Author Topic: NHL 2009 - 2010  (Read 33345 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2009 - 2010
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2010, 11:54 PM »
There's a fight in the crowd according to the announcers over near Luongo's end.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2010, 12:01 AM »
There's a fight in the crowd according to the announcers over near Luongo's end.

Yeah, CBC has historically tuned to a commercial for a fight in the game, never mind in the stands, so won't see that.  Vancouver rioted when they lost in the Cup final so kinda curious to see what happens tonight. 

Love the Hawks, not sure they have the goaltending going forward.  Hate the Sharks. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2010, 12:03 AM »
Really, the CBC cuts away from the fights?  FSN Pittsburgh will actually dump out of a commercial break if a fight breaks out before they have cut away.  

Fights in the stands are surprisingly rare...  I wonder who started it?  

Hah, VS. just looked like they were panning for crowd fights a second ago.  I've never seen them scan the crowd so much after a game's end as they just did.  You'd thought there was a riot dispersing the way they were focused on the crowd, but I saw people shaking hands and stuff (the few Vancouver people still hanging around anyway).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:05 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Yeah, it's an old school thing with CBC and may even be mandated by our telecommunications government folks here but I'm not sure.  But they've done it forever.  I was a huge hockey fan growing up and fights were always part of the game, rightly or wrongly.  But it made my 10th birthday so vivid a memory because we were at a WHA game between the Nordiques and the Jets and there was a massive bench clearing brawl and I got to see it all from the stands.  Got home super late on a school night too which made it cooler. 

Surprised the Glendale city council voted in favor of covering the losses  :o  I suppose they have a huge honkin' new arena that needs a tenant but that's a pretty substantial sum (25-30 million) to cover.  They were apparently assured there'll be a buyer by fall so they won't have to cover the losses.  Mind you they listed Ice Edge and Reinsdorf's groups among those buyers, so I don't know about that.  I do believe Bettman's NHL really, really doesn't want the Coyotes going back to Winnipeg.  I think he/they would tolerate an Atlanta to Winnipeg move much better even though it amounts to the same, but way too much egg if it's the Coyotes. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36 PM »
Pens are losing tonight to a team that had their number in every way.  Halak earned it but their team's capitalized on the Penguin mistakes in the d-zone all night and all series, and their defense is one of the strongest (if not the strongest) left in the playoffs.  I think they have the chance to go very far against any team because they're so patient.

I said from before the season even started that the Pens didn't cover up the holes they had during the Summer on defense though, and I think that ultimately killed them.  The Habs have capitalized on every mistake our D made, and there were plenty, and that makes a winning team.

Still though, a 2009 Stanley Cup is a nice way to send out the Civic Arena before we move into the new place. :)  A longer playoff run in 2010 would've been nice, but I'm not down on the flightless birds.  They did good.  The crowd is giving them a standing O in the last 48 seconds.  

I'm going to really miss the building because this is where I grew up with hockey.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:44 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2010, 09:59 PM »
I'm going to really miss the building because this is where I grew up with hockey.  :'(

My building I grew up with is gone but so is my team, so at least you have a team still.  Hard to see them lose and end the era that way though, but Montreal?  Whoulda thunk it.  They gotta be pleased facing either the Flyers or the Bruins.

Too bad San Jose won.  If Boston can manage to win again against the Flyers, three of four would be original six teams.  Would love to see a Montreal-Chicago final. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2010, 10:54 PM »
I'm pulling more for San Jose, as I'm not a Chicago fan, but I could go either way with Montreal and Boston/Philly...  I think you gotta look at Montreal as the "favorite" in the series regardless though.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2010, 09:39 PM »
Did the Habs even show up to play? How the hell they made that far is beyond me.  ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2010, 10:00 PM »
Yeah they collapsed...  Didn't even look like the same team the Pens and Caps played the way Halak let soft ones in, and their defense didn't single anyone out...  *shrugs*  The weird thing about NHL playoffs I guess, and why betting on NHL games is not a popular passtime.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2010, 12:18 AM »
The NHL announced that the Winter Classic will be in Pitt next year...  I'm anxious for this, and am going to try like mad for tickets.  Getting ones to the Buffalo game were not hard I guess, but I don't know how it was for the later games.

I just hope I can nab 3 or 4 for this one.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2010, 01:41 AM »
Yeah, interesting day.  Bettman actually admitted to talking to a (THE) potential ownership group in Winnipeg and said he'd like to see teams back in Winnipeg and Quebec City.  I'm not sure if the latter has an ownership group or not.  He didn't mention Hartford, but I wouldn't mind seeing a team back there either. 

Been thinking about the Jets too - if Winnipeg actually gets a team again, I don't think it should be called The Jets.  That name dates way back to when politicians talked about Winnipeg being one of the major airports in the world as a central travel/distribution center, something that never happened.  Plus it was frankly an ugly jersey/logo, no matter how nostalgic it may be for some like me.  New name, new colors, new logo is the best thing they can do. 

And we would be an awesome city for the winter classic too though maybe too cold for the players (didn't they whine in Edmonton?).  Very cool they announced they'd play in Pittsburgh, I think they mentioned Calgary as well which strikes me as a pretty big risk for warm weather based on the chinooks they often see that are totally unpredictable. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2010, 02:03 AM »
Yeah I saw something about Calgary/Montreal playing a Heritage game but now I don't recall details...  I didn't see about where that one was being bantered about on being played. 

Buffalo was a blast...  I mean, it was blizzarding at times, then it'd stop but start back up again 20 minutes later...  Then the ride home was comical.  2 hours in blinding snows.  That Lake-effect stuff gets nasty. 

I'm just excited it's a short drive this time.  That's the best.  And the city's already talking about making a whole weekend of it with parties, hockey stuff going on all over town (they already have always played a high school game outside on the N. Park Lake, and are talking about that being bumped to the day before the Winter Classic). 

My big fear now is my ability to get tickets.  This is something that will be easy for people to fly in and make a long weekend out of everything.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 8, 2010, 08:18 PM »
... they listed Ice Edge and Reinsdorf's groups among those buyers, so I don't know about that.  I do believe Bettman's NHL really, really doesn't want the Coyotes going back to Winnipeg.  I think he/they would tolerate an Atlanta to Winnipeg move much better even though it amounts to the same, but way too much egg if it's the Coyotes. 

And Reinsdorf's group is back out.  Again.  ROFLMAO. 

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 9, 2010, 09:54 AM »
Ridiculous that the team has lost money every year since it moved.  If they would have moved it to Minnesota like they should have, that would not have been the case.  Oh well, we did end up with the Wild and the XCel Energy Center, so it worked out pretty well for us.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #179 on: June 9, 2010, 11:08 PM »
Holy **** what a weird finish.

Congrats to Chicago-ites.