Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread  (Read 68324 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Two Discussion Thread
« Reply #255 on: May 1, 2010, 08:31 AM »
Well, the first episode last night was great, I loved loved loved the look of the burning ship on the planet.  Its always great to see R2 doing stuff and his gadget work was fun.  I and my boys really loved the launching of the gundark with Anakin's ship.

The second episode was a little hit and miss.  I liked seeing Plo and Asohka go into the depths of Coruscant and I really liked the greyness of Hondo and Boba.  But the end of the episode blew chunks with Mace and Boba.  It was a really anti climactic end to two pretty good episodes and sort of soured the whole deal :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #256 on: May 1, 2010, 08:34 AM »
BTW...executing Ponds and then throwing him into space was pretty bad ass and brutal for a kids show.  RIP Ponds :'(

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 1, 2010, 01:02 PM »
I figured the first comment would be "Booo!!!   Bossk doesn't speak basic!".  I liked the episodes, not sure why Boba let his Dad's helmet get blown up, you'd think that would be kind of a sentimental item for him.
I am not the Stig

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 1, 2010, 04:50 PM »
R2 ROCKED!  He owned the first episode and I loved every minute of it.  Bossk spoke which kinda sucked, but he's still pretty badass in CW.  Nice to see Boba struggle between what's right and wrong as well as seeing how he reacted when his mommy left him with the Jedi.  I also think they pimped the Slave I pretty good so I hope that's still in the cards.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 3, 2010, 11:50 AM »
I really enjoyed the season finale as well.  Like others, I thought the first episode was stronger - and R2 was awesome.  Much like the series premiere with Yoda, it really reminded me of OT R2 with his actions/sounds/etc.  I was a bit surprised by Bossk speaking as well, but I guess it didn't bother me that much.  Plus, we don't have much (non EU stuff anyways) to go on saying that he didn't, aside from one "growl" in ESB.  I do like that he is a part of CW though, and thought he came off pretty cool with even as little as he did.  I also think a character like Aurra Sing has been made infinitely cooler by CW, and I hope her ambiguous "end" leaves it open for her return (as well as the Slave I).

As for the entire season, what did everyone think of Season 2?  I thought it was a pretty strong season, and maybe more consistent than Season 1 (which I enjoyed as well).  I was a little surprised we actually didn't see more of the "bounty hunters" after seeing all those "Rise of the Bounty Hunters" teasers through last summer/fall.  That being said, we did see some cool ones and some other nifty stuff throughout the season.  I was thinking back over the season, and it really is impressive how they are able to create a lot of interesting conflicts, etc. without using the big bads much.  I mean, think about how much we even saw Dooku, Ventress, Grievous or even Cad Bane this year....not all that much.  Anyways, I really enjoyed the season, and I'm already anticipating Season 3.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 3, 2010, 12:46 PM »
I finally got caught up on Season 2 over the weekend.  My DVR has been picking these up but real life seem to get in the way of watching them.  I thought the 3-part finale was really good.  I enjoyed the nods back to the OT and liked seeing more about the young Boba Fett.

One thing that surprised me was the apparent explosion of Slave 1.  I was always under the impression that Boba was using the same starfighter than Jango had?  Was Boba's Slave 1 different?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 3, 2010, 02:33 PM »
I miss it already.

Where to start? This show really loves its Gundars. (sp?) This is like their 2nd or 3rd appearance I think. SURE WOULD BE A SHAME IF SOME SAVVY TOY COMPANY DIDN'T GET THESE AWESOME CREATURES INTO THE ANIMATED LINE SOMEHOW. (Hint, Hint, Hint)

Most of the last arc was pretty excellent, only a couple of "off-notes" worthy of mentioning.

1) I was VERRRRRY disappointed to hear Bossk speak English. I thought that came off way too contrived. Has it ever occured to the writers that maybe not all alien species should be able to master that dialect? It really took away from his badass mystique IMO.

2) I like to joke that there is no sex in the SW universe, but it's actually even creepier when they do allude to it. I don't know why exactly, but I found it very unsettling about Aurra and Hondo being a "couple". Just eww. That's like a giraffe getting it on with an orangutan.

3) Wow, Mace is just an a-hole. I expected to him to have a little more empathy towards Boba at the end, or at least convey some sort of conciliatory message. "Sorry about killing your dad, but I hope in time you can forgive me" or something to that effect. He just comes across as an aloof, detached jerk though.

4) So what's up with Aurra and the Slave 1? IS she dead and the ship trashed as we are led to believe? Guessing not, since they failed to show the "money shot" but hard to imagine anyone walking away from that. You'd like to think the Jedi would be smart enough to sift through the wreckage but probably not.

Strong season overall. Can't wait to watch it all again in Blu-Ray. (I love how the shows says at the beginning "Available in Hi-Def" when Cartoon Network doesn't even have an HD channel here)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 3, 2010, 02:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure this was talked about a while ago for a different character, but I think you have to remember this show is on the Cartoon Network and little kids want/need the characters to speak english. Just pretend he spoke Trandoshan and it was translated for the "Live Documentary" you were watching.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 3, 2010, 02:54 PM »
Strong season overall. Can't wait to watch it all again in Blu-Ray. (I love how the shows says at the beginning "Available in Hi-Def" when Cartoon Network doesn't even have an HD channel here)

I'll go one better - Comcast advertises the Cartoon Network as one of their HD channels but where I live in NJ, we only get it in low-def.

Has there been a date announcing the Season 2 Blu-Ray set?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #264 on: May 3, 2010, 02:54 PM »
My guess will be right before Season 3 starts to they can pimp the heck out of it.  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #265 on: May 3, 2010, 08:49 PM »
I've not read the updates as I've yet to see the finale (DVR f'd up, and so I have to watch it at home in regular definition on my DVR here), but I wanted to mention about Bossk speaking "basic".  My take on that is something I've thought of about a number of aliens we've seen...  I think they're maybe not all speaking basic and it's just the cartoon's dumbing down things for the kids.  Removing subtitles, which can be difficult to keep up with in a regular film, so I'm sure a small child could find them difficult in a cartoon series, is probably a good idea...  You could have the grunts be "deciphered" by the context of the replies from the other characters, but I think I'm looking at it as basically Bossk is speaking his growls and gurgles, but the cartoon's just giving him the "basic" for the sake of the audience. 

To me, he'll always be a guy who gurgles and sounds lizardy, and doesn't stoop to speaking the language of others.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 3, 2010, 11:06 PM »
I watched the last two episodes again last night and I have to say I was a lot less bothered by Bossk speaking basic than I was by how the end of the hour just fizzled out.

It started strong with the R2 episode, but the episode with Ahsoka and Plo Koon was pretty bad.

There were a couple of things I didn't like about the hour:

1) Lucas made a point of Jango's helmet getting dented in Attack of the Clones when Jango is run over by the Reek, the dent is in the exact spot where Boba's helmet had a dent, so the assumption could be made that Boba was wearing his father's helmet only with a new color/paint scheme

2) The Slave I ship in AOTC was different in coloring than ESB but it was still supposed to be the same ship. Now, we're left in a position where we're not so sure. Clearly the ship isn't a one-of-a-kind, but I bet the upgrades that Jango added to it are. There is only one reasonable path that can be followed with regards to the Slave I crash - the ship crashed and there was a huge explosion and no body of Aurra Sing was found, leaving the door open for her to return one day, but clearly indicating that the Slave I in ESB is a different ship, modified by Boba, not Jango.

So in one hour of the cartoon, they were successful in destroying any and all connections between Jango in AOTC and Boba in ESB.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #267 on: May 4, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Pretty much in agreement.  Great hour, big let down of an ending.

Slave I - I thought it was a curious choice to damage/destroy it.  Obviously they'll revisit it/Boba, but to even suggest that this ship is not the ESB ship or that Boba's helmet is not his father's helmet destroys the purpose of AOTC as far as the Fetts go.

Mace is a jerk and arresting Boba?  I don't know.  Clearly we'll see him again, and there will be some big arc around busting him and Bossk out of prison (Cad Bane, I'm sure) but it would have been nice to see the bad guys win one.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #268 on: May 5, 2010, 01:01 AM »
I watched these this afternoon after I got home, and I felt they were a mix...

I like the concept of Boba not being a jerk naturally, but I think they are pushing that a little too far now as well...  I can see him not offing the Clones and Killian because Killian showed a little kindness, but part of me also thinks he maybe would resent the Clones and should've been a little more sympathetic to Killian and not the Troopers I guess. 

I also liked the whole first episode, I thought it was unique...  I easily got past Bossk speaking and just assume that he is grunting and it's just him speaking English to be simplistic.  I can accept that better than him speaking English really since I always felt he couldn't in ESB. 

I felt the ending was like a lot of you have said...  Kind of abrupt, and I didn't really see a need for Mace to capture him and act like a prick on top of it, and then for him to be captured at all...  Why bother with that?  Have him maybe cause some serious damage and escape.  Voila, he wins...  sort of.  Mace was a real dick at the end too, which to me flew in the face of a true Jedi as well...  I mean, you did decapitate his father.  You could at least try to reason with the child on some level.

I loved Hondo's part, and that he's not a bad guy really, and that Sing's bad news for anyone who gets involved with her.

I cannot stand the thought that they're destroying Slave-I...  on Jango's helmet, I think it is possible Jango had a number of helmets, like Jetpacks and possibly armor and other things.  I can look past the helmet.  Ships though...  Slave-I isn't the only Firespray ship, but his is/was the only original designed one IIRC, which was sturdier, faster, more firepower, and that later models needed heavy upgrading to be anywhere near what Slave-I was.  If they destroyed it, that really does poop all over the backstory for Jango/Boba a bit.  I'm hoping maybe Hondo salvages it for Boba.  I could see them having some future interactions, and Hondo nurturing Boba's sense of honor he got from his father.

I thought the last episode started out ok, but fizzled a bit once they got to Hondo's place.  I liked the Underworld bits of Coruscant though, and whatnot. 

I'm ready for next season to get here...  Gonna be a long Summer without new episodes.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 27, 2010, 02:13 PM »
Season 2 on DVD and Blu Ray, October 26th - Star Wars.com has the details.