Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread  (Read 68317 times)

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread
« Reply #225 on: April 6, 2010, 11:06 AM »
What confuses me with Bane is where do his loyalties lie?  During the first couple episodes it was clear that he was doing a job for the Separatists, which he got paid for.  But its seemed more like he was just another Separatist leader in more recent episodes (wasn't he commanding a Separatist Cruiser at one point...).  Hondo is loyal to his pocketbook.  Hence his comments about "this venture is no longer profitable".  If it suits his interests he'll work with the Jedi, if it doesn't he'll work against them.
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #226 on: April 6, 2010, 05:10 PM »
Yeah, except the silent stranger was always a GOOD GUY.

He was?

He was better, but he had no loyalties to anyone but himself...  He had a good streak in him where he'd do kind things but he also ran with an outlaw in TGtB&tU where they scammed towns out of reward money for the hanging of Tuco, and he was every bit the criminal...  Similar in later movies where Eastwood carried the character (or the premise of the character) on, such as Unforgiven and Pale Rider.

That's the point of those movies...  He's The Good, but he's not always good...  He's good hearted, but still a criminal, a liar, and has no ties.  He's more "good at what he does", than just plain good.

I think the better analogy I should've made is that Cad Bane is a mix of Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Clief's characters in those Westerns.  Both are fairly quiet, mysterious, and both have mean streaks and a badassery to them.  They're both opportunists, and both are loyal to themselves above all others.  Bane leans more towards Van Clief's character then from TGtB&tU then I suppose since Clint Eastwood's has a good streak in him where he feels for others to some degree.  Bane, not so much.  Actually Bane's look is even a little more Van Clief than Eastwood too.

The basic idea is he's a nod to Sergio Leone characters, same as Embo's a nod to Kurisawa's...  I'm not real familiar with Kurisawa movies in detail, but I wonder if there aren't similar characters throughout them then.

I think (in response to Keonobi) Bane's loyal to who pays him, and Dooku sees him as a good choice to do some work for them they need done, and pays up to get it done...  They're happy to give him control.  It's like Durge on Muunilist...  The Sep leaders were in charge but ultimately they didn't control Durge and he had his own Sep army at his control.  Paid to whip some ass and given the tools to do it.  If the Republic weren't as bogged down as it is, they'd maybe be paying for help like that too.

Hondo's interesting...  I don't know who he's based on really.  Jack Sparrow?  That seems the closest thing possible, though he's not as clever or interesting a character by a longshot.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2010, 05:12 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #227 on: April 6, 2010, 06:04 PM »
I managed to watch this week's new episode "Zillo Beast" which is another homage, this time to the classic Godzilla story. There are some very cool ground battles that culminate in the deployment of a new Republic weapon. There is also a neat M.A.S.H. easter egg in this episode as well.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 7, 2010, 10:44 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 6, 2010, 08:56 PM »
Zilla Beast? Really? ::)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 10, 2010, 06:36 PM »
Cloverfield monster....Nice episode with the Duggs.  Looking forward to the finale.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 10, 2010, 06:45 PM »
What did the Dugg's clay pigeon launchers do?  I saw where they hit the droid fighters, but I missed what they were supposed to do to the Zilla.  Also was there some sort of inter-clan business with killing the Zilla?  The Duggs seemed to be scheming.
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2010, 12:50 AM »
Lots and lots of coolness in that episode...

First, the Zilla Beast being an homage to Godzilla and King Kong is great.  You can see the more Kong-laden episode in next week's, but there were definate overtones in this one. 

I liked the nod to a "superweapon" bringing about Zillo's existance too...  It was hardly an atomic blast, but it was big and did some awakening.

Also the "Dugs are pricks" message was interesting I thought...  They're careless with their own planet, like to blame others, and just sorta seemed like sneaky jagoffs at the end of the day, that hated something tha twas just trying to survive.  Again it's a Zilla-ish overtone there (those who liked him and those who wanted to destroy him struggling against one another). 

Then putting him to sleep?  Classic Kong stuff.

I caught the weird nod to MASH too...  Why?  Hmmm.  It's neat, but there didn't seem to be a reason for it, plus one's dead anyway.

I really liked the way the episode opened up too...  That's combat in the Clone Wars more as I imagined it.  Big battles, insanely overwhelming Separatist forces facing Clones that are outgunned but are better fighters.  That more represented what we saw in Episode 2 than I think many episodes have shown.   The movie was more like this, as was the Geonosis Story Arc.  I liked seeing a really massive generic Sep army though, ready to do real battle over an important planet for its resources.

It's like Germany wanting to divert their attack on Russia to capture the oil fields in the South, or the entire conflict in N. Africa in an effort to capture and control mid-east oil fields in WW2.  The fight over resources to simply keep fighting.

This was one of my more favored episodes of Season 2 so far...  Right behind Landing at Point Rain.  It helps that I grew up loving classic horror monsters like Godzilla and King Kong too, haha.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2010, 05:47 AM »
Why dugs?  Aren't they from the Tund system?  I thought Grans were from Malestaere.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2010, 09:49 AM »
Why dugs?  Aren't they from the Tund system?  I thought Grans were from Malestaere.
Dugs are native to Malastare, they are represented in the Senate by Grans who had also had colonies there

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2010, 03:27 PM »
It was cool to see so much of the Seperatist arsenal arrayed in the battle scene.  The Retail Droids made another appearance.  The ranks looked imposing.  And by the same measure the electron bomb affected not only the Seperatist forces, but also a lot of the Republic gear.  The small detail of Anakin's robotic arm being affected was a nice touch.

The M*A*S*H* reference?  Very funny.  Once I heard "Trapper, Rex, Hawkeye" I nearly bust out laughing!  The homages to past material has been almost a little over the top.

As for the Zillo beast?  The Godzilla references were almost hamhanded.  But the storyline of what to do with the Zillo beast was interesting.  The clashing of the Jedi ideals with the Dugs plans added to the overall tension.  And when it came to Palpatine's reactions about the Zillo beast being impervious to a lightsaber?  That was one of the few insights we've seen in the Clone Wars about Palpatine's Sith inclinations.  It's nice to see a number of plot points being examined subtly in the series.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2010, 03:55 PM »
Sorry, my SW anthropology is not up to snuff. Is Sebulba a Dugg? Where do I know these things from...they looked familiar.

Pretty cool episode.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #236 on: April 15, 2010, 05:17 PM »
Yes, Sebulba is a Dug.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 15, 2010, 06:10 PM »
An especially dangerous Dug   :D
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 16, 2010, 08:03 AM »

That dialog makes me cringe.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 16, 2010, 10:23 AM »

That dialog makes me cringe.

Oh, that's 'crunching' talk!   :P

So tonight is the second Zilla episode and then next week (?) is the two part season finale, right?
I am not the Stig