Author Topic: JediDefender Fantasy Basketball 2009-2010  (Read 14664 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Fantasy Basketball 2009-2010
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 02:50 PM »
For what it's worth, looking at your squad I'm not sure you need Arenas to do that well.  It's alarmingly solid.

Thanks.  Like I keep saying, I still haven't quite figured out fantasy basketball, so I'm slightly unsure of what I've got, although I think it looks good (with a league this small most people's teams probably look good).  At the moment guys staying healthy is my biggest worry.

Did you post this before or after I decided to take a flier on Oden?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 03:41 PM »
I agree with Dressel - most people's rosters look really good.  They're loaded and it's mostly injuries and how guys perform this year (I know - duh).  Arenas for example is a total stud if he plays all year, but I can say the same about Camby to a certain degree.  The odds of either playing a full year is pretty interesting but also unlikely. 

I really like my team, but there's a huge ton of risk with much of my squad.  I need Nash and Camby to remain mostly healthy - I grabbed Barbosa essentially as a handcuff for Nash; there were other guys I wanted more at that point.  I need Marion to have a comeback kind of year though my expectations are not for a return to his former lofty status, rather just be an excellent fill for utility.  That may or may not happen.  I need Okafor to really benefit from playing with CP3 and not impact West too much on the boards - if that happens then Camby just sits on the bench unless he's playing well.  My biggest concern is Brand, though at least this year I drafted him where he should have gone.  If he returns to 20/10 and a pair of blocks then I'm really happy.  He's two years removed from his achilles injury, which is largely why I didn't draft Jefferson. 

I'm really only happy with Durant, Joe Johnson (I do feel I stretched to take him) and David West.  The rest have doubts, but I can look at anyone else's roster and feel the same way.  Scott's roster seems to small to me - he'll put up tons of points, threes and get assists and steals, but I think he's going to lack in blocks and rebounds to a great degree.  Just initial impressions and I could easily be wrong. 

It's part of why I really prefer larger leagues, because then management seems to play more of a role.  Small (as in 8 team or less) leagues always seem to have loaded teams and a very full waiver wire.  I honestly feel a little empty from winning baseball.  Sure, Rob got hosed with injuries, but everyone had some to a lesser extent so it was really how your draft worked out and a few key free agent pickups.  But I could easily drop a pretty good player and find another pretty good player without really suffering.  Remember Scott's comment and joy after I dropped Ibanez (for the second time)?  How much did that really hurt me?  10-12 team leagues are the most enjoyable to me, even when I don't win. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 08:10 PM »

I thought your squad was on steroids before Oden I guess, I didn't know anyone added him today because after my last post this AM I ran off and got married.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 10:06 PM »

I thought your squad was on steroids before Oden I guess, I didn't know anyone added him today because after my last post this AM I ran off and got married.

Should we disturbed by that?  How will that affect you?  Won't Justin be disappointed?

Seriously, congrats.   :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 12:20 AM »
My biggest concern is Brand, though at least this year I drafted him where he should have gone.  If he returns to 20/10 and a pair of blocks then I'm really happy. 

Well, Brand didn't do too well tonight.   :-\  He's not hurt, but certainly not the guy you want as your starting center if that's how he'll play.  At the same time though I can't feel too bad.  If Horford is going to play like that all season, I'll probably forget all about Brand.  (Okafor had a decent night too considering how little he's practiced and Camby has had a nice half thus far)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 12:55 AM »

Congrats!  I'm flattered that you spent some part of your wedding day looking at my fantasy roster. :)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 10:29 AM »
So I've basically been without my 2nd, 3rd, and 5th round picks all year long.

I'm starting to think Brent drafted my team.   >:(

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2009, 11:00 AM »
So I've basically been without my 2nd, 3rd, and 5th round picks all year long.

I'm starting to think Brent drafted my team.   >:(

Well, I've got my 5th back now, but 3 of my other top 6 are still banged up.  My team hasn't even begun to get going yet, I'm surprised I'm not in last.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2009, 11:31 AM »
My team hasn't even begun to get going yet, I'm surprised I'm not in last.

That's what I was thinking this morning... there's lots of shuffling that happens early and all, but still being competitive in the standings at this point is encouraging.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2009, 01:36 PM »
I'm suffering QB-disease in basketball.  I have a slew of very nice centers, none of them first rounders, but a good number of guys that should be putting up good numbers.  But they only put up good numbers when they're on the bench.  Aaargh. 

And I did not draft your basketball team Rob, just to clarify. 

And Steve Nash is my new basketball man-crush. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2009, 02:14 PM »

I saw that 20 assist game the other day... ridiculous.

I wonder if Dressel's kicking himself.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2009, 03:08 PM »

I saw that 20 assist game the other day... ridiculous.

I wonder if Dressel's kicking himself.

Not quite, not after 8 games.  Besides, I got Deron Williams in his place and that's after taking Amare Stoudemire.

Nash also has a back problem that flares up every so often.  I'm going to see Nash do this for a whole season before I regret taking Deron Williams.

But yeah, it was a very nice 1/10th of a season for Nash so far.  Also not too bad for Deron.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2009, 02:00 AM »
Aknowledged and duly noted on Nash, hence why I own Barbosa (not the pirate).

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 1, 2010, 01:30 PM »
Arenas and Crittenton draw guns on each other in XMas eve locker room dispute.

Someone needs to tell Arenas he's going about it the wrong way if he's trying to get the team name changed back to the Washington Bullets.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 6, 2010, 09:42 PM »
I lost Greg Oden and now I've got no Pau Gasol... No Troy Murphy... and no Gilbert Arenas.

My squad's getting thinned out...