Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread  (Read 68326 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 5, 2009, 12:57 AM »
I liked that the Turbo Tank was used as a "scouting mission" vehicle though.  It's intent in EU being something of a scouting platform vehicle to probe an enemy...  It's interesting that they caught that and used it.

I love Bane, don't know of many who are griping on him...  He's getting some character development with the "agressive" style of command he uses, and his sort of daring and ballsy nature.  He is cold, but likable I think, in a weird way.  He's got that feeling that, had we gotten the chance, we'd have seen Fett turn into something similar.

I'm very curious to see how these other bounty hunters play out.  Aurra Sing, they really have a gem on their hands with her if they use her right.  Bossk's been depicted (sort of) as something of a Jedi killer...

There's a lot to like I think in what we've seen so far.  I thought it made a nice long storyline that's arcing into more next week.  Yay Clone Wars.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 5, 2009, 12:49 PM »
I liked the episodes Friday.  I was a bit disappointed that the Jedi got taken for a wild goose chase through the temple, but maybe that, along with their inability to detect the presence of a non-Jedi, is evidence of their arrogance (no one would try to infiltrate the Jedi temple, so why be on guard for it...).  I'm liking that the CIS has their own heroes, but I'm not sure Cad Bane should be one of them.  He should have remained an independent contractor that Sidious or Dooku called in, he shouldn't have been in command of a CIS cruiser (or frigate or whatever).
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: October 5, 2009, 04:38 PM »
It seemed Yoda was the only one able to detect much.

That ties in with the whole, "our abilities in the force have diminished", and not letting everyone know or their enemies will multiply...  Perhaps that's the very reason Sidious even suggests the "mission" for Bane, knowing that they'll have trouble detecting him now that they're handicapped?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #33 on: October 5, 2009, 08:51 PM »
I thought it was a good episode, but I thought it was weird that they went from Bane stealing the Holocron and then all of a sudden he had the Jedi in captivity and he was already on the other side of the galaxy.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: October 5, 2009, 09:43 PM »
I think that's just the constraints of a half hour cartoon though, ultimately...  He escapes Coruscant, he's boogying after the Jedi that the Republic is also trying to contact (he's one of the ones in seclusion like Jerec, and others I guess?), so I can buy that... 

To me, I've always viewed the movies similarly.  Obi-Wan didn't jump to Utapau from Coruscant the same day, the Falcon took time to get from Tatooine to Alderaan, a period of time elapses between Hoth and Bespin in ESB, and so forth...  If that makes sense.

I don't think Star Wars as a fictional universe demonstrates the elapse of time well, ever.  :-\

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #35 on: October 5, 2009, 11:05 PM »
I see your point Jesse, but the fact that he captured a Jedi off camera kinda sucks.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: October 6, 2009, 01:55 AM »
Agreed, I would've liked seeing it fleshed out in the cartoon, however StarWars.com had one of their supplemental webcomics that goes with the CW season I think, that actually covered this.  It's a little late on my part to mention that, but it does cover Bane's capture of the Rodian.

How he finds him so easily though, seems a mystery.

An even bigger mystery is his capture of that first Jedi, a "Scrillian" or something?  The big grey Jedi that the shape-shifter uses.  Where'd they get that one?

The Jedi live up to the Spaceballs words of wisdom...  "Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb!"  :-\
« Last Edit: October 6, 2009, 01:56 AM by Jesse James »

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 6, 2009, 01:15 PM »
I was pleased with the episode overall.  Apart from the lengthy commercial breaks, it was fun to watch.  Lots of action and violence, as there should be in such a massive conflict.  The brutal nature of many scenes in the show (beating up Jocasta Nu, Cade Bane torturing the Rodian Jedi to death, etc.) are one thing I have liked about the CW series.  It is accurately depicting the negative events that happen in warfare.  The show is not softened for the little kids and has enough complexities that an older fan can really enjoy it.  In fact, I think it is easier for an older fan to understand everything that is going on in the show and fit it within the greater context of the SW universe.  Having worked with elementary school-age children as a mentor and tutor, I've found that while many really like the CW series, they are at a loss to explain why the clones and Jedi are fighting the seperatists and have no inkling of who their hero Anakin will eventually become :o 

I am very interested to see where Asoka's character is going to go during the series...  She is definitely developing in a manner that runs contrary to Jedi ethics; something more like Anakin's personality.  It will be interesting to see what exactly happens to her near the end of the series.  What concerns me more, however, is actually how long this series will continue and how the show will conclude.  It cannot go on indefinitely as there is only a finite amount of time between Episodes II and III and it would be great if the show ended as sort of a precursor to Episode III. 
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 7, 2009, 11:56 PM »
I just finished rewatching the old CW Series from 2003 that takes place after this story arc.  I did miss a few episodes here and there from the new series but why does Anakin recognize Ventress in the new series but not in the old ? Also, you never really see here die.  She falls off the temple but that is it.  Am I missing something or is she going to end up in the live action tv series?  Also strange that she is never mentioned or is Ashoka or Rex in Sith.  I probably just missed something.

Did anyone notice that Bane's species is quite similar to Admiral Thrawns?
« Last Edit: October 8, 2009, 12:07 AM by Jim »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: October 8, 2009, 12:19 AM »
Bane's a Duros, Thrawn's a Chiss...  So they're the same color, both red eyes, but Chiss are described as "near human" while Duros are nowhere near human and (according to lame EU) related to Neimoidians...  Which I pretty much ignore that last part.

On the Ventress and CW2D story arc, I didn't think that the Ventress storyline from that took place after this story...  In the CW2D story arc, Anakin is a Jedi Padawan yet, while in the CW3D he's a Jedi Knight, right?  I've taken the 2D series as jumping around a bit, but that storyline with his fight with Ventress and things on Yavin IV as all taking place a time before CW3D starts.

Both could easily jump around but Anakin's hair do's seem to imply CW2D takes place first I think.  I'd never seen any timelines on any of it though.  I was going off visual stuff to piece it together.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 8, 2009, 10:55 AM »
IMO, it's just crap writing. They painted themselves into a box on that one, creating an interesting villian and then killing her off because they figured the show would have a short run. Enter the $$$.

Once they got the green light for more episodes, they realized they had messed up and so they just went ahead and destroyed the continuity and integrity of the original animated series.

If it's a question of which comes first, there is no doubt the CW2D version happens AFTER the 3D version running now. Because the last episode is the kidnap of Palpatine from Coruscant which directly precedes ROTS.

After thinking about it, I think Jesse may be right that the 2D version skipped around a bit, timeline-wise.

Someone needs to tell these writers that eventually, somehow, someway, they are going to have to start killing off some of the bad guys, not just all the good guys. IT'S OK TO SHOW THE BAD GUYS LOSE ONCE IN AWHILE TOO!

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: October 8, 2009, 03:45 PM »
Unfortunately Assajj has an "ending" to herself in EU right now, I guess, but I think it'd be neat to see them off some people for sure.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 11:01 AM »
I liked Friday's episode a bit more story-wise, at least they got the Holocron back and saved the kids. Bane still manages to make the Jedi look like a bunch of bumbling idiots which really continues to irritate me. WTF? If the Republic doesn't have the sack to just kill the guy, go ahead and pay him an exorbitant sum of money NOT to work for the Separatists.

Well, at least they provided a cogent, convincing explanation for how Bane switched places with Denal. OH WAIT, NO THEY DIDN'T!  ::)

That was some really weak writing right there. There's suspension of disbelief, and then there's just stupidity.

BTW, did they unveil a whole new ship on the ep? I don't recall ever seeing that ship Ani & Obi used to dock on the Separatist vessel...it was mondo cool though. Looked almost like a cross between an A-Wing and B-Wing - rotating cockpit but with a flatter, more circular chassy. I want it! (Hasbro - you know what to do!)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2009, 01:55 PM »
I enjoyed Friday's episode as well.  I still enjoy the character of Cad Bane, but I hope they don't get to making him "too unstoppable".  It is fine for him to hold his own, but I wouldn't mind seeing him get his ass kicked by a Jedi every so often either.  We've been brought to understand that the Jedi are supposed to be so unstoppable and tremendous warriors (when warranted), so I hope we don't continue to see them get outsmarted and whipped on by bounty hunters/Grievous/etc.

That said, the episode itself was pretty good.  I guess it gives more significance to why we see that Denal figure on the pegs as well ;).  I'm surprised we haven't seen Bane's ship in the starfighter line yet, since it seems to just be a repaint of the MagnaGuard fighter (it was in the Titanium line too I believe?).  Anyways, I'm sure that is on the way, but I'm sometimes surprised at how behind Hasbro is on some of this stuff.  Maybe there isn't much they can do about it.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2009, 02:06 PM »
BTW, did they unveil a whole new ship on the ep? I don't recall ever seeing that ship Ani & Obi used to dock on the Separatist vessel...it was mondo cool though. Looked almost like a cross between an A-Wing and B-Wing - rotating cockpit but with a flatter, more circular chassy. I want it! (Hasbro - you know what to do!)

Yep, that Jedi T-6 Shuttle was a pretty cool ship, the Falcon-esque cockpit was a nice touch.  

Although I rather they made a hyperspace ring for the V-19 as those were pretty bad ass too.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:12 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird