Author Topic: NHL 2009 - 2010  (Read 33339 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2009 - 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Fleury retires a Flame

It was pretty cool seeing him attempt a comeback and be fairly successful in the preseason, scoring 4 pts.  He seems to have conquered his demons, so I hope he's able to continue on top.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: October 2, 2009, 01:58 AM »
Pens are raising the third banner, in the last year at Mellon (Civic) Arena...  I could almost cry.  :'(  They're showing the raising on the big screen outside for people who couldn't get tickets for the game too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 3, 2009, 03:23 AM »
And a win to open it, a fight with Godard and Brashear, a goal from Malkin and Crosby (a nice start to the season), and a generally entertaining game from both teams to boot.  Game 2, tomorrow night.  No rest right off the bat.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: October 3, 2009, 03:57 AM »
It was tough to watch Sakic's Jersey retirement the other night. It was a really special ceremony. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed any tears. We were very fortunate to be able to have a man and player of his caliber as captain for so long. Super Joe will be missed.

It was good to see the team win last night for Joe. Hopefully they can continue to bring the fire they had last night all season. At this point I don't really expect the Avs to make the playoffs. I'd just like to e able to play hard, competitive, and exciting hockey night in and night out (and avoid another last place finish.) I'm glad hockey is back. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 09:36 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-9-year-old-scores-greatest-goal-in-Boston?urn=nhl,195876

It's very difficult for an adult to have hands capable of that kind of stuff, but for a 9 year old it's really impressive.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 09:46 PM »
Hire that kid!   8)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 10:00 PM »
If you listen close, you can hear the goalie: W... T... F...?  ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Yeah, the kid's good until he starts playing with 14 year olds and they allow hitting.  He pulls that crap in a game and some six two, 200 pound fourteen year old will have him saying WTF when he comes to on the stretcher ;)

It's pretty cool though.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 10:29 PM »
Actually the article said he plays up with older players...  didn't specify but I'd assume 12-ish.  Probably not middle-school aged beyond that though.

That was a between-periods thing in Boston I think, so I doubt he'd give that a go in a game or he'd eat ice or the crossbar.  ;D

I never had good hands, so I must admit I'm jealous...  of a 9 year old.  ::)

I was more of a bruiser, and junk goal scorer, if I scored, haha.  Life's a bitch I guess.  I didn't bring my f'n toys on road trips though!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:30 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 10:47 PM »
I was a goalie, which may explain a lot. 

Anyway, yeah, article said he plays with 12 year olds (or audio did) so the kid's got talent, no question.  Goalie should have been way out of his crease instead of standing there stiff legged.  Not to take away from the kid's ability, but I gotta wonder if the goalie wasn't set up as a patsie. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 10:50 PM »
They do these in Pittsburgh and it's usually one team's skater vs. the another's goalie...  No clue if it's the same up in beantown though.

I goaltended once when both ours didn't show for a game...  I never goaltended again.

BTW,

Penguins win after a lengthy shootout.  Chris Kunitz (of all people) with the winning tally...  That's how far down the depth chart they wound up going.  We had 2 d-men go ahead of Malkin tonight.  Not what I'd go with personally, though Letang's got magic hands with the SO so I dig him up there.  Malkin though looked poopy on his try.  Very slow.  Fun once again pissing in the Cane's cornflakes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:52 PM by Jesse James »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 02:53 AM »
I saw the highlights of that Pens/Canes shootout - very exciting to watch going 5 (or was it 6?) rounds.

Anyone have plans to go to a game yet?  I've always been a Bruins fan but now live in the Canucks' region (it's still 4 hours away though) -- I thought it would be cool to see them play in person, but Boston isn't coming to Vancouver this season. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 03:21 AM »
I think six...

It went Letang, Crosby, Guerrin, Gologoski, Malkin, and then finally Kunitz won it.  I think that was the order anyway... Only Crosby and Kunitz scored so it was a lot of stops till Kunitz snuck one through the 5-hole.  Ward was playing phenomenally tonight...  Robbed Malkin, and Guerrin, both with highlight reel saves in the game.  The shoot-out saves were nice, but his saves in the game were spectacular.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 10:48 AM »
Anyone have plans to go to a game yet? 

The only defininte tickets I have so far this year are Wild v. Blackhawks in January.  My sister/brother-in-law have season tickets though, so I always manage to sneak in a few unscheduled games thanks to them not being able to go due to working late or getting sick or what ever.  :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender