Author Topic: How does Padme REALLY die?  (Read 13167 times)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
How does Padme REALLY die?
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:41 PM »
A pretty good question here - how exactly does the Senator of Naboo die? In ROTS Anakin force chokes her ... we know that - but it didn't kill her! The droids that assist her (in that somewhat fake childbirth scene, I'm sorry, but we all know our moms probably went through more than that  :() tell Obi-Wan that she lost the will to live. She most likely didn't die 100% because of that, you're body can't just shut down like that because one day you don't feel like living. I heard that some novels mentioned that Anakin broke a bone in her neck, not her actual neck. So what's the reason behind this honorable senator's death? Anyone think they can elaborate on this?   
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: How does Padme REALLY die?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:37 PM »
****** writing is my answer.
"This is the way."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2009, 12:30 AM »
The truth is that she's not really dead.  The Emperor foresaw all of this happening, which is how he had the Vader suit ready and waiting in time to save Anakin.  Likewise, he had one of his agents tamper with those droids, such that they put her into a catatonic state near death.  He then tucked her away in deep storage in case he ever needed her as leverage against Vader. 

Now wouldn't someone coming across a cryogenic frozen Padme in the future be an interesting turn of events?   :D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 1, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Ya, he put her right next to Walt Disney.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 1, 2009, 10:28 AM »
Ok. Lets say that Padme isn't dead and she did come back and meet Anakin. How much would that totally mess up Anakin?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 1, 2009, 01:55 PM »
Ok. Lets say that Padme isn't dead and she did come back and meet Anakin. How much would that totally mess up Anakin?

He still thinks back to her even when he's on the Death Star (according to the novel of the same name), so I'd guess this is abouta s much leverage as you're going to get over him.  I like the idea of Palpy stashing her away - if Vader ever did train an apprentice to go against Palpy, that's one final secret weapon that would likely stop Vader right in his tracks.  Maybe they'll even write that into an EU story.  ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 1, 2009, 03:56 PM »
****** writing is my answer.

Bingo!  The weakest excuse for the death of a potentially strong woman who turned into the weakest pile of poodoo around that whiney little putz.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 1, 2009, 05:44 PM »
My question is why couldn't Anakin sense that Padme was pregnant with twins.  Apparently he doesn't know that until Return of the Jedi.  (Obi-Wan and Yoda seem to share a look too, so I'm wondering if they knew).  Shouldn't Jedi be able to sense the babies? 

They should have written it different so that Anakin was away for Padme's whole pregnancy, she has the twins just before Grevious' attack, Anakin is recalled to Coruscant (Anakin is excited to see his Wife, but doesn't know about the babies at all...), Padme is evacuated by order of the Jedi and leaves the babies in Obi-Wan's care, but her ship is destroyed in the battle, Anakin comes to blame her death on the Jedi and falls to the darkside (maybe even through in a subplot that instead of trying to save Padme, Sidious seduces Anakin with promises to resurect Padme; "A power some consider, Unnatural....").

Either way Padme's death does seem too weak and out of place for the character and Anakin's fall would have been more believable if it was because of her death, not to prevent it...
I am not the Stig

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2009, 06:01 PM »
I always thought that Anakin should have been responsible for her death.  Before the PT, I had such a romantic notion of Luke and Leia's mother being a heroine.  I always had the story in mind that she died while somehow trying to protect the children.  I had a notion that she had sent Luke to the Lars' and she went into hiding with Leia - and was killed trying to flee/protect Leia from Vader/his henchmen. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 3, 2009, 03:05 AM »
I always thought that Anakin should have been responsible for her death.  Before the PT, I had such a romantic notion of Luke and Leia's mother being a heroine.  I always had the story in mind that she died while somehow trying to protect the children.  I had a notion that she had sent Luke to the Lars' and she went into hiding with Leia - and was killed trying to flee/protect Leia from Vader/his henchmen. 

I LOVE this theory - I could totally imagine Padme dying trying to protect the twins ... and she is such a strong character, why would she just drop dead?  ???  I don't think Lucas had to kill her just to keep continuity with the OT.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 3, 2009, 10:32 AM »
I think Lucas ran out of time because he included too many scenes that were designed to sell toys. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 9, 2009, 02:08 AM »
I think there was an unstated link in the Force between Anakin and Padme.  The scene that established that idea for me was when Anakin was in the Jedi Council chambers by himself.  Lucas cuts between shots of both Anakin and Padme.  And there seems to be an awareness between them as he's making his decision to go to Palpatine's office.

And then there's the events on Mustafar.  Between Anakin Force choking Padme, and his complete turn to the dark side, I think it corrupts the bond between them and kills her.

That's my theory for now.  Although I think ****** writing might be a more appropriate cause.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 04:39 PM »
"SHE'S LOST THE WILL TO LIVE!?!? What is your degree in - poetry? You sorry bunch of hippies! For God's sake don't use the billions of dollars in medical equipment around us...why don't we all just get on our knees and pray?!?!"

I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline A.J.

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 12:39 AM »
Well, it is a complete different universe so maybe it's possible for people to lose their will to live in the Star Wars galaxy. :)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 01:06 PM »
"SHE'S LOST THE WILL TO LIVE!?!? What is your degree in - poetry? You sorry bunch of hippies! For God's sake don't use the billions of dollars in medical equipment around us...why don't we all just get on our knees and pray?!?!"

I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR!

Hehe ;D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!