Author Topic: PSWCS fundraiser to benefit wounded war vets  (Read 4543 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
PSWCS fundraiser to benefit wounded war vets
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:25 PM »
Hey guys - this was posted on the JD front page a while back, but I know a lot of guys don't go there too often, so I wanted to post something about it here.

PSWCS is selling these "challenge coin" style medallions to benefit a charity called Operation Ward 57.  OW57 buys comfort items for wounded soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan who end up at Walter Reed.  We hope to raise around $5500 for the charity by selling out.  100% of the proceeds go to the charity.  They're $10 each shipped.

The medallion is limited to a 1-time run of 1000.  We got Lucasfilm's permission to produce the medallions, so it's an authorized Star Wars collectible.  It even has the little copyright date on it.  And they're AWESOME.  First off, they're HUGE!  They're like old-style silver dollar big.  1.75" diameter is way bigger than it sounds.  They're also very hefty, and they're protected by an enamel coating.  Super high-quality stuff.  The artwork was done by Mike Nair, a graphic artist in PSWCS who did just a phenomenal job.  We're all thrilled with the final product.  And we've gotten nothing but positive reactions from our buyers.

If we sell out, we're looking at doing another one next year.  But we still have about 300 remaining.  So I'm hoping some of my friends here will help out.  You won't be disappointed, and it's for a great cause!

Here's the sale site:  http://www.pswcs.com/OperationWard57 
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: PSWCS fundraiser to benefit wounded war vets
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 04:22 PM »
Yeah these were great to work on. I was part of the development committee for these. Mike's design was excellent.

It's a neat collectible and would look great next to your Obi-wan (clone armor) figure and/or mini bust. That's how I'm going to display mine.

The cause is even better though. Those military men and women who gave all but their lives are so deserving of this. Operation Ward 57 helps make their time in the hospital at least a little better. All of the proceeds are going to the charity too. So the collecting club isn't looking to make anything from this. We're doing it for charity and to a much lesser degree the love of collecting.

It's a really solid medallion and a unique item to have in anyone's collection.

We hope you'll help us help the military persons of Ward 57.

At only $10, it's a great price and totally worth it, especially considering who it's helping.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:59 PM »
I bought one, figured its for charity. Its a cool coin.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:48 AM »
Oh, did I mention how heavy each on is too? You'd be surprised.

Also, it has a VERY nice gloss finish on BOTH sides of the medallion.

I can't stress enough how well this medallion turned out.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 03:55 PM »
I'm down for helping my fellow brothers in arms.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:36 AM »
Hey Bill, what's the status on these?

I sent a payment in this summer and haven't heard anything on the coin since you posted this.  Got an update?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 11:44 AM »
You didn't receive yours?  How did you pay?  E-mail me at cable@creaturecantina.com and I'll get to the bottom of it.  I had one other lost in the mail that I know of, and a few people who say they paid by PayPal but the transactions never processed and I never received them money.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 3, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Bump this up.

Bill, are you guys going to do another one of these for this year?

Embrace the suck.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #8 on: May 3, 2010, 03:21 PM »
We submitted a proposal to Lucasfilm.  If they approve it, there will be one.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: PSWCS fundraiser to benefit Canine Corps
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 09:10 AM »
We finally got an announcement for our 2010 medallion: Chewbacca.

Members of the PSWCS were able to pick up their medallions at this year's Summer Social.  The remainder of the 1,000 coins will be for sale at the PSWCS booth during Celebration V for $10 each.

As with last year's Obi-Wan medallion, the 2010 Chewbacca medallion has a 1.75" diameter and is fully colored.  The back of the medallion features the PSWCS logo and both sides have epoxy coating for durability.  Each medallion is fully approved by Lucasfilm Ltd. and will come with a certificate of authenticity.

This year's medallion will raise money to benefit Canine Corps.

About Canine Corps

The primary mission of Canine Corps is to provide a no-charge “home away from home”, including free veterinary care provided by the Animal Hospital of Rye, for the pet dogs of Pennsylvania (any branch, any permanent duty station, home of record: Pennsylvania) military personnel who have orders for Horn of Africa, Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation Enduring Freedom.  These are pets whose owners have no alternative for their dog’s foster care and safekeeping and would have to surrender to a shelter or rescue.

Canine Corps was formally established on May 23rd, 2007 through incorporation in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.  Canine Corps is a 501(c)(3) public charity registered with the IRS.  100% of donations go towards the ongoing costs of the sanctuary to support the lives and welfare of the dogs.

Pennsylvania Star Wars Collecting Society

The PSWCS was founded in 2000 as a free club for residents of Pennsylvania and the surrounding states who enjoy the Star Wars films and collecting hobby that surrounds them.  This is the second medallion produced by the PSWCS.  Sales of the 2009 coin, featuring Obi-Wan Kenobi, raised over $6,200 for Operation Ward 57.
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 10:54 PM »
Wish I was going to CV to get this, like the Obi Wan from last year.  Hope you raise alot for this charity since it is for a good cause. 

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 09:19 AM »
Hey Bill, can we buy these through you like last year if we aren't going to CV?

Embrace the suck.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Bill may jump in on this, but this year we didn't offer sales online as the plan is to sell them at our booth at CV.  We're expecting to sell out over the weekend but if by some fluke we don't, we'd have to offer online sales afterwards.

Currently, the coins are with one of our members who will be transporting them to CV.  So, unless Bill held a couple back, he may not have any to sell anyway.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 03:03 PM »
You are correct on all points, Eric.

Offline Jeff