:20 PM »
Family Guy!!!

...or at least a Stewie figure!

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2003, 07:23 PM »
Only 2 lines of figures stand out in my mind.

Krull- movie figs for this one would be great.

Army of Darkness-Sure we've got the larger Ash and Bad Ash figs, but wouldn't you like some 3 3/4" size figs of Ash, Bad Ash, Ash's chick, the smithy, the weasel guy who whips him at the biginning of the movie, King Arthur, Prince Henry the Red, Skeleton warriors...
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 08:44 PM »
This is a great topic!  Here are my choices...

- "I Love Lucy" = This is one of my favorite TV shows, and there are so many possibilities for this line.

- "Gladiator" = Awesome movie, endless action, lots of different characters... how could this NOT be done?

- "WWE" = For those who don't know what this stands for it's World Wrestling Entertainment.  All the figures that have been made in recent years suck!  If McFarlane could take this line over it would just rock.  I don't own any of these figures because they just suck.

- "The Three Stooges" = How many shows were made?  I could see endless opportunity with this genre.

- Multiple Cartoon Lines = What would be great is if they did an entire line of different cartoon shows.  Here are some examples... Underdog, Warner Brothers (Bugs Bunny & Co.), The Flintstones, South Park, Tom and Jerry, Voltron, Woody Woodpecker, The Bullwinkle Show, etc.

- "Seinfeld" = I know this was already suggested, but it's a great idea!  They could probably do about 3 screen scenes or more for each episode that's been made.

- "Time Bandits" = This was an awesome movie as a child, and it's even better as an adult.

I'm sure I can think of some more, but that's all my brain is dishing out at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 08:45 PM by dustrho »
dustrho

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2003, 09:39 PM »
Star Wars:  Yeah, a GOOD (And by good I mean competitive and near flawless) toy line completely in-scale with each other (3.75"/1:18)...  The ultimate toy line in honor of the greatest series of films ever.  No corners cut, no holds barred, and no thoughts to varying demographics...  Just the collectors.

Star Trek:  A great and expansive 3.75" line for the modern Star Trek Series and movies would be so wonderful...  Something akin to my Star Wars ideas, but just set in the continuing missions of the U.S.S. Enterprise and her various spin-off series like DS9, and the films like First Contact and Nemesis...  Great series deserving of great toys.

Indiana Jones:  I'm predicting this will be the most mentioned series here...  And rightfully so...  IJ is a long overdue series of great toys.  Again in 3.75" and done as flawless as a toy line could be done.  

IE:  Hasbro can't do it.

Starcom:  The U.S. Spaceforce would be great if it was brought back, and given updates...  I'd keep the small scale it was in before, but build on it with things like removeable helmets, maybe extra articulation (Possible now), and such...  Starcom rocked, and was ahead of its time when it came out way back when.  I've often considered selling my collection only to realize I have to keep it...  Too bad it's so underappreciated as a toy line.

G.I. Joe:  When I was a kid, Joe was THE toy line...  Today, it's got a broad appeal and is really the flagship license for Hasbro anymore, but it's not what I'd like it to be personally...  I'd take the possibilities of todays articulation/features/sculpting, and give Joe a make over in the 3.75" scale...  The feel of the original 1982 line would be there (The "realistic" feel/look) while the figures would be 10x as detailed, poseable, and accessories galore.

Joe still captures my attention, even if it's not my "thing" anymore, and I think it's the greatest toy line ever...  No other toy line but Barbie and Lego can possibly even hope to acheive the longevity in the industry, nor the massive ammounts of success.

Nothing but the absolute best could compete with my childhood memories of playing with the best toys I ever had.  Yo Joe!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2003, 10:42 PM »
Indiana Jones would be fantastic, especially with all proper scale accessories (like 21st Century Toys)

Ultimate Star Wars: Going along with JJ here, ultimate versions of each character, decked out in well masked articulation (ala 21st Century Toys). Properly scaled vehicles and accessories (which wouldnt go much farther than starships). Authenticity and detail and displayability over playability. A collectors only line (also the same direction I'd like for Indiana Jones). If the vehicle is too big, then it wont be scaled down. Either they will risk it and make large scale vehicles, or portions (like a MF cockpit and other portions of the Falcon, as dioramas). The line would also go into EU, and crank out an equal amount of detail. Loads of scene and diorama sets, enough so much that each figure in the line will have a predetermined compatible scene or diorama, so everything is displayed :)

Star Wars Clix: Ala HeroClix, only Star Wars, once again properly scaled (allowing for massive vehicles), with environmental and architectural kits

An action figure scale LOTR line, once again going along the same requirements as Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Battle Beasts, re-released, maybe slightly updated but holding very true to their original form

M.A.S.K. re-released, once again allowing slight updates but holding true to original form

Kubricks: US: No changes, I just want Kubricks to be imported to the retail market in the US so I dont have to go through hell and back to get them ;)

Goonies: 3 3/4 line (once again with Star Wars requirements) with a large ship scene diorama. Maybe a larger McFarlane style line as well, depicting certain favorite scenes
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2003, 05:12 AM »
Awww crap how did I forget LOTR!?!?!

You're right, I want a 3.75" LOTR line...  EVERY character made, and made to perfection...  Uruk-Hai sold by the 10-pack...  Same with Rohan soldiers, Gondor soldiers and rangers, Moria Orcs, and they could go further into Middle-Earth lore beyond the films and the trilogy and do various "EU" Dwarves, elves, etc...

I mean THIS would be a huge line I think...   Figures and monsters out the whazzoo...  Oh the diorama's I would create!

Functiioning sheathes for swords and daggers...  Bows with quivers of arrows...  Cloth cloaks for super poseability...  NO action features what-so-ever...  Immensely detailed inter-connecting playsets...  Every character done in every outfit with the best detail and articulation imagineable...  

Heaven would be carded if this were the case. :)

And then Lego would get a license to do LOTR as well...  Talk about some great medeival lego sets.  ;D  Helm's Deep Lego style?  Oh yeah....  Mini-figure Orcs?  Yup.  It was an obvious license Lego just shoulda gone for.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77