Author Topic: Have You "Made the Switch" to BluRay?  (Read 16936 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Have You "Made the Switch" to BluRay?
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2010, 02:12 PM »
I haven't made the switch to Blu-Ray yet but when/if I do I have always strongly considered the PS3 - there are too many pros and little (no?) cons imo.  It plays games in HD, supports Netflix (which is huge now as I am sure you all know), has always had wifi (which xbox is just now coming around to), internet browser, etc. 

I already have an Xbox 360 so I probably wouldn't buy too many games on it - but there are a select few that are exclusive for PS that it wouldn't hurt to have it for (Gran Turismo anyone?).

Pretty much the only reason I haven't gone to BR yet is the cost issue of a couple of things -
1. do I really need to buy a new unit?  the answer is no - I already have enough hobby/entertainment items
2. cost of bluray burners are high
3. cost of blank bluray media is/was high - this looks like it has been coming down recently
4. Finally, I am pretty satisfied with what I have going on now with my upscaling dvd player and plasma TV - I don't feel like I need better quality.

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2010, 08:50 PM »
From what I understand when it comes to Film transfers, the best Blu-Ray you can get are recent films.
Componies are not not transferring every classic with top notch quality.
The transfers on some of these are either not up to snuff or the media brings out flaws in a film that was not shot for Hi Def.

I would like Blu ray for recent films, but there are allot of older ones that I've seen on Blu-Ray that I would never re buy because I have what i think is the best version on DVD and the Blu Ray offers little more if that.
Films like Dawn of the Dead are a good example, no need for that on Blu-Ray IMO.
But I'd love to see Dark Knight and a host of other recent one on Blu Ray at home.
Not into the whole surround thing anymore, just stereo with two big speakers is good enough.(unless someone can tell me about cheap wireless speakers) I'll save the ultimate sound for my theatre experience.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2010, 11:19 PM »
I think it depends on the movie.  I bought Close Encounters on Blu-ray, and it's gorgeous.  Better than any previous presentation.  But you need to be able to tolerate film grain to appreciate it.  Anything shot on film (even the recent Pirates of the Caribbean movies) will have grain.  On DVD you can't see it at all.  On Blu-ray it's obvious.  It's how the director intended it to look, but some viewers who are used to TV can't stand it.  There are studios who are doing brilliant, faithful high-def transfers of catalog titles.  And they look better than the films have looked anywhere since their original releases in theaters.

I'd recommend scanning the reviews on http://www.blu-ray.com.  They're very picky about image quality.  If you're worried if a catalog title is worth picking up, that's your place to check.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2010, 07:13 AM »
A little while ago I rented Zombieland on BR and Ninja Assassin on DVD. I first watched Ninja Assassin on my HD TV and then Zombieland. Mindblowing difference between the two. Blu-Ray's the way for me. I recently bought BBC's Life series on BR (will buy Earth as well) and that is some pretty amazing stuff. Beautiful scenes, especially the ultra slow motion shots.

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2010, 10:08 AM »
I think it depends on the movie.  I bought Close Encounters on Blu-ray, and it's gorgeous.  Better than any previous presentation.  But you need to be able to tolerate film grain to appreciate it.  Anything shot on film (even the recent Pirates of the Caribbean movies) will have grain.  On DVD you can't see it at all.  On Blu-ray it's obvious.  It's how the director intended it to look, but some viewers who are used to TV can't stand it.  There are studios who are doing brilliant, faithful high-def transfers of catalog titles.  And they look better than the films have looked anywhere since their original releases in theaters.

I'd recommend scanning the reviews on http://www.blu-ray.com.  They're very picky about image quality.  If you're worried if a catalog title is worth picking up, that's your place to check.

Thanks for the info.  This was very informative.  Its good to see that they are doing good transfers.  I doubt the grain would bother me(I like seeing them as intended) so this post just moved me more toward Blu-Ray...

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2010, 11:17 AM »
No vested interests there...   ;)

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2010, 11:42 AM »
I agree...this isn't a simple VHS vs. Betamax or the evolution from Record to cassette to CD.  While MP3's have been quite popular, if I want to purchase an actual album, I rather have something physical rather than just digital.  MP3's are great if you just want a couple songs from an album.

Dial up internet hasn't completely disappeared at this point, so I don't see BluRay going away in favor of direct downloads.  With all the talk of possibly taxing the internet or restricting usage based on amount downloaded, streaming video could die off first.  A lot of "high speed" internet doesn't even run that fast for downloading a movie.  I would much prefer using an On-Demand service than streaming video.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2010, 11:48 AM »
Netflix streaming quality is ASS even on their HD titles.  If there's something that's not offered on Blu-ray, or where I don't care about the quality of the image because I have time to kill, I occasionally use it.  But really, if I actually care about the movie I'll hold out for a physical copy on Blu-ray.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 5, 2010, 02:38 PM »
I was hoping for something between $150 and $200.  I know the PS3 is a good deal, but I really don't need or want the system.

Never did find out if you picked one up or not.  I finally grabbed a player, a Panasonic DMP BD-65 for $150 but I think you can find them Stateside for down around $100.  Basically the price drop means it's already obsolete in Panasonic's mind but I wasn't worried about it as it's just meant to be an upgraded basic player for the family room.  It has really good reviews in most places including AVS forum so I jumped in.  The BD-85 has the wireless built in and rumors are that it is running around $150 in the U.S.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 6, 2010, 12:45 AM »
Yeah, I went with the PS3.  I decided that for the extra $100 I'd get the game system this time.  People seem to say it's a nice player and with all the investment in the movie collection, it seemed like a good chance to pick up something nicer than a low-end model, while also getting the benefit of the gaming stuff.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 6, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Yup, lots of people happy with the PS3.  I'm just not sure what actually qualifies as a "low end" Bluray player these days given how rapidly the price of a $300 model becomes a $150 model.  And I'm basically boycotting Sony these days anyway, so that wasn't an option. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 6, 2010, 01:19 PM »
The nice thing about the PS3 is the firmware can be updated to allow it to play 3D Blurays, should you want to do that in the future.  (I'm not personally interested in a 3D TV, but at least I know I don't have to buy a new player if I change my mind later)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 6, 2010, 01:27 PM »
Ya I couldn't even log onto the PS Network a week or so back without that 3D upgrade.  I have 0 interest, but like you said Jesse - nice to have.....just in case.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2010, 04:32 PM »
This is kind of random, but for those of you who have made the switch to Blu-Ray, would you mind answering a few questions for me?

- Approximately when you bought your first BR player
- Why you switched to BR
- Do you own a PS3 or an actual BR player?
- Do you buy movies online or at retail, and why?
- Are you married/have kids?

Basically I'm trying to find out what demographic is buying Blu-Rays for a research project. All I've found is that college students still buy DVDs, and since BR had a $330 million profit in 2009, SOMEONE has to be buying it. BTW if you choose to answer, I'll be putting the responses in a paper for class, so just wanted to give a heads up.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks