Author Topic: NHL 2009 - 2010  (Read 33327 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2009 - 2010
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2010, 11:38 PM »
Bring on USA... bring on USA...  ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2010, 11:54 PM »
That almost went south for them.  I got home, 3-0.  I go out to shovel another half foot of snow we got dumped with tonight, and when I come back in 3-2...  Holy ****.

I missed apparantly an impressive finish.

An interesting point (and Brent's touched on it) brought up by the local sports talk show I like was "What is more important", and of course it's the Stanley Cup Vs. the Olympic Gold...  I think both are important for different reasons obviously.  Personally though I feel like the Olympics are tainted with the pro's in it (it's not something I care for), and the one point one guy made from the local CBS station said a goalie can run away with games for his team in the Olympics whereas the length/struggle that is the Stanley Cup makes it more of a true test (plus it can obviously be more balanced, though I think the Olympics are pretty balanced these days surprisingly).

I just found that an interesting topic.  I tend to agree that I feel the Stanley Cup's the true "big prize".

I've also been a little disappointed to see things like taunting and things in the Olympics...  To me, it's definitely a challenge, it's competitive, but I just feel that goes against the spirit of the Olympics itself.  Hockey's the only sport you see it in blatantly/constantly, but it's still just not jiving with what the tournament's about too.  That's a tough one to really bitch about but it's there in my mind.

This has probably been one of the better Olympic games though, I must admit.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2010, 12:12 AM »
That almost went south for them.  I got home, 3-0.  I go out to shovel another half foot of snow we got dumped with tonight, and when I come back in 3-2...  Holy ****.

I missed apparantly an impressive finish.

Priorities: Hockey or shovel snow... the snow will still there!  ::)   :P

How aboot that Women's hockey?  ;D  :-*

BTW, 10 Gold Medals & counting...  :-*

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2010, 12:25 AM »
I figured 3-0 late in the 3rd and Canada had it wrapped up.  Someone got a fire lit under their ass I guess.

Plus it's 11 here, i gotta get this **** done so I can go to bed! :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2010, 09:31 PM »
I figured 3-0 late in the 3rd and Canada had it wrapped up.  Someone got a fire lit under their ass I guess.

Yeah, the last 5 minutes were all Slovakia.  DEmitra, Kopecky, Hossa were nuts - lots of scoring chances, lots of press, but ultimately they were just overpowered at the end.  The finish was much better than I was expecting with the 3-0 lead like you said... Canada got a little sloppy, but came back when it mattered. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2010, 09:34 PM »
Well I hope that little near catastrophe wakes their asses back up again. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2010, 02:46 AM »
It's going to be a VERY interesting game on Sunday.  I'm almost scared to watch.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2010, 05:29 PM »
How about now?  Great game...shame someone is going to lose :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2010, 05:51 PM »
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2010, 06:53 PM »
That was a fantastic game today.  Could have gone either way.  Congrats to both teams for the great effort.  You've done your coutries proud.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2010, 09:02 PM »
Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!   ;D

I caught the last 13 mins & the overtime... 14 Gold Medals!   :-*

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Yeah, that was a great game.  OT really could have gone to either, but in Canada for the games, I guess I'll let Sid have his moment.  Congrats to Canada and hooray for North America showing the rest of the world how its done. ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2010, 11:03 PM »
How about now?  Great game...shame someone is going to lose :-\

Absolutely.  Through the round robin and playoffs Team USA was the best team out there.  Miller was by far the best goalie and Rafalski was just amazing in this tourney. 

I am not sure I can explain how important that win was to the country as a whole.  Without it, Canada as a nation would have been in a state of depression tomorrow.  A successful games with a record tying 13 gold medals, most gold medals by a host country in the winter games, first gold(s) at home in the Olympics all would have been erased if that puck had not gone in for us.  With it the nation is proud, energized and probably half the country calls in sick tomorrow.  A record number of golds stands at 14 at home.  Not bad for a big country with no people.  Maybe Own the Podium did seem somewhat arrogant early on but by the end of it we did ok for having 10% of the population of the US. 

The closing ceremonies were a hoot too.  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: March 1, 2010, 12:50 AM »
Wow, what a friggin' game.  Fantastic start to finish.

I had the benefit of being excited about the Americans possibly winning all game long, but also I was lucky that it ended the way it did too because Crosby's become almost (I stress almost) as important to me now as Lemieux was to my childhood growing up, and so it's really great to see him get the game-winning goal in OT like that...  I was really torn.  I was torn all through the tournament.

The only team I was pretty sure I didn't want to medal was the Russians because I really just don't care for Ovechkin (Love Malkin and Gonchar of course).  Yeah, hate me some Capitals. :)

And now back to the grind...  :P  Pens have some work to do.  Rumors are flying about Crosby's chemistry with some of his teammates and possible trades.  I dunno though. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #104 on: March 1, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Rumors are flying about Crosby's chemistry with some of his teammates

On the "bad chemistry" side, Crosby and Orpik got into it pretty good in both games...  I was really hoping he'd put Sid out - that would have been fun for you I'm sure.  >:D