Author Topic: JediDefender Fantasy Basketball 2009-2010  (Read 14673 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Fantasy Basketball 2009-2010
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 12:08 PM »
Let's just say that if this were 1993, you guys would be toast.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 06:05 PM »
Doing a little skeet shooting tomorrow morning then I'll see you all at the draft tomorrow night!
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 12:07 AM »
Outside of Kobe, Iverson, and Lebron, I have no clue who these people are. . .

You probably know a little something about Shaq too.

That's how I am with hockey, something about an Ovechkin and a Crosby and I think Brodeur still plays.  Outside of that, I'm clueless.

Same with me and baseball.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 09:17 AM »
I realize with an 8 team league most teams are deep but man do I love my squad this morning.  Some of the dogs I drafted last year I avoided like the plague...and kudos to me for wrecking Rob's draft night :P

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 10:32 AM »
I realize with an 8 team league most teams are deep but man do I love my squad this morning.  Some of the dogs I drafted last year I avoided like the plague...and kudos to me for wrecking Rob's draft night :P

I agree, it's going to look awesome in 2nd place.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 11:37 AM »
I realize with an 8 team league most teams are deep but man do I love my squad this morning.  Some of the dogs I drafted last year I avoided like the plague...and kudos to me for wrecking Rob's draft night :P

The one that really got me was Kidd.  But you grabbed the other Mavs PG right before I was going to pick him too.  Then I figured I'd go Howard 2 picks later, but he didn't last.  The other fun one was how Dwight Howard and Chauncy Billups were the guys I had my eye on for my 2nd and 3rd rounders (they were projected to go around my second and third picks) but both were gone 5 picks before my second rounder...  Billups was projected 15 and went 10, Howard was projected at about 20 but went 11.   But that's how these things go I guess.

After you took Kidd, I had to go boom or bust with Arenas... if he's healthy and stays that way, I'll be sending you a thank you card at the end of the season.  If he gets hurt again, I'm in huge trouble.

I agree, it's going to look awesome in 2nd place.

Are you planning on finishing third then?  ???
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:37 AM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 11:53 AM »

The one that really got me was Kidd.  

I wound up having to bench Kidd after a while last year because he doesn't score, when he does it's at a low FG% and he was turning the ball over too much.  You can't play him every game or he really starts to hurt you, but when you do play him the REB are nice from the position, but seriously, you shouldn't need REB from your PG.  His AST and STL are good but he'll drag you down in other areas.

The other thing with Kidd is the mileage on the tires, I felt like this year could be the one...

After you took Kidd, I had to go boom or bust with Arenas... if he's healthy and stays that way, I'll be sending you a thank you card at the end of the season.  If he gets hurt again, I'm in huge trouble.

It'll be bust with Arenas and you'll be in huge trouble.  He's another one I had to bench with the TO and bad FG% back in the day.

Are you planning on finishing third then?  ???

You can consult with my squad's name for the answer to that question *

* Provided injuries are kept to a minimum, as always.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:58 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 12:12 PM »
Okay as for last night's question about it being most important in basketball to have a "top 5 pick" moreso than any other sport, here's what happened my last 3 years:

2008 - 7th pick overall

Round 1 - Dirk Nowitzki
Round 2 - Steve Nash
Round 3 - Yao Ming
Round 4 - Jason Kidd
Round 5 - Kevin Durant

2007 - 6th pick overall

Round 1 - Steve Nash
Round 2 - Yao Ming
Round 3 - Vinsanity Carter
Round 4 - Gerald Wallace
Round 5 - Antawn Jamison

2006 - 8th pick overall

Round 1 - Gilbert Arenas
Round 2 - Steve Nash
Round 3 - Boris Diaw
Round 4 - Ron Artest
Round 5 - Zydrunas Ilgauskas

In summary, last 3 years, I never got close to sniffing a top pick.  But with some careful management and thrifty late-round selections, it worked anyhow.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 01:37 PM »
Yeah, it turns out that my own recollections aren't even accurate.... the year I won I had the 9th pick in a 12 team league.  The year I finished 2nd I had the 2nd pick in an 8 team league.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 02:12 PM »
Okay as for last night's question about it being most important in basketball to have a "top 5 pick" moreso than any other sport, here's what happened my last 3 years:

2008 - 7th pick overall

Round 1 - Dirk Nowitzki
Round 2 - Steve Nash
Round 3 - Yao Ming
Round 4 - Jason Kidd
Round 5 - Kevin Durant

I handed you Nowitzki on a platter by foolishly taking Brand ahead of him.  I blame myself for your winning last year. 

Like others and duly noting a small league, I rather like my team.  Injuries will be the key and if goes anything like hockey and to a lesser extent football goes, I'll be screwed already.  Nash, Camby and Okafor are already hurt to some greater or lesser degree.  Okafor doesn't bother me given the price paid but Nash has me concerned.  I was counting on Dressel to take him at the turn and leave Williams to me.  Alas, was not to be. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 02:26 PM »

I handed you Nowitzki on a platter by foolishly taking Brand ahead of him.  I blame myself for your winning last year. 

Don't, believe me you had lots of help.

Nash has me concerned.  I was counting on Dressel to take him at the turn and leave Williams to me.  Alas, was not to be. 

Nash was a big part of 3 straight titles, but I know when enough is enough.  Nash's numbers were down across the board last year and he could be in line for even further drops this year.  Deron Williams, however, is ascending.  He too was part of one of my teams the year before last. 

Don't get me wrong, Nash is still solid and I still wanted him.  I'm just not sure he's 2nd round solid these days.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 01:23 AM »
It'll be bust with Arenas and you'll be in huge trouble.  He's another one I had to bench with the TO and bad FG% back in the day.

I know it's only one game.  But he's  .476, .889, 1 three, 29 points, 2 boards, 9 assists, and a merficul 3 turn overs.  I'd like a few more boards and a steal or two a night, but I'm encouraged.

* Provided injuries are kept to a minimum, as always.

[/quote]

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 12:14 PM »

I know it's only one game.  But he's  .476, .889, 1 three, 29 points, 2 boards, 9 assists, and a merficul 3 turn overs.  I'd like a few more boards and a steal or two a night, but I'm encouraged.

Let's see if he can stay healthy this year.  He's been hurt for 2 whole years.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 12:39 PM »

Well yeah, that's what I was getting at earlier when I said "After you took Kidd, I had to go boom or bust with Arenas... if he's healthy and stays that way, I'll be sending you a thank you card at the end of the season.  If he gets hurt again, I'm in huge trouble."

You countered that his TO's were bad and yadda yadda yadda, so when he had a good game right out of the gate, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 12:46 PM »

Well yeah, that's what I was getting at earlier when I said "After you took Kidd, I had to go boom or bust with Arenas... if he's healthy and stays that way, I'll be sending you a thank you card at the end of the season.  If he gets hurt again, I'm in huge trouble."

You countered that his TO's were bad and yadda yadda yadda, so when he had a good game right out of the gate, I thought it was worth mentioning.

For what it's worth, looking at your squad I'm not sure you need Arenas to do that well.  It's alarmingly solid.