Author Topic: Major DVD Release List for Summer/Fall '03  (Read 18178 times)

Virex

Re: Major DVD Release List for Summer/Fall '03 (Indy news)
« Reply #45 on: August 5, 2003, 08:57 PM »
Anyone an Indiana Jones fan here?

No?  Didn't think so.  ;)

Anyway, good news:

The Indiana Jones set, previously set for release on November 4th, has now apparently been bumped up to October 21st by Paramount Home Video.

Everybody's guessing that they moved it up so that it won't have to compete with Finding Nemo, which was just announced for a November 4th release a week or two ago.

====

Anyone pick up anything today?

I've read a ton of good things about the new Casablanca: 60th Anniversary Special Edition which came out today, so I'll pick that up sooner or later.  That's a must-own.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Major DVD Release List for Summer/Fall '03
« Reply #46 on: August 5, 2003, 09:35 PM »
Bah!  You also forgot Baby Galileo which me and me boy picked up tonight, great stuff

First, the Carpenter Trilogy and now this ??? :-[ :'(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #47 on: August 5, 2003, 09:38 PM »
Also that is great news on Indy, but that will probably end up being a holiday/birthday present from someone special so the release date matters not :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: August 5, 2003, 09:54 PM »
Anyone an Indiana Jones fan here?

No?  Didn't think so.  ;)

Anyway, good news:

The Indiana Jones set, previously set for release on November 4th, has now apparently been bumped up to October 21st by Paramount Home Video.

As much as I want to get that set, I don't want to do it if there's another Indy flick coming in the not so distant future...  They'll obviously release another, more comprehensive DVD boxset to include Indy 4 later on, and I don't want to get stuck with a whole duplicate set of the first 3.  And before anyone says "Just get the set in a few months, and then just buy the regular Indy 4 DVD separately when it comes out." - I'll point out that it doesn't work that way in my world!  My borderline OCD causes me to need the biggest, best, and most comprehensive all-encompasing set that there is, or ever will be!  End of story.   :P   :-\

So I'll have to see how things look.  If I can snag this upcoming set for cheap (<$40), and I find out Indy 4 ain't gonna happen for another few years, I'll probably go ahead and bite the bullet and pick one up.  But I'll be annoyed in doing so, mind you!   :-*

Virex

« Reply #49 on: August 5, 2003, 11:04 PM »
Oy, vey!  Couldn't imagine passing on Indiana Jones on the off-chance that a "better" box-set might be coming, in Fall 2005 at the very, very earliest (for the record, I don't believe we'll see any "better" Indiana Jones DVDs until the next format comes along).  Waited too long (six years) for Dr. Jones on DVD for that.

At any rate, the major e-tailers are taking pre-orders on the set for right around $45 right now, so I'm imagining that we should see it on sale for somewhere between $35-40 at one or more of the bigger retailers when it comes out in October.

Oh, and Scott?  Shaddup.

Jango Fettish

« Reply #50 on: August 5, 2003, 11:20 PM »
My borderline OCD causes me to need the biggest, best, and most comprehensive all-encompasing set that there is, or ever will be!

My OCD tells me that Season 2 of 24 should be released as a boxed set, and not in a quad-fold box so it will fit in a DVD tower. I agree with my OCD.

Having said that, I got Antitrust for $3.49 tonight. 25th Ann. Halloween was released today, but I'm passing on that.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2003, 11:23 PM by Cory H »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 6, 2003, 06:51 AM »

I've read a ton of good things about the new Casablanca: 60th Anniversary Special Edition which came out today, so I'll pick that up sooner or later.  That's a must-own.

Picked it up last night at BB.  They had it on sale for $18 and I had $5 gift card, so I got for $13 and change.  Not too shabby.  Watched the movie only last night and the transfer is excellent.  Definite must own.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 6, 2003, 05:35 PM »

I picked up The Last American Virgin for $9.99 at Circuit City yesterday.  I originally went to Best Buy around noon, they were sold out!  The guy checked in the computer and told me that ALL of the Best Buy locations were sold out (which is why I ended up going to Circuit City).  It's a great, classic 80's flick.    
Binders full of astromechs...

Virex

« Reply #53 on: August 8, 2003, 08:33 PM »
Okay--The Digital Bits is reporting in their Rumor Mill that X2 is now slated for a November 25th release date, and that The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen will be coming the week after, on December 2nd.  Also confirmed is a October 21st release for 28 Days Later, which some folks here were interested in.

In other news, TDB also has some details on what's going to be included on the extra disc in the Indiana Jones Box (not quoted because it's harder to read, IMO):

"Indiana Jones: Making the Trilogy - Documentarians raided the Lucasfilm archives for an unprecedented behind-the-scenes look at movie-making history. More than two dozen new interviews were conducted with the talented cast and crew of the Indiana Jones trilogy - some of whom were interviewed for the first time since the films were originally released. Making the Trilogy is a completely unique tour through the rough-and-tumble world of the films’ creation. Complete with never-before-seen footage, outtakes, screen tests, production drawings and photographs direct from the Lucasfilm archives, it's the most detailed exploration of these classic films ever produced.

The Light and Magic of Indiana Jones - The visual effects wizards from Industrial Light and Magic bring new insight into how they created the unique world of Indiana Jones. Their groundbreaking techniques in visual and mechanical effects came in an era before computer-generated effects existed, offering unique challenges and spectacular results. ILM technicians explain how miniatures, matte paintings, morphing and more made Indy's spectacular quests and supernatural adventures into unforgettable film experiences.

Taking an in-depth adventure in sound, The Sound of Indiana Jones joins Academy Award®-winning sound designer Ben Burtt as he reveals the crucial role that sound effects and editing played in the Indiana Jones films, while also providing an aural history behind some of the most talked-about scenes.

The Stunts of Indiana Jones goes behind the scenes to witness the intense coordination required by the entire production team to make certain a death-defying scene looks convincing on film. This documentary reveals how the Indy films paid homage to the past and were pivotal to the future of heart-stopping, perilous movie stunts.

Venture on a musical journey with John Williams as he reminisces about his collaboration with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas and The Music of Indiana Jones. Viewers will learn how one of the most iconic movie themes of all-time, The Raiders March, was conceived and gain insight into how the music uniquely compliments the theme and mood of each adventure.

Original theatrical teasers and trailers for the Indiana Jones movies, along with a trailer for the Indiana Jones and The Emperor's Tomb video game from LucasArts.

Exclusive DVD-ROM access to exclusive Indiana Jones content, available through a special DVD-ROM web site. An additional link to the Indianajones.com web site (the official site for Indiana Jones fans) will offer daily features and updates on the upcoming Indiana Jones 4."

http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Should be cool. . .

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2003, 07:13 AM »
Great news for all you fans of classic 80's cartoons - GIJoe season sets are coming!!

According to Quick Kick Theater:

Per Joe Glover (AKA Flint wo2) via Sgt. Recondo: "Joe talked to a Kid Rhino rep [at Wizard World Chicago] and got 'absolute confirmation' that the season #1 G.I.Joe 'toons will come out in 2 parts. The first half of season #1 (about 27 episodes or so) will be out in late October and will cost about $59. The second half of season #1 (again, about 27 episodes or whatever) will be out in January 2004 and will also cost about $59. Then, Rhino plans on having season #2 available in late summer 2004 - especially if the season #1 sets sell well. There is a possibility of a promotional 'extra' being sold with the DVD sets, such as a figure or whatever. The 'extra' is all unconfirmed though."
Common sense isn't so common

Virex

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2003, 02:32 PM »
Thanks, Mikey, for the update. . .

Removed the titles that came out today from the list, and added a few just-announced titles to the late October/early November part (SpongeBob, Honeymooners, Legally Blonde 2).

Next week should be a pretty good week, with the two Michael Moore documentaries, Chicago, and widescreen Vacation. . .

Anyone get anything today?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2003, 02:37 PM »
Not yet...any new Baby Einstein, Wiggles or Sesame Street DVD's out?

GI Joe is great news, I watched the show a couple time when it was on Cartoon Network last winter, great stuff!

Now, bring back MASK, MOTU and I'll be happy :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2003, 02:40 PM »
Oh, and Matt???  I read somewhere (I guess on your list ;)) that there was A Special Edition disc set coming out for the classic A Christmas Story...got any info?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 02:41 PM by OCB »

Virex

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2003, 02:44 PM »
Yeah, posted the cover a few pages back.  Should be cool--two-disc set, I believe.  Both widescreen and pan-and-scan transfers, a commentary featuring the director and the (now grown up) kids, a few featurettes, and some other stuff.

I'll see if I can find the official spec list and post it here.

Virex

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2003, 02:49 PM »

"Also just announced from Warner are the full-specs for the highly-awaited two-disc special edition of the perennial classic A Christmas Story. Also due on October 7th, in addition to anamorphic widescreen and full screen transfers, extras include a screen-specific audio commentary with director Bob Clark and the cast, the "Another Christmas Story" documentary hosted by star Peter Billingsley, the "A History of The Daisy Red Ryder" and "Get a Leg UP: A Shining Light of Freedom" featurettes, the "Jean Shepherd Radio Program," "Triple Dog Dare" and "Decoder Match" interactive games, easter eggs and trailers. Retail is $26.95."

http://dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2003/08_04.html

Looking to be an enjoyable 20th Anniversary for fans of The Christmas Story, with both the swell-looking DVD and the action figures (!) coming out soon. . .

EDIT: Added cover
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 02:54 PM by Virex »