Author Topic: NHL 2009 - 2010  (Read 33343 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2009 - 2010
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2010, 12:48 AM »
Yeah I was kinda geeked at the prospect (especially with Boston and Buffalo being fairly closely matched, at least on paper) of a long OT tonight.  Not as long as I was hoping for ultimately though.  And Satan scored the winner too...  He should just not play hockey till the playoffs start.  It's like he sleeps till April-ish.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2010, 11:15 PM »
The curse lives  >:D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2010, 11:25 PM »
I was waiting for you to say something.  :D

BTW, the Malkins are backin town...   :-X  I'm not sayin' anything other than, we always like when they come back to town.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:26 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2010, 11:39 PM »
I was waiting for you to say something.  :D

At one point the game was very close, so I was holding off.  Thankfully the dead things pulled it out. 

Gotta say I appreciate the Phoenix fans keeping the white out going, but it does look remarkably dumb now that the home team is wearing the dark jerseys  ::) 

I am simply ecstatic to see the Coyotes lose.  Really.  (no bitterness here at all, nosirree)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2010, 12:01 AM »
They do the whiteout here too, which I thought would go away, but Fleury said it actually helps spot the puck so they still do it...  I think a lot of teams have lifted that.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2010, 09:46 PM »
Looks like we're off to Montreal...  I'm not a Caps fan, but that was an exciting end to that game for sure, and they were playing their hearts out.  I didn't catch who did it, but I liked the diving sweep to keep it from going in the empty net.  Wow!  :o

To Caps fans, welcome to 1993 playoffs for us...  I know how it feels to dominate a regular season and then get tossed in the 1st round of the playoffs.  Of course, we were playing a clutch-and-grab team in the Islanders that year, and I didn't see that as much in this series (what I've seen of this series), but hey the feeling is still the same.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2010, 09:50 PM »
That was goaltending that won that series, so kudos to Halak.  Washington, like Chicago, went into the playoffs with iffy goaltending so it's a surprise they lost but the hot goalie (and Montreal blocked something like 43 shots in this series).  That loss is going to sting for quite a while. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2010, 09:56 PM »
Yeah...  Washington was a really dominant team through the regular season, but it goes to show the playoffs are the second season, as they say.  Washington looked, at least to me, like they didn't try pressuring the offensive zone much too, which makes shot-blocking a lot easier.  They didn't seem to try *******, but rather end-to-end ****, which is great for the firepower they have.  But when they are against a team blocking, that's tough.

The Senators were blocking shots like beasts all series long against us too, very similarly, but what beat them was hard work down low most of the time, and *******.  They tried opening up once or twice and got their asses handed to them for it.

I saw that Ovechkin was playing high a lot, which he does sometimes, but I didn't expect when they're down by one goal at the end of a game 7.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2010, 10:07 PM »
I agree with Brent on Halak, he owned Washington the last 3 games - 131 saves on 134 shots (.978, 1 GAA).  It will be interesting to see if he can keep it up against the Pens.  If he stays hot, Montreal might just sneak into the next round.  Boston V. Philly should be a good series... bloody, but good.  :P

I can't believe all three division winners in the East crapped out.  Kind of Funny how the West has 1,2,3,5 seeds left, while the East has 4,6,7,8 left.  Complete opposites it seems.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:08 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2010, 10:45 PM »
I can believe Buffalo...  I thought going in that they were missing way too much except goaltending, which can get you by but relying on it is risky.  Philly dumping NJ I'm surprised at, but they seemed to have Brodeur's number so I guess that is a big deal.  The Caps losing sort of surprises me just because they were the dominant team in the East all season.

I figured I'd just mention that the local talk show is talking about what you mentioned too Jeff, on the seeds left in both conferences...  They were wondering if it's ever been like this in the history of the league (guessing not).  It's kind of weird for sure.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:51 PM by Jesse James »

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2010, 07:18 AM »
Way to **** the bed three games in a row Caps!   ::)

Green was the dog last night for sure.  Stupid penalty for the first goal and completely missed the guy on the second.  Ovi can't do everything.  It would be nice if someone on the team could have scored a goal in the past three games.

I think Washington may be the new Philadelphia in terms of a championship drought.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2010, 08:31 AM »
I've always said I thought Ovechkin was better than Crosby.

I am here to eat crow. Clearly we know who the big game player is and thus Crosby (as much as I can't stand him) is the better star.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2010, 10:34 AM »
I've always said I thought Ovechkin was better than Crosby.

I am here to eat crow. Clearly we know who the big game player is and thus Crosby (as much as I can't stand him) is the better star.

He sure can't grow a playoff beard though...I shaved five hours ago and have more of a beard now than he does.

Really, Ovi's stats for the playoffs were about the same...5 goals and 5 assists to Crosby's 5 and 9.  Ovi did have one extra game.  Crosby also has better back up than Ovi did.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2010, 10:38 AM »
For me the tie breaker for BEST OF "whatever" is playoffs/championships and regardless of help or not Crosby has a cup and his team advanced this year. Ovechkin's was the dominant best team this year and loses to an 8 seed after having a 3 to 1 game lead.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2010, 11:58 AM »
A hot goaltender doesn't make the Caps a bad team.  It's happened tons of times historically.