Author Topic: JediDefender 2009 Hasbro Star Wars Fans' Choice  (Read 38329 times)

Offline Bespin_refugee

• Youngling
  • "Intensify forward firepower! TOO LATE!! AAAAAHHH
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender 2009 Hasbro Star Wars Fans' Choice
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2009, 02:25 AM »
Dack Ralter

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2009 Hasbro Star Wars Fans' Choice
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2009, 02:41 PM »
I have not seen the official rules...so I am waiting for Jeff to answer that since he has them. 

"nominate the top 30 most-wanted Star Wars figures from across the films and Expanded Universe"

There is nothing in there about 'except for those that we say we can't ever make'.  Like others have said, if it's going to truly be a measure of what our "top-requested" figures are, then why not put them on the list so Hasbro can see (yet again) that we want them?

I'm sure it will annoy some folks to see "wasted" votes in their eyes, but you could argue that about any number of figures on our top-30 list that Hasbro has already mentioned they have 'planned" for 'the next few years'. 

whose vote is this supposed to be for, the real JD community or random people who will never return to the site again after that one post?

the random posters make this feel a bit fraudulent and not very collective of the site want

Which is why only 1 of the top-30 slots is open for polling at this point.  The top-29 on our list represent exacly what the 'regular' JD members would like to see (or at least the members who care enough to vote in the wishlist poll every year  :P).

At the same time, like Scott said we're not idiots and it's pretty easy with IP traces to figure out which votes are real and which votes are "friends".   ::)  Needless to say that the votes are being counted correctly.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Point taken, that makes sense. As much sense as making Ackmena.

Wouldn't it be great to if we can have the prominent Star Wars Golden Girls in one Battlepack: Ackmena, Jocata Nu, Old Beru (resculpt) & a beaten down Shmi from AOTC. Kids would go crazy for this. ::)
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2009, 05:51 PM »
The "Thank you for being a friend" pack?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2009, 06:18 PM »
The "Thank you for being a friend" pack?

:D

Offline tchucktay

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2009, 11:43 PM »
Hi,

I know that, having just registered, I am "new" here... but do you mind if I ask what is wrong with telling other friends to come over and vote for a figure you already know you both want?

You guys make it sound like something sinister or prankful or something...

I read your qna answers from time to time, but frankly have never registered before because there has never been a real reason to do so. Now that I'm a member, I will occassionally post my opinions and news. But, back to the point, is there a problem with the fact that a fellow Rebelscum member emailed me and told me about your 1-figure only poll?

In all honesty, this attitude makes me feel like... "why would I even want to join here? New members are obviously not welcome." Now you guys were here first - - I get that. But if you want new folks to come on board and make this site as big as Scum and other sites, why do you want to dissuade people from joining in? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway... I just thought I'd mention this after reading all that before I got to the point.

I would like to place 1 vote for: (you apparently guessed it) ....    Jocasta Nu

I had assumed based on your having an open vote, that you will count it, but I guess you guys are planning on editing the vote to your own opinions.

Why are you even having the voting open at all?  ::)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2009, 12:14 AM »
I think the point is that there are several members that participate in all kinds of forums here on Jedi Defender and are voting in good faith. Yes, it is an open poll as you can see from the various choices offered. Now, we get newbies from Scum that are only here to vote for Jocasta Nu en masse, post once or twice and that is all they contribute to this site. Therefore it skews the results. Let's reverse the situation: how would you like tons of rookies joining Rebel Scum and voting for one particular character and making it obvious? Wouldn't that make you, as a regular, a little upset that your voice is being lost? Now, I'm all fine with you joining and participating in our forums! Welcome! But, look at it from our point of view instead of whining that we're being selective.

Offline palps45895

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2009, 01:17 AM »
I was just checking out the posts and noticed this conversation and thought I'd chime in again...

I'm new here. But I've started posting and contributing a bit (or detracting, as one may feel...  :D). What makes you think all of the new guys aren't going to contribute in the future? I've already started, for better or worse  ;D.

And, as was previously pointed out in this thread, if you're not going to count the new members votes (whatever they are for) in an honest, fair manner, why are you posting the offer to join and vote on your front page? That seems pretty ridiculous that you would advertise for people to join and vote and then say their vote doesn't count...

I sincerely doubt that Hasbro had that kind of attitude in mind with all of this. And I wonder if you're new site ownership goes along with this idea to ostrasize the new members and their votes, just because you don't like them...?  :(

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2009, 01:37 AM »
I have to side with the newbies here. Why can't their votes be treated like everyone else's? Don't you guys want to encourage participation? ???

I'm just really bothered by their flat out EXCLUSION from this poll. Doesn't Jedi Defender pride itself on being above stuff like this?
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2009, 01:45 AM »
I don't think anyone is aiming to discourage new members from signing up and sticking around and contributing and enjoying themselves.  At the same time, we'd rather that JD's top-30 reflect the wishes of the membership here, and not the membership of other sites.  So there's a balance that needs to be struck.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 02:19 AM by Rob »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2009, 03:09 AM »
I'm just really bothered by their flat out EXCLUSION from this poll. Doesn't Jedi Defender pride itself on being above stuff like this?

Come on now, I'm sure we all know that the JD staff would never exclude new members from voting, I think Jeff made that clear.  What he has said is that people who are trying to unfairly influence a vote by registering multiple times will be excluded, as can be determined by IP addresses.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2009, 10:40 AM »
Just my $0.02, but if below your screenname, its says "1", I'm not sure you really have enough experience on JediDefender to complain you are being wronged.

That being said, if people take a poll as their opportunity to join, that's great, but part of joining is contributing beyond that vote.
I am not the Stig

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2009, 11:11 AM »
I have to side with the newbies here. Why can't their votes be treated like everyone else's? Don't you guys want to encourage participation?

If they were all actual new members who are finally stepping out of lurker mode and have decided to register and vote, that's fine.  We welcome them and their votes.

However, we've got some IP data that suggests a number of these "new members" are all coming from the same ISP Host.  So, either one Internet Service Provider suddenly has had a rash of it's users decide to register at JD and vote for Jocasta Nu or (more likely) something fishy is going on.

No one's vote is arbitrarily being cast aside simply because they are a new member... but a number of votes are being cast aside because they are coming from fraudulent sock accounts.

In summary - actual, real new member votes = ok, 1-2 people attempting to cast multiple votes via a bunch of sock accounts = bad.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:12 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2009, 12:35 PM »
I don't think anyone is aiming to discourage new members from signing up and sticking around and contributing and enjoying themselves.  At the same time, we'd rather that JD's top-30 reflect the wishes of the membership here, and not the membership of other sites.  So there's a balance that needs to be struck.

Well said.
As the other guy who agreed with Carp on the newbie vote thing I think Rob summed it up the best. A balance is needed, I also like what Kenobi said but no one is discouraging new members from joining, just do not abuse the system, contribute to it! If the contribution is complaining about valid concerns from long standing members and somewhat dissing our staff that says a lot to me. Didn't we move on after Jeff explained that the staff is keeping an eye on the IP stuff? I know I acknowledged his explanation and to me put it to rest. As Jeff mentioned there has been some shady activity validating some of our concerns......

BTW - If I have not mentioned it already: ACKMENA

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2009, 12:39 PM »
Understood. Thanks for the explanation, Jeff, and I apologize for the confusion. :-\

I do think that there are some people signing up here and going through the same process as everyone else to make their voices heard, and they shouldn't be treated like they're somehow tainting the results. When an open vote is advertised to your readers, new people signing up to participate is to be expected.

Again, it's not my intention to make a big stink, just trying to make everyone feel welcome. Have fun, and **cough**ACKMENA**cough**. :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!