Author Topic: Have You "Made the Switch" to BluRay?  (Read 16934 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Have You "Made the Switch" to BluRay?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 01:48 PM »
Blah..I guess $10ish is a "good deal" for these BF dealeos, but I own most of them on DVD so I'm not too jazzed about them.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 01:51 PM »
I bought a PS3 in september 2008, so have had blu-ray since then. I still have a regular 100Hz. Panasonic 28" TV, but bought John Mayer's blu ray and got 300 and Watchmen as a gift. I can't wait to see those in full HD one day and I've been whining to my g/f about a HD TV for quite some time now  ;)

And indeed, blu ray's taking over the shelves fast! But I think you have to look closely at the blu-ray disc's specs. If it's just a minor dvd concersion, I'll pass. But things like BBC's Earth boxset on blu-ray? Gonna buy it for sure. And SW of course, no matter how bad George will mess it up this time  :P

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 12:01 AM »
Amazon is running some killer sales.

Spaceballs $8.99
Live Free of Die Hard $8.99
Raging Bull $8.99
The Passion of the Christ $8.99
Harry Potter pre-order $15.99

It goes beyond that...Amazon is doing a lot of sales over the last week or three. I don't know if they're all still like this but in the last few weeks I've ordered:

Seventh Seal (Criterion) - $17.99
Kagemusha (Criterion) - $17.99
Wages of Fear (Criterion) - $15.99
The Third Man (Criterion) - $19.99
Passion of the Christ - $8.99
Raging Bull - $8.99
Land of the Lost - $14.99
Drag me to Hell - $14.99
Revenge - $7.99
The Getaway - $9.99
Big Trouble in Little China - $12.99
Dogma - $7.99
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - $11.49
Last Chance Harvey - $9.99
Blazing Saddles - $8.99
Donnie Darko - $10.49
Wedding Crashers - $9.99
Sunshine Cleaning - $9.99

Then there was the deal where you got like $50 off your order if you bought 6 from a list.  That led to...
Army of Darknes
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Van Helsing (sucks I know, but if I added these last three movies the total only went up like $7.00)
King Kong
(and ordered a second King Kong)

All for about $40.00

And there are a bunch of pre-orders where Amazon has the best price too... I put in for:

District 9:  $18.99
Inglorious Basterds:  $18.99
Leon the Professional:  $13.99
Public Enemies:  $19.99
Terminator Salvation:  $15.99
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince:  $15.99

I spent too much this month, but the prices have been phenomenal.  They seem to have new price drops just about every day.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 12:07 AM by Rob »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 08:19 AM »
Is that $50-off deal still valid?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 10:17 AM »
It's over.  The thread for it was here:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=121074

The other hitch was that the first day, the prices were insanely low to begin with... most of the movies were like $15 or $16 and then you also got like $50 off when you ordered any 6.  So I was just going to order Hot Fuzz, Army of Darkness, and Shaun of the Dead (you got like $20 off when you did 3).  Van Helsing and King Kong were only $12.49 to begin with, and then you got another $30 off if you bought 6 total.   So, it was only another $7.50 total to order 6 instead of 3.

The point of all that rambling, was that the prices all got jacked up on the second day, so it was a good deal but it stopped being a great one very soon after it went live.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 01:49 PM »
I'm looking to buy a second player for the bedroom...  I'm looking for something that's not glitchy, has strong picture quality and loads reasonably quickly - without spending a fortune.

I don't care about wi-fi or BD-Live...

Any recommendations?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 03:01 PM »
Define "a fortune."  PS3 is still one of the best out there, and one of the fastest to load.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 04:16 PM »
I recently purchased off ebay one of the PS3's that is backwards compatible so I could play some of my fave PS2 games and still get the newer PS3 titles (as PS2 is no longer being made for new titles)

Watched Iron Man on blu-ray as my first blu-ray viewing and have to admit the sound quality is excellent when paired with my stereo.

Hurt Locker also was very enjoyable to see on it.

Still have the high end pioneer dvd player there to watch dvd and burnt discs and USB based files so have best of both worlds.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 05:51 PM »
I havn't made the switch to bluRay yet. I don't know if I ever will. The way I see it technology is moving towards on demand streaming and digital copies. I see, just like CDs, that DVDs and BluRay are going to be a thing of the past in a couple of years.

Right now I'm ripping all of my DVDs to VOBs and storing them on my home server. Then I can use my 360 to stream them to the TV. Maybe someday I'll buy a BluRay reader for my computer to do rips.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 06:50 PM »
Define "a fortune."  PS3 is still one of the best out there, and one of the fastest to load.

I was hoping for something between $150 and $200.  I know the PS3 is a good deal, but I really don't need or want the system.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 09:33 PM »
My roommate got a PS3 so I'm slowly picking up Blu-rays for it. So far I've just grabbed a few that are cheap (my rule of thumb is $10 or less), or super cool like the Watchmen Complete Cut boxset. But it'll be a while before I'm at the point of rebuying stuff I have on DVD.

I agree that digital copies and Video On Demand are the wave of the future, but I think people will always want hard copies of favorite movies for their collection. E.g., I listen to Pandora and have a lot of random crap in my iTunes music library, but I still buy physical CDs for certain favorite bands or when I find a bargain.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:35 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 10:52 PM »
I agree that digital copies and Video On Demand are the wave of the future...

Eventually sure, but it's not as close as people think.  Streaming netflix is great, if you don't give a crap about picture quality. 

Getting a full 1080p stream to a player through the internet is still a ways off.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Did you ever buy one Rob?  Our trusy old DVD player (circa 1999) is getting finicky so it's time for a new player and it may as well be BluRay.  I was hoping to get a Pioneer as I've had tremendous success with them over the years but it seems newer models are just rebadged models from others and maybe not so good, aside from start up speed. 

Looking for suggestions that don't include PS3. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 03:37 PM »

Buy a Sony then.   ;)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Did you ever buy one Rob?  Our trusy old DVD player (circa 1999) is getting finicky so it's time for a new player and it may as well be BluRay.  I was hoping to get a Pioneer as I've had tremendous success with them over the years but it seems newer models are just rebadged models from others and maybe not so good, aside from start up speed. 

I purchased a Pioneer Elite back around last Christmas.  I would say there is somewhere in the neighborhood of a 15 to 30 second load time, but I've never clocked it.  I'm not sure how that would compare to other units.  The picture and sound are great and I've had no complaints with it except somehow you can turn off the continue feature (from where you stopped a disc).  Not sure how I've done that on some discs, so it is a bit of a pain.  I have to pull up the manual to see what I need to do to fix it.