Author Topic: Toyfare 2009 Fan's Choice Voting  (Read 69158 times)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: Toyfare 2009 Fan's Choice Voting
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 06:03 PM »
So, is this a one vote per person thing, or is it American Idol style? Because I was just (apparently) able to get in two separate votes (I did the Bib for you, Rob). I didn't put in an email either time. Anyone know?

I'm curious about this as well....anyone? ???

Ackmena needs as many votes as possible!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 06:11 PM »
Ackmena needs as many votes as possible!

Yes she does. If you really look at the list Hasbro has confirmed are large chunk of them are on the slate for 2011 so Ackmena is a real underdog.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 07:13 PM »
That is all fine and dandy but it never really says anywhere how this vote is going to be compiled.  Some sites have lower turnouts than others, should there be weighting amoung the sites?  Should the ToyFare portion get more attention since they are the runners of the poll?

What I don't get is the lack of publicity for the ToyFare vote.  That to me is just as important as anything else.

I don't think it is American Idol style and it is more one vote per IP...but again...it doesn't say that anywhere. (Duros v. Amanaman anyone?)

Offline Banthaholic

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 02:35 PM »
Voted for Ackmena
Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: October 2, 2009, 03:46 PM »
A little preview info on the upcoming ToyFare poll thanks to the Q&A at Han's Hideout:

1. What was your gut reaction to seeing the raw Fans' Choice Poll data/results from the various websites? Were the choices more or less varied than you were expecting? Any trends that you saw that surprised you or any characters that popped up that were completely off your radar until this initial batch of results came in?

** One surprise was how even the results were - drawing from all six films and the EU. Of the films, though, each of the films has at least 3 votes, except for, surprisingly, EpV which had only one character (Toryn Farr) in the top 30. Given that, EpV is generally acknowledged as the fan favorite, it either points to how thoroughly we have covered the film (unlikely since there are many great character re-dos to go), or that fans want to see as-yet-unmade characters generally over re-sculpts (more likely, as there are only five resculpts on the entire list, and the first one, Dr. Evazon, appears at #10). Of all the selections, the strength of Jocasta Nu surprised us. We do not think she would be a strong or compelling figure ourselves, but if she did win we would draft her into the lineup. Some of the strength of fans' desire for her could be precisely because we have expressed that we would not consider doing her ourselves, so if she does win it's a victory for the fans who wanted her!

Yay for Toryn Farr and a Evazon resculpt making the list. :) 
Boo to the Jocasta Nu cheaters stuffing the ballot box at enough sites to get her on the list.   ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: October 2, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Agreed to the "boo to the Ballot stuffers".

Fan's here are aware because we kept them up on it I think, but basically we had a LOT of people creating sock accounts to stuff the ballot box.  That's neither fair, nor mature (it's a toy line for Christ's sake) that they did this, but what are you going to do?  I spoke with some administrators at a few other sites and they too flushed out the "cheaters", but I didn't speak with everyone at every site, and I noticed the same stuff went on at other site's forums. 

Some seemed to catch it, others did not, or didn't pay close enough attention to bother.  The same sock accounts were turning up at most boards though, so it's no shock this was fairly wide spread.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 2, 2009, 06:36 PM »
I'm surprised that Jocasta Nu made it given the widespread communication on voting fraud for that figure.  Did JD or any other sites communicate that this was happening back to Hasbro?  Just curious how aware of the issue they are given that response.   >:(
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 2, 2009, 06:43 PM »
I would not be so quick to say that there were any kind of shenanigans regarding Jocasta Nu.  She's ranked fairly high in figure polls over the past few years.  And I think that given some remarks from a certain Hasbro staffer (who has moved off Star Wars to another line, btw) in opposition to Jocasta Nu has somewhat galvanized the collecting community to back the Jedi archivist.

There's still the matter of ToyFare's poll to take into account.  And that can still shake out any one of a number of ways.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 3, 2009, 12:41 AM »
I would not be so quick to say that there were any kind of shenanigans regarding Jocasta Nu.  She's ranked fairly high in figure polls over the past few years.  And I think that given some remarks from a certain Hasbro staffer (who has moved off Star Wars to another line, btw) in opposition to Jocasta Nu has somewhat galvanized the collecting community to back the Jedi archivist.

There's still the matter of ToyFare's poll to take into account.  And that can still shake out any one of a number of ways.

Um, it's a known fact that there shenanigans regarding Jocasta Nu on this site and others.   ::)
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 3, 2009, 02:19 AM »
For that to happen at over 20 Star Wars collecting sites that had different criteria for conducting their polls?  Then it starts sounding far-fetched.  Especially since some sites were only accepting submissions from forum members who were registered before the Fan Choice Poll was announced.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: October 3, 2009, 02:38 AM »
I can't speak for every site, just that I contacted a couple, some IP's were being shared...  It happened at each I contacted.  I don't think signing up to a forum was an issue since that's where we ultimately first spotted the sock accounts and whatnot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 3, 2009, 10:06 AM »
For that to happen at over 20 Star Wars collecting sites that had different criteria for conducting their polls?  Then it starts sounding far-fetched.  Especially since some sites were only accepting submissions from forum members who were registered before the Fan Choice Poll was announced.

Maybe you missed this a few posts above, Nick:

I spoke with some administrators at a few other sites and they too flushed out the "cheaters", but I didn't speak with everyone at every site, and I noticed the same stuff went on at other site's forums. 

Some seemed to catch it, others did not, or didn't pay close enough attention to bother.  The same sock accounts were turning up at most boards though, so it's no shock this was fairly wide spread.

I would not be at all surprised if it was spread to most of SW sites involved.  If someone is willing to make fake accounts at 4-5 sites, then why not 19-20 sites?  It really doesn't take that long to register.  I pretty much just stay with JD and Yak (where this also happened), but which sites limited entries to existing members?  As Jesse points out, some sites were contacted and some caught it, but likely others that weren't paying attention did not.  If 5 or 6 sites had Jocasta Nu show up as a top vote, that's probably all it took for Hasbro to think its a real fan favorite.

Outside all that, I know of zero people who would put Jocast Nu in their actual top 30 most desired figures.  I'm sure there are some, but why in the world would anyone want a librarian action figure?   ???

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 03:47 PM »
The Top 30 should be out today I reckon...I can't wait to proudly VOTE FOR JOCASTU NU

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 07:49 PM »
NOPE.

Check the website.  The poll has not gone live.  They still have the poll that was started in August posted.

If anything, it's likely to start Wednesday.  That's when Toyfare is delivered to comic shops.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:50 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Here is the list (unconfirmed at the moment)

Admiral Pellaeon
Bariss Offee
Bastila Shan
Ben Quadrinaros
Bom Vimdin
Cane Adiss
Cliegg Lars
Corde
Darth Caedrus
Darth Plagueis
Darth Sidious Senate Duel
Dash Rendar