Author Topic: The always charming Jake Lloyd  (Read 8370 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
The always charming Jake Lloyd
« on: July 25, 2009, 01:16 PM »
Wow! After watching the recent Yahoo interview with Jake Lloyd, I like to put him on our unofficial dead pool list. That is one depressed sarcastic kid. Oh woe is me, I was made fun of in high school for ruining ep1. Well, guess what. You did! I still look at those screen tests on the ep1 dvd and wonder why they chose the worst one. Didn't George see Jingle all the way?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline A.J.

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: The always charming Jake Lloyd
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:23 PM »
I always thought Episode 1 was the best episode  ::). Probably because it was the first one I ever saw back when it was in theatres.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 03:56 AM »
While I personaly felt Lloyd himself ruined the film.

Jar Jar?  Sure...  He wasn't great, but he didn't harm it as much as Anakin's acting and dialogue did.  The dialogue you can blame on George, but the little kid in the film was really the problem IMO, and better child actors were available.

Then again, E1 could've easily never even happened, and we could've started at the E2 timeline and rearranged characters and whatnot.  That's how I would've gone about it anyway, but that's me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 11:03 AM »
Then again, E1 could've easily never even happened, and we could've started at the E2 timeline and rearranged characters and whatnot. 

That is pretty interesting considering they basically reintroduce Anakin in E2. Could that elevator ride with Anakin and Obi Wan been used as Anakin's first appearance? I had not considered this.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:19 AM »
That's true and you really didn't need Qui-gon Jin either. Count Dooku could have easily served as Obiwan's master that had fallen to the dark side. This would have been a great for-shadowing of  what was going to happen to Anakin.

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 01:36 PM »
That's true and you really didn't need Qui-gon Jin either. Count Dooku could have easily served as Obiwan's master that had fallen to the dark side. This would have been a great for-shadowing of  what was going to happen to Anakin.

Dang. Even though I am old enough to have seen the OT in the theaters, I am also a PT fanboy. I am pretty content with the movies but I got to say, I love your idea as well. If AOTC was E1, and ROTS was E2, we could have had a movie with Vader hunting down Jedi. Dang!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 01:11 PM »
I caught this last weekend as well, sure seems like a miserable kid, doesn't he?  I'm sure he's taken his share of crap over the years though too.  Sure, he was probably one of the weakest links in TPM (and there seemed to be other actors better suited), but it is too bad he had to bear so much of the brunt of that as a youngster.  That being said, I'm not necessarily making excuses for him either.  It isn't like anyone forced him to audition :).

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 06:21 PM »
It isn't like anyone forced him to audition :).

Odds are his parents forced him into the audition thinking they are going to get rich. They probably did get rich and screwed Jake out of any royalties. I wonder what his contract was like?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 07:00 PM »

Dang. Even though I am old enough to have seen the OT in the theaters, I am also a PT fanboy. I am pretty content with the movies but I got to say, I love your idea as well. If AOTC was E1, and ROTS was E2, we could have had a movie with Vader hunting down Jedi. Dang!
Jesse stole my idea >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 02:36 AM »
No theft, just always agreed with it. :)

One of my gripes about the PT is that 1/3 of it has no central conflict...  ANH, ESB, and ROTJ all revolved around a central, single, war.  That's part of the very title, "Star Wars", to me.  TPM was a relatively peaceful time, and tried too hard to get you quickly acclamated to the "politics" of the saga.

Nix E1...  Make E2 E1...  Make QGJ/OWK find Anakin at his 17-ish age.  Have QG killed by Dooku (make Dooku much more sinister), and the Clone Wars start and all...  Obi-Wan gets promoted to knight, and takes on Anakin as his Padawan (the advanced age thing REALLY would reinforce the council's resistance to training him despite his huge midichlorian count...  It also ties well to Yoda's refusal in ESB to train Luke...  Again, foreshadowing).

E2 (now E1) ends with the Clone Wars starting, OWK taking on Anakin as his Padawan who is pretty old but enough of the council believes he's the chosen one and such.  QGJ's killed by Dooku who Anakin forms an early bond with and who he was already becoming too attached to.

Now make E2 out of the Clone Wars...  You have that central conflict going on.  Lots of Warrin' and things.  Expand the Padme love story here...  His mother's death as well.  But make the Clone Wars something that are changing him internally...  War's bringing out his darkest side, Palpatine's playing the puppet strings, etc.

And then make E3, E3 as it was, more or less.  Kenobi and Anakin have aged from the war, Anakin's hidden thing with Padme, etc. 

I just really feel the whole Trade Federation/Naboo bull**** was worthless, Anakin being a child when they find him was 100% worthless and adds nothing (to me, it makes even more sense if he's actually fairly old and Yoda's vehemently against his training), and so on and so forth.

But I totally agree with Scott on it.  E1's an unnecessary film all together. 

Oh, and I'm even cool with Jar Jar being in there in the "revised" E1/E2...  Maybe cut him back some, but I'm not against him entirely either.  Anakin as a child is my main gripe, and I'd gladly do without his part in the film (Lloyd that is).  I'd say he'd be happy to oblige if he could turn back time. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 12:36 AM »
I personally would have loved to have seen more of the 20 years between the trilogies on film instead of leaving it for TV.  And I agree Jesse, Luke was 20ish at the the start of ANH why not Anakin the same age to mirror the stories better.  Lloyd sucked balls and he deserves all of the **** he gets.  I can imagine him being a little ******* pre-madonna during the shooting and all that

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I've always liked Scott's ideas for the PT as well (and as Jesse laid it out above too).  I think the films would have been better, and better received, if we started with a teenage Anakin in Episode I (the "too old" mirroring with Luke is a great point too).  Then, having all of AOTC focus on the growing love between Anakin/Padme, and some full out Clone Wars goodness (like we're seeing on TV now, although likely focusing more specifically on Anakin/Obi in a movie).  ROTS was a great movie as-is I think, but like Scott mentioned it would have been nice to see a little more of that gap between the two trilogies covered.  Its too bad we can't go back and see it done over again ;).

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 02:06 PM »
Lloyd sucked balls and he deserves all of the **** he gets.

Totally.  **** that nine-year-old kid.  I hope he burns in hell.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Lloyd sucked balls and he deserves all of the **** he gets.

Totally.  **** that nine-year-old kid.  I hope he burns in hell.

I'm sitting here at work laughing my a** off at that.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 02:17 PM »
You can say ass Nick.   ;)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN