Author Topic: Indiana Jones 5  (Read 43968 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Indiana Jones 5
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2016, 03:05 PM »
I could never get past kid and his Dad banging the same chick in that 3rd movie. That one thing totally skeeved me out. Plus WTF would his Dad have a thick Scottish accent? I didn't like Connery in that role.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2016, 10:17 PM »
I like TLC, personally, but yeah it's way weaker compared to ToD and RotLA.  For me I only hate Skull at this point and won't watch it.  Even it's figures kind of blow.

Comic relief in Indy should be somewhat limited.  Indy and his dad was plenty sufficient in TLC but they took it a step too far by dumbing down two secondary characters for no reason.

I attribute that to Spielberg's deciding Temple of Doom was too  girm and his comments of how he horrible he felt by depicting child slavery (Villains can't hurt kids?). So instead he goes on and trivializes Nazis by making them fantasy movie villains...again. (He made up for it with Schindler's List later).

Self-parody for a franchise that was already part homage/part satire of a genre is a bad idea. Spielberg said "I had Indy's dad played by JAMES BOND." Yet, he didn't quite learn where the Bond franchise started to falter...self-parody.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:18 PM by Scockery »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2016, 07:44 AM »
I like "The Last Crusade", too.  I've liked it since the first time I saw it.  I never took it too seriously, and I appreciated the comic relief from Brody and Sallah.

As for Connery?  I think he played it well enough.  How do you possibly play the father of Indiana Jones?  And he showed that the way to do that was to depict him as smart, passionate about his work, and an absolute ballbuster with his son whose methods he finds questionable.  I think that having him be afraid of rats the way Indy was afraid of snakes was a little ham-handed, but at least it wasn't overdone.

I think that movie and the other Indy movies are a product of their times, along with the nostalgia that Lucas and Spielberg had for saturday matinee serials and the 1930's.  But does that 1980's meets 1930's sensibility work in the 21st century?  Obviously something was not working when KotCS came out.  Was it the story?  Or is this a type of film whose time has passed?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2016, 09:56 AM »
RotLA=Great
TLC=Very good
ToD=not good
KotCS=terrible
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2016, 11:36 AM »
I think that movie and the other Indy movies are a product of their times, along with the nostalgia that Lucas and Spielberg had for saturday matinee serials and the 1930's.  But does that 1980's meets 1930's sensibility work in the 21st century?  Obviously something was not working when KotCS came out.  Was it the story?  Or is this a type of film whose time has passed?

This.

I think KotCS was ill-received because it followed the Indy formula Nicklab points out, but you have to bump it up the 20 intervening years. There is no denying KotCS is intended to be a cheezy 50's sci-fi movie (as opposed to cheezy 30's adventure serial) updated to the standard of moviemaking in the 200X's (as opposed to the 80's.) I think everyone was expecting more 30's serial stuff. I respect the update for what it was, but then I was never a huge Indy fan, and my favorite is still Temple of Doom.

And following the formula, Indy 5 will be a 201X version of a cheezy late 60s/early 70s movie. If they go back to the 30's serial vibe, then they will be acknowledging the failure of KotCS and cashing in on the nostalgia.

Either way they have my interest.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2016, 11:34 PM »
RotLA=Great
TLC=Very good
ToD=not good
KotCS=terrible

This works for me.  I didn't enjoy ToD very much at all, though it could be because I figured out a girlfriend was cheating on me at that movie.   :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2016, 04:27 PM »
Temple of Doom has grown on me as I've gotten older, after initially disliking it. Really the only bad part is Mrs. Spielberg.

Looking back, I think KotCS had some decent ideas, but everything decent was overshadowed by terrible characters and way too much CGI.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2016, 09:41 AM »
It was poorly done CG that killed KOTCS. The badly done jungle chase and monkeys. The groundhogs. The ant hill. The waterfalls. Why couldn't they have just gone to a real location more often and film? Marion looked old and had nothing to do. Mutt started off ok but just got stupid along the way. Just give me an Indy based on one off the video games and I'll be happy. Indiana Jones and Fate of Atlantis. I hear this one is going to be about the Bermuda Triangle.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2016, 12:37 PM »
It was poorly done CG that killed KOTCS. The badly done jungle chase and monkeys. The groundhogs. The ant hill. The waterfalls. Why couldn't they have just gone to a real location more often and film? Marion looked old and had nothing to do. Mutt started off ok but just got stupid along the way.

And the crap story telling, the aliens, the stupid looking skulls, the horrible casting, etc.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:38 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2017, 03:13 PM »
From LFL/StarWars.com:

The fifth chapter of the Indiana Jones series is now confirmed for a July 10, 2020 release. Both Steven Spielberg, director of every Indiana Jones film, and star Harrison Ford will return.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:16 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2017, 09:19 PM »
New toy line for it?  Hard to imagine $ being left on the table.  Summer movie and all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2017, 11:19 PM »
The unreleased figures from the previous line...will probably remain so.

As for the 5th movie...

Cue Johnny Cash song.

"My family... Marcus...Ox..., they're all gone now."

"There's still time, Indiana..."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2017, 08:00 AM »
New toy line for it?  Hard to imagine $ being left on the table.  Summer movie and all.

Because all the kids want to play with an action figure of a 78-year-old man.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2017, 09:17 AM »
I wonder if Shia LaBeouf is returning? :D

And I hope Harrison Ford doesn't try to land any planes between now and then.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2017, 10:12 AM »
I wonder if Shia LaBeouf is returning? :D

He's probably far too involved in his current performance art piece to even notice this voicemail that was left on his iPhone:

"Hey, uhhh, Shia?  Yeah, it' Stephen.  Spielberg, just in case you were wondering.  So, uh, I guess you heard about Indy 5, right?  So, Larry is writing it, and we were going over the notes.  And well, Spike died off screen in an unfortunate popsicle accident.  We thought it would help inform Indy's character arc through the movie.  So, uh, we're not going to need you.  Okay?  Bye."
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback