Author Topic: The Official Shark Thread  (Read 23660 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Official Shark Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2005, 03:47 AM »
Did they figure out if a great white could be blown up by shooting oxygen tanks?

Dunno.  That's the episode that I missed on the first night.  My guess would be yes though.

One of tonight's three episodes was way cool.  Three different divers free swimming with Great Whites (NO cages).  One was a girl too!  One of them even went so far as to grab several rides on the Whites by hanging on to their dorsal fins.  Crazy ****!  :o

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Official 'Sharks are Cool' Thread.
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2005, 08:09 AM »

Uh, whoops!  Looks like Mikey did indeed remind me less than two weeks ago...

Dumbass.

I think Mythbusters re-airs tonight.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2005, 01:26 AM »
I caught it on a whim just when it started actually.  It was good...  Sorta funny.  About what I expected overall with the myths.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2005, 07:26 AM »
The lead in to Mythbusters, Anatomy of a Shark Bite, was pretty gruesome (at least the ending).  It's about one of the only shark bites on a human caught on tape and then the victim trying to recreate the event a year later to see exactly how a shark bite works. 

During the show they showed the actual shark biting many times, but at the end they showed the aftermath.  Dude lost his entire calf muscle and all you see is flesh hanging off his leg bone.  All of it done by an animal with a bite only twice as great as a human.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2005, 08:48 PM »
Dumbass, indeed!  :-\

The lead in to Mythbusters, Anatomy of a Shark Bite, was pretty gruesome (at least the ending).  It's about one of the only shark bites on a human caught on tape and then the victim trying to recreate the event a year later to see exactly how a shark bite works.

I believe that entire episode was an exact re-run from last year, for some reason.  Bummer.  I wish they'd show the other clip where the girl gets munched by a Great White with cameras rolling during her Senior High School trip I think (shark stays under water the whole time so you can't really see it).  She "only" lost her leg, but it was a pretty good battle, with folks screaming at her to watch out, and trying to help her and pull her away from the shark.  No idea why they haven't exploited that cool footage on Shark Week yet (happened about 3 years ago now).

As for Mythbusters, eh, that was kinda lame.  They just went through the whole Jaws movie and tried to recreate the stuff from it to see if they could really happen that way in the real world (shark towing a boat, shark ramming a hole in the boat, blowing up a shark with the oxygen tank, etc.)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2005, 09:36 PM »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2005, 10:08 PM »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 3, 2006, 08:20 AM »
I'm just posting to say that I'm at the beach this week and I don't appreciate this thread floating to the surface on the one day I found a wifi coffee shop.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2006, 08:21 AM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #54 on: July 8, 2006, 03:58 AM »
Thank god this thread got bumped, or I'd have likely missed Shark Week this year.  Thanks Dale!  Yeah, bummer about that bigass Hammerhead shark getting caught, with over 40 babies just a day or two away from birth.  Idiots.

Hopefully Richard didn't get eaten on his trip.  That'd make for a ****** birthday, for sure...

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 8, 2006, 02:01 PM »
Anybody know when that movie "Meg" is hitting theaters? It's based on the bestselling book about a meglodon...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: July 8, 2006, 04:58 PM »
Shark week's awesome...

BTW to answer my Q last year about if Mythbusters determined if you could blow up a shark with an oxygen tank, the answer is no.  The tank just blew around the testing facility wildly, but didn't explode...  The only hole was the one made by the bullet and was the exact size of the bullet.  It didn't even punch through the tank, just went in and rattled around inside.

Sharks are cool.  Monkeys riding on sharks are even better.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2006, 04:06 AM »
Anybody know when that movie "Meg" is hitting theaters? It's based on the bestselling book about a meglodon...

From everything I heard, that movie project got nixed several years ago.  Disney (of all companies) supposedly got the movie rights to it, IIRC, but for reasons I no longer recall, the movie never got out of the preliminary planning stages, unfortunately.  I was really hoping to see it come to fruition, but who knows, maybe someone will pump a little life back into the project someday...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2006, 11:44 AM »
Phew!  I thought I'd managed to miss it again, but after getting off my lazy ass, and bringing up the Discovery Channel's site, I found out Shark Week's starting a little late this year, on 7/30 (this Sunday night).  Here's the lineup, for anyone who digs this **** as much as I do:

• Dirty Jobs: Jobs That Bite
  • Shark Attack Survivors
  • Perfect Shark
  • Sharks: Are They Hunting Us?
  • Shark Rebellion
  • Dirty Jobs: Jobs That Bite Harder
  • Science of Shark Sex

Sweet, shark pr0n!  :P

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2006, 04:05 PM »

From everything I heard, that movie project got nixed several years ago.  Disney (of all companies) supposedly got the movie rights to it, IIRC, but for reasons I no longer recall, the movie never got out of the preliminary planning stages, unfortunately.  I was really hoping to see it come to fruition, but who knows, maybe someone will pump a little life back into the project someday...

New Line picked it up in 2005, Jan De Bont (Speed) was attached to direct.  Hasn't been much news since then though...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 04:06 PM by Stim »