Author Topic: Major DVD Release List for Summer/Fall '03  (Read 18241 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Major DVD Release List for Summer/Fall '03
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2003, 12:54 PM »
Well I guess that is some kind of good news. If it does get released, I sure as heck, I am not going to pay the kinda of bucks for the DVD that is going for on eBay right now!  :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3341895730&category=2305

Check the completed auctions, it's a mad house!  ::)

$75. plus!   ::)

Virex

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2003, 01:19 PM »
Yeah, those auctions are nuts--usually ending at over $100 USD.  Wow.

Well, that's what happens when the studio pulls something after they've already pressed and sent out the discs.  A similar thing happened with the first release of the 1986 version of Little Shop of Horrors a few years ago, although, in that case, the recalled version featured an alternate ending which didn't have clearance to be on there.  So they pulled it, and re-issued it months later, without the alternate ending.  Of course, the result is, the first version is one of the rarer DVDs out there, and still goes for quite a bit on Ebay, IIRC.

I don't imagine Duel to be quite the same situation, and I would think that the "final" version is going to be pretty much the same as this recalled version, so I wouldn't sweat this one too much.

Dale, if you're more interested in the Duel situation, you might check out this thread at the Home Theater Forum, although I'll warn you that it's thirteen-pages and 372 replies long.   :o

Y'all won't believe this...Duel cancelled again!

Interesting stuff.  Universal still sucks--someway, somehow, they always seem to botch every big Spielberg-related title they have. . .
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 01:19 PM by Virex »

Virex

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2003, 03:11 PM »
Here's a nice review from DVD Talk for the new Vacation: Special Edition coming out next week, for those like Matt #1 that are interested:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7241

Here's a sampling:

Watching the film on the 20th Anniversary DVD is almost like watching it again for the first time. The picture is remarkably sharp and vibrant, and the anamorphic widescreen presentation along with the uncut, unedited dialog give the movie a freshness that is very palpable. I've seen Vacation roughly 803,284 times in the last twenty years, and this DVD is the most fun I've had watching it since the first time.

There are so many classic lines, funny moments, and hilarious scenarios to mention. If you're a Vacation fan, the decision to purchase the 20th Anniversary DVD is a no-brainer. You simply must have it. If you've never seen the movie, or perhaps if you've only been exposed to the sub-par (and often substandard) sequels, the DVD also comes highly recommended. It's relatively inexpensive as far as DVDs go, and you are definitely getting your money's worth. For hardcore, longtime fans of the film, the commentary alone makes this DVD a must-buy. For the sexist pig reading this review, the DVD is even worth it just to see how amazingly hot Dana Barron has become, or how amazingly hot Christie Brinkley still is.

So, looking good.  I believe that Circuit City will have this next Tuesday for $12.99, which is the best price that I've heard of yet.

And, there's also the Vacation box, containing new, widescreen versions of all the movies, which will be debuting October 7th, for those that want to pick up all of them.  It should be in the $40-50 range.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2003, 07:02 AM »
Here's a nice review from DVD Talk for the new Vacation: Special Edition coming out next week, for those like Matt #1 that are interested...

Very interested!  Thanks for the review info V!  I'll definitely be picking this one up.  Just undecided as to whether it'll be in the boxset, or by itself just yet...

I love the top sales price info as well!  Keep it comin'!   :-*

Virex

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2003, 10:11 AM »
I love the top sales price info as well!  Keep it comin'!   :-*

Thanks, Matt--I will.   8)

And here's some more for ya:

Early word has it that Circuit City will have The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: Theatrical Version on sale for $14.99 when it comes out on the 26th.  

Nice price, and we're still waiting on "official" prices on it from Best Buy and Target, among others.  Someone else mentioned in another thread that Wal-Mart will be selling it for $17.99 that week, but they're usually good about having the "everyday lowest price", so I wouldn't be surprised to see them selling it for less than $14.99 that week. . .

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2003, 11:40 PM »
Well, we're moving rapidly towards the 20th century now here in Winnipeg.  Two Best Buy stores finally opened, so maybe some competition for pricing will finally arise.  

Everyone is posting $26.99 as the price up here for TTT, so maybe I can save a buck or two finally.  I'm still not sure whether I should buy now or wait for the more-multi-disc set ::)  I guess by now and get the 18 disc complete set in a year and a half.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Virex

« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2003, 01:11 PM »
Skipped over this one in my last reply:

Very interested!  Thanks for the review info V!  I'll definitely be picking this one up.  Just undecided as to whether it'll be in the boxset, or by itself just yet...

Well, the way I see it, it depends on two things:  How long you want to wait, and how many of the other three DVDs you think you might want to buy in the future.

Now, myself, I've been waiting on a widescreen Vacation for years, so a few more weeks isn't going to be that big of a deal.

The other question is a little trickier.  I know that I'll definitely be picking up the new Vacation and Christmas Vacation special editions.  That much is certain.  But like I mentioned in an earlier reply, I don't really give a crap about Vegas Vacation one way or the other (I think I saw plenty of that movie when I had to sit through the trailer for it a dozen times back when the Special Editions came out in '97).  So, I guess it all hinges on European Vacation, which I've only seen a brief amount of.  I think the general perception is that it ain't that great, but there are some funny parts, and the DVD itself, in terms of transfer and extras is supposed to be decent.  Plus, there's just something about having complete collections of things that I like, so I think I'm leaning towards the box set.

Look at the prices.  A quick check on DVD Price Search turns up the following:

Vacation Special Edition - lowest price $9.99
European Vacation - lowest price $9.89
Christmas Vacation Special Edition - lowest price $13.99
Vegas Vacation (new) - lowest price $13.99
Vacation Giftset - lowest price $37.99

So, the singles are going for $10-15 on average.  Let's say that the box, when it comes out, will be between $40-45.  If you know you're getting the Vacation disc, and are lukewarm on the other three, then it might be hard to justify spending another thirty bucks on titles that you aren't all that excited about.

Let's say you're definitely getting two of the four--you're already spending thirty bucks, right there, and for another ten or fifteen, you can have the other two flicks.

Of course, if you're buying three of the separates, you might as well go ahead and buy the box anyway, since you'd be spending the same amount of money.  Buying the box is essentially a "buy three, get one free" deal.

Of course, Matt, you could always buy the first one this week, watch it, pick up the box when it comes out in October, and get rid of your extra Vacation pretty easily--you could give it as a cheap stocking-stuffer for Christmas, or you might even be able to trade it for a Star Wars figure or two, or something.

Okay, I'm done.  I don't know why in the world I just wrote an essay about how to best purchase some Chevy Chase films, but, there you go.  

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2003, 03:22 PM »
Cover shot for X2, looking to hit November 25th

Cover shot for T3, looking to hit November 11th

Thanks toThe Digital Bits for the info.
Common sense isn't so common

Virex

« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2003, 04:03 PM »
Damn!  Mikey D stole my own thunder, out of my very own thread!  Wow, check out what Mikey D did!

Don't let it happen again!  Hey, man, thanks for the info!  :D

I will say that I already had X2 down for November 25, and that I had T3 down for November 18, so I was only a week off there.  But, hey, I'd rather have it a week sooner than a week later.

Anyway, thanks Mikey.

Deleted today's releases--anybody get anything interesting?--and slightly corrected T3.

And the other day, I added a few more releases for the fourth quarter, and I added hyperlinks to Deep Discount DVD for a ton of titles.

Speaking of which:

Do any of you (four) guys reading the thread find the links to DDD helpful, in the list itself?

It's almost a moot point now, since I've added the links to most of the titles already, but I'm just curious.  I haven't received any feedback about it at all, and while I don't mind doing it, it does take up quite a bit of time, and if nobody's using the links, I certainly don't need to be spending my time putting them in there.

Anyway, someone give me some honest feedback, please.  Anyone using the links to DDD?  Either way is fine--like I said, I'm just curious.

Thanks.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2003, 04:07 PM »
I myself am not ordering but I do like looking at the box art and the like so I am sorta using the links...

The Scott, Matt, Matt and Mikey (and sometimes Dale) Thread

Virex

« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2003, 04:13 PM »
I myself am not ordering but I do like looking at the box art and the like so I am sorta using the links...

Cool.  That's all I needed to know.  I've only ordered two DVDs from them (and that was months ago), so when I say "getting any use from", I don't necessarily mean "are you ordering everything from them?"--but more like even just using them for the cover art, or to get an idea of what the price will be, etc.

The Scott, Matt, Matt and Mikey (and sometimes Dale) Thread

Hey, and Brent, too.  So, that's what?  Six?  Six.  Hooo-ahh.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2003, 07:11 AM »
Great minds think alike huh, Matt?  ;)

I'm like you, I love movies and DVDs and peruse dvdtalk and HTF everyday - although I'm not actually registered at either one (which I might do someday) - so I'm pretty up to date on what's coming out, what got canceled and when coverart is released ;)

I may have clicked on one of the links for a movie that I didn't know much about just to get an idea, but for the most part I generally don't use them.  I do appreciate the effort though and am glad the option is there in case I need it someday.

BTW, this thread and the Marvel Legends thread are probably two of most favorite on the entire board.
Common sense isn't so common

Virex

« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2003, 10:38 AM »
Thanks for the kind words and the input, Mikey.  Much appreciated.

Wanted to update this with a link to the first review that I've seen for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (two-disc theatrical version) which we all are well aware hits next Tuesday:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews2/lotrtwotowers2disc.html

Film Rating: A

Disc Ratings (Video/Audio/Extras): B+/A/C+

Lookin' good. . .  (although obviously not as good as the four-discer coming out in three months. . .)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2003, 11:14 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys.  I read this thread all the time but I don't have anything to add....you guys are all on top of it!! ;D
Beth

Virex

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2003, 01:14 PM »
Thanks, Beth.  Glad you're enjoying the thread.

Just came across this site which features hundreds and hundreds of screen-caps from the new Two Towers DVD, for those of you who can't wait until next week.  

There are captures of both the sneak peek at the Extended Edition scenes, and of the Return of the King preview--both included as extras on Disc 2 of the theatrical edition:

(Spoilers abound, obviously, for those that are wary of such things. . .)

http://homepage.mac.com/elwen/PhotoAlbum9.html
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 01:18 PM by Virex »