Author Topic: Obi-Wan's non-cauterizing strikes...  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Obi-Wan's non-cauterizing strikes...
« on: March 4, 2008, 09:10 AM »
I realized today that in the Star Wars Universe, I can only think of two instances where a wound is not instantly cauterized by a lightsaber strike. Old Ben left Panda Baba in a bloody mess, and a mist of blood was clearly visible when Young Obi-Wan halfed Darth Maul. The constant here is Kenobi - is there anyway to write these two cases off as a particular gift Kenobi has?

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: Obi-Wan's non-cauterizing strikes...
« Reply #1 on: March 4, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Both were nonhuman ... easiest to ascribe it to some vagary of Aqualish and Zabrak physiology. Interesting theory though.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: March 4, 2008, 10:17 PM »
Maybe it has to do with the speed of the blade through flesh/bone. I could see if the blade moved slower, giving the organic material more "exposure" to the laser, the cauterizing would be more effective.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2008, 12:55 AM »
I could see that, but then again look at Luke's hand in ESB. That's a pretty quick slash and the stump is still completely cauterized.

Maybe it's Kenobi's saber ... he was running on low batteries both days. ;) Nope, that doesn't work because he used Qui-Gon's saber to kill Maul. :-\
« Last Edit: March 5, 2008, 12:56 AM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:32 PM »
Good question - if you look at the scene where Anakin slices off Mace Windu's hand in ROTS, you see a pretty cauterized mess there. And was that really a bloody mist which came from Maul when he was sliced? 'Cause you can see a red mist there - I always thought maybe it was Sith energy/power being released from his body, but I guess it CAN be blood. Maybe Ponda Baba was just too alien for the lightsaber to cauterize his flesh? Completely valid reason right there.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 10:38 PM »
It's blood. I think that some of it has to do with the thickness of the body they are cutting through. Maul's torso/waist it pretty sizable when compared to Anakin's arm in AOTC, Dooku's wrists and head in ROTS, Mace's wrist in ROTS and Luke's wrist in ESB so Maul's "flesh wound" wouldn't cauterize nearly as quickly.

The wild card obviously is Ponda Baba, but maybe Aqualish are more vascular than humans so they're "bleeders" in comparison.

Also IIRC, the Wampa in the ESB SE had a fair about of blood loss after Luke's handiwork as well.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2009, 03:05 AM »
It's blood. I think that some of it has to do with the thickness of the body they are cutting through. Maul's torso/waist it pretty sizable when compared to Anakin's arm in AOTC, Dooku's wrists and head in ROTS, Mace's wrist in ROTS and Luke's wrist in ESB so Maul's "flesh wound" wouldn't cauterize nearly as quickly.

The wild card obviously is Ponda Baba, but maybe Aqualish are more vascular than humans so they're "bleeders" in comparison.

Also IIRC, the Wampa in the ESB SE had a fair about of blood loss after Luke's handiwork as well.

Good point.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"