Author Topic: Indiana Jones 5  (Read 43963 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Indiana Jones 5
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2015, 09:11 AM »
I think it's been pretty well established that Hollywood likes a proven story.  Especially when they're going to put a lot of money into a project.  Is that a completely failsafe sort of formula?  Not necessarily.  Look at the run of Biblical epics.  Lots of those films have done very well.  But then there was Ridley Scott's recent effort, Exodus - Gods and Kings.  Solid director.  Solid star.  And a story that's a known quantity.  But it really didn't perform that well.

As for rebooting Indiana Jones?  I think I would prefer to just leave the franchise alone.  Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was not a good way to end things.  If it had ended with The Last Crusade?  THAT would have been an exercise in going out on a high note.  It was a solid Indy movie.  But these film franchises are big money, and Disney wants to get their money's worth.  So?  It's reboot time.

I saw something about the Chris Pratt rumor a few weeks back.  And I had seen something about Bradley Cooper being considered, too.  I think they could both fill the role reasonably well.  And I think from a story standpoint it would be interesting to take the timeline a little bit further back than Raiders and Temple of Doom.  How about starting off with Indy in the 1920's?  How about some of that backstory of him and Abner Ravenwood?

The key though?  A good script.  Time and time again we've seen plenty of movies that had good casts and great filmmakers.  But give them a crap story, like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?  Guess what?  You're going to end up with a dogshit movie.  Sometimes you wind up with a writer/director/producer who has so much clout that nobody will speak truth to power... like George Lucas.  And maybe they've gotten lazy or unfocused and their script needs some re-writing or punching up.

And that phenomenon isn't exclusive to Indy 4, but to lots of movies in this CGI era of movie making.  Go in with a ****** story and 9 times out of 10 you're going to have a ****** movie.  Part of the problem is screenwriters and directors who write around things to specifically shoehorn in special effects.  Everyone seems to want the same level of attention for their effects that something like the bullet dodge in The Matrix got.  Get over it.  Write a solid screenplay and let the special effects serve that story, not the other way around.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2015, 03:04 PM »
I used to think (specifically around the time of the rumors of Shia taking over) that I couldn't see anyone else playing Indiana Jones.  I will say, if they are going to continue/reboot, I could get on board with Chris Pratt in the role.  I used to feel like they should just end it (probably with Last Crusade), but I think this whole new world of Disney's Star Wars has opened my mind a bit about these things.

When we first heard about Disney wanting to make all these movies (new trilogy, spinoffs, TV shows, etc.), I came to the realization (as silly as it is) that Star Wars was going to out live me.  I don't mean to say that movies are so all important that you base your life around them or anything, but when the OT wrapped I think many were like "well, I got the whole story now", then that feeling continued with the prequels "well, I saw this through to the end".  Now, there is basically no end in sight.  I liked the prequels well enough, but the OT always stands superior to me and I realized that no matter how much Star Wars we get from here on out - or how much I like it - the OT will always be "my" Star Wars.  Similar to how Harrison Ford will always be "my" Indy.  I can let go of that enough to see a new person in the role, and for a new generation to have their own new adventures to follow (and I'll be there too).  If there has to be a new actor, I'd be down with Chris Pratt in that role.  He won't be Harrison Ford, but that doesn't mean they will be terrible either.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: May 5, 2015, 01:29 PM »
Lucasfilm President Finally Confirms Indiana Jones Sequel Is on the Horizon

Great update, Vanity Fair.  There's no script for it, no director or star attached to it, but kudos on getting Kathleen Kennedy on the record that DisneyLFL are talking about it. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: May 5, 2015, 07:14 PM »
More toys!  :)

Or probably not.  :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #64 on: May 5, 2015, 07:41 PM »
It should start with showing the last scene with the aliens from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and then cut to Indy waking up showing it was all a bad dream.

And no Mutt.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 5, 2015, 08:25 PM »
More toys!  :)

Or probably not.  :(

I'd be really happy if they continued the line where it left off last time.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 5, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Some of the figures they made for the 08 Indy line are no better than the 5 POA figures they make now (looking at YOU Cairo Thugs), but I'd be all in on a 6 inch line. And then not buy anything because Japanese companies make the same figures but better. :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: May 5, 2015, 10:49 PM »
I'd just be happy seeing them limp it along long enough to round out the stuff I'd like from the first 3 films and kill it with a ton of stuff from the new movie.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about the 5 POA's creeping in though.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2016, 01:54 PM »
OFFICIAL!

FROM DISNEY:
Spielberg and Ford Reunite as Indiana Jones Returns to Theaters July 19, 2019

Indiana Jones will return to the big screen on July 19, 2019, for a fifth epic adventure in the blockbuster series. Steven Spielberg, who directed all four previous films, will helm the as-yet-untitled project with star Harrison Ford reprising his iconic role. Franchise veterans Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will produce.

“Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can’t wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019,” said Alan Horn, Chairman, The Walt Disney Studios. “It’s rare to have such a perfect combination of director, producers, actor and role, and we couldn’t be more excited to embark on this adventure with Harrison and Steven.”
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:55 PM by Jeff »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2016, 02:30 PM »
I know some will be a little hesitant after the last movie, but count me in. The Indy movies have been second only to Star Wars my whole life, so I'm down for more. It will be interesting to see if Lucas will be involved. I remember at one time Spielberg saying he wouldn't do it without him, but maybe that has changed. Either way, exciting news. Also, hopefully more toys😊

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2016, 02:32 PM »
Definitely going to see it, but I hope it doesn't follow the reboot/sequel formula of the last decade and isn't just a remake of Raiders with new characters.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2016, 02:39 PM »
I've got a bad feeling about this...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2016, 02:47 PM »
Remind me who owns new Indiana Jones movies these days.  I see where this is posted on a Disney web site.  So is this like Star Wars where Disney can do whatever it wants with new films?

I'm guessing things are a bit more complicated as it relates to redistribution rights to the first four movies, but curious if Disney has full authority on this. 

Agreed that the last film was really weak.  I'm hopeful Disney is able to revive this movie franchise with some new energy.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2016, 03:53 PM »
Remind me who owns new Indiana Jones movies these days.

All Disney at this point for Indy 5 (and beyond).

Link ->Disney Takes Control of 'Indiana Jones' Franchise for Future Films

"Disney and Paramount have reached an agreement for the future of the Indiana Jones franchise, giving Disney control over all future films.

Paramount retains rights to the first four films and "will receive a financial participation on any future films that are produced and released," says the statement from the studios."

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2016, 04:01 PM »
Thanks Jeff. 

I hope this also means GL has been fully bought out (like with Star Wars) and doesn't retain any creative rights.  He didn't seem to muck up Indy too badly even though Indy 4 was pretty weak, but its time for some new talent to lead this franchise.