Author Topic: Beginning of the End?  (Read 67467 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: Beginning of the End?
« Reply #120 on: January 4, 2010, 01:54 PM »
But in many cases, the BOGO sets are only from September.  Most of the ones I've seen are Phantom Menace wave, and the Jedi wave.  Most of these figures were only on the shelves for a few weeks bfore being bundled up.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 4, 2010, 05:22 PM »
I wish I could find more Gungan Warriors, 2 pack or no. I had hoped to build up a squad or two of these. I rarely army build anymore and squads are about as big as I go any more.

That figure was near to impossible to find. I think I have 3 maybe 4 of it. Was hoping to get 10. sigh...and I still need Chewie from the ANH wave and any figs from the ESB wave on.

I'm almost thankful for the lull in new product. Hopefully I can get caught up on all of this other stuff.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 4, 2010, 10:36 AM »
I guess this is sort of along the lines of the "collector's interest" thread, but I thought I'd bump this one up as well.  Aside from the fact that we've got a lot of neat stuff on the way this year ("vintage" line, new AT-AT, new Jabba, etc.), it sure seems like there continues to be a lot of "doom and gloom" answers from Hasbro when relating to the Legacy line.  We've now seen the final wave become a store exclusive, and we continue to see comments from Hasbro on how bad Legacy is doing.

It seems like, at least for the most part, that although Hasbro says Legacy isn't selling/etc., most of us see it fly off the shelves locally.  I know I can count seeing one Legacy figure on the pegs at my three closest stores (Target, WM, TRU), with the rest of the pegs stuffed full of CW and Legends.  I don't doubt that those others lines sell too (CW in particular), but I certainly don't see the Legacy line pegwarming at all locally.

I used to think that there was no end in sight, at least for the most part.  A scaling back maybe, but no "movie" line at all seemed doubtful to me.  I'm starting to wonder a bit now.  Hasbro really seems to be telling us consistently how poorly Legacy is doing, and it sometimes seems like they are "preparing" us for a bleak future of movie figures.  That being said, there is a lot of neat stuff coming out and on the way this year.  The "vintage" line could be all sorts of cool, we've got the new Cloud Car and Snowspeeder, I think we're all anxious to see the new AT-AT and Jabba, and there could be other surprises on the way as well.  It does have the feel of "pull out all the stops" for the collectors this year.  Anyways, I didn't think we'd see the end of the "movie" line, but part of me could see it at least going on hiatus if this continues.  Hasbro is obviously seeing something we're not as far as sales go, and if that doesn't change it seems like it could continue to scale back.  I think we've got awhile longer for that yet, and hopefully at least a good couple years of "vintage" line would be nice, but I'm starting to wonder if it is winding down now as well.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #123 on: February 4, 2010, 10:42 AM »
I think, and I could be wrong, that when Hasbro says it isn't selling it's because there are mountains of product in their warehouses that stores aren't bringing in, due to slow sales at retail.  The line moves at retail, but I don't know if it does enough.  A good comparison is Clone Wars - around here, CW goes through 2-3 cases for every one of Legacy.

I see all the doom and gloom, too, and like I said in another thread, I prefer to see the glass half full.  Like you said, we're getting lots of great stuff this year - vintage, Jabba, the AT AT - if it's near the end, it's been a good run.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 4, 2010, 11:14 AM »
I still see the glass as half full too, but this is probably the most pessimistic that I've been with this line in over a decade.  I really think Hasbro has made some serious blunders over the past year. 

They made so many ill advised decisions this past year, I really hope they have learned from their numerous mistakes.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #125 on: February 4, 2010, 11:39 AM »
I still see the glass as half full too, but this is probably the most pessimistic that I've been with this line in over a decade.  I really think Hasbro has made some serious blunders over the past year. 

They made so many ill advised decisions this past year, I really hope they have learned from their numerous mistakes.

You summed up what I wanted to say perfectly. Being a Designer I can understand many issues other do not in terms of design, production etc but Hasbro truly made some big blunders in a time when the economy is hurting. I saw some apathy settle into them and they got real sloppy. Even though they praise Legends that line really over saturated the pegs. Vintage should be all encompassing with the lines, what's the point of Legends when they are going to rerelease popular characters on vintage cardbacks at this point? I think they would do better by 6 new and 6 Legends type figures to keep all of the iconic characters in.

I have been with the line since day one and the worst points were late 2001 and 2003 when it seemed like it was over as stores got nothing and there was not much product on the horizon. If this year does not do well I expect to be in one of those cycles or the line will go into a hiatus. Let's hope this years offering brings back those who bailed according to Hasbro.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 4, 2010, 12:46 PM »
I think, and I could be wrong, that when Hasbro says it isn't selling it's because there are mountains of product in their warehouses that stores aren't bringing in, due to slow sales at retail.  The line moves at retail, but I don't know if it does enough.  A good comparison is Clone Wars - around here, CW goes through 2-3 cases for every one of Legacy.

I see all the doom and gloom, too, and like I said in another thread, I prefer to see the glass half full.  Like you said, we're getting lots of great stuff this year - vintage, Jabba, the AT AT - if it's near the end, it's been a good run.

I agree.  I tend to look at things in a "glass half full" scenario as well.  Although it has been a rougher time for Legacy (and now Vintage) type stuff over the past year and into this year, it has been some of the best product yet I think.  The fact that they are bringing back the vintage cardbacks really has me excited, as does the AT-AT, Snowspeeder, Cloud Car, and Jabba.  All great things.  I'm someone who hopes the movie line goes on for years and years, but even if it is on the downhill side of things, like you said - we've had a good run.  Honestly, there are just a few things I'd really like to see done and the rest is just gravy.  They could get to most of them in 2 years time, but who knows if that will happen.  There will always be unmade characters I'd like to see, but other than a handful, I mainly want to see resculpts of some older figures at this point.  I'm sure I'm in the minority there, but a nice mix of resculpts and a couple new figures each wave would be good for me.  These lists could get longer (and we have another thread for it anyways), but I hope we can get to resculpts of these characters before 2011 or 2012 is all done with:

Bespin Han Solo
Hoth Luke Skywalker
Admiral Ackbar
Wicket/Logray
Gamorrean Guard
Rebel Fleet Trooper
Nien Nunb
Zam Wessel
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard - SA)
Endor Rebel Soldier
AOTC C-3PO
TPM Jar Jar Binks

Otherwise, like many, I just want to see the vintage line finished up (the last few remaining).  Aside from those, the wishlists we have here pretty much cover the unmade characters I'd like to see (ROTS Palpatines, Cantina Aliens, Jabba's Palace in particular), and I wouldn't mind seeing a re-done Taun Taun before things are all said and done.  Like I've said before, I'm enjoying collecting more than ever as far as the quality of stuff goes lately (figures, vehicles, and beasties have all been pretty great lately)...and I'll stick with it as long as it is going.  I'm curious to see what wishlists will look like this year, as things seem to be getting more "re-do" heavy all the time for the movie stuff.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2010, 05:17 PM by Brian »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 5, 2010, 10:51 AM »
I'm officially starting to buy into a state of uncertainty when it come to the basic figure line. I certainly hope it's years before the plug is pulled, but all the same I'll be happy with less product each year.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 5, 2010, 02:02 PM »
I'm officially starting to buy into a state of uncertainty when it come to the basic figure line. I certainly hope it's years before the plug is pulled, but all the same I'll be happy with less product each year.

That's sort of what I was thinking as well.  Like I said, I'm definitely with the "glass half full" crowd, because I think we've been getting (and are scheduled to get) some really nifty stuff over the past couple years and into this year (and hopefully next).  That being said, I used to think this line would last for a long time (with the way things have gone), but I'm getting to the point now - from Hasbro's various answers and the retailers preference for the better selling CW stuff - that an end could possibly be in sight.  I never would have thought that a couple of years ago.  I hope we get a good 2-3 year run of the new "vintage" line, finish out the unmade figures from the original vintage line, as well as get some new characters and key resculpts before things finish up (if it goes that way).

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 5, 2010, 04:25 PM »
The recent press release showing how well Star Wars toys sold this year should be more than enough indication that this line isn't anywhere near dying.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 5, 2010, 09:24 PM »
Sometimes I think the end might be nigh, but at the same time, with all the rumors floating around of a theatrical re release of the films in 3D, I can't see Hasbro ignoring the opportunity. That said, if the line does end in a few years, I don't think I'll be too disappointed. We've gotten a pretty good haul of goodies over the years, and while I'd miss it, I wouldn't feel like we'd missed getting anything absolutely necessary.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 6, 2010, 12:22 AM »
Does that release just say that Clone Wars sold well though and that was it?  I don't know what to think from Hasbro honestly.  They say it's not selling well but I don't really see them rot on the pegs that much.  I have a hard time finding all of the ESB figures hanging on the pegs at each store.  I thought for sure Willrow would be in abundance (no offense to the Willrow supports since I am one) but he's actually been pretty darn scarce around the stores I frequent.  Unless they have tighted the reigns on everything?  OR they mean the stores just buy a couple cases sell through and then move on and not reorder???  I don't know?   

Yeah, if it does die it we all have to admit it was a helluva run from 1995-at least 2012.  We are all going to die in 2012 anyway  ::)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 6, 2010, 04:14 AM »
Yeah, if it does die it we all have to admit it was a helluva run from 1995-at least 2012.  We are all going to die in 2012 anyway  ::)

I reeeally hope that was a sarcastic comment because I just reeeally don't want to be thinking about all that 2012-fandom stuff on a simple action figure collecting site (it's just not the place).

All that aside, I really do think that Hasbro's blaming the collectors on their growing demise. Too many obscure choices, all in one line, is just not healthy for the TLC. All these obscure choices killed the line, IMO. Yes, people wanted the Organas, they wanted Yarna, they wanted more Cantina drunkards...

And that's fine. But Hasbro should have balanced it out. How? Another Darth Maul. Senate/Office Duel Palpatine or Yoda. But Hasbro's saving those away for later, for some future grand-slam wave. Really, Hasbro? What they need to do is balance out the popularity of the figure choices per wave and line.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2010, 04:16 AM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2010, 11:49 AM »
I thought about starting a new topic along these lines in the Vintage Collection section, but wasn't sure if that was necessary.  We obviously still have more to see and learn at CV, but after seeing the line at Comic Con, what do you think the future holds for the Star Wars line?

Honestly, I think the work Hasbro is doing on the product (speaking of Vintage, but applies to CW for the most part as well) is some of the best they've ever done.  There is rarely a "stinker" figure in a wave, and some of them (like the upcoming Gamorrean, Ackbar, or even Wicket) look really amazing.  Add in the great vehicles and other stuff (AT-AT, Snowspeeder, Cloud Car, Jabba, and more) and the line is really pretty good all around right now.  Outside of that, I think the Clone Wars line is really put together pretty nice - and in many ways similar to the vintage line of our youth as far as character selection, "mini rigs", and vehicles.

I suppose a lot will depend on the sales of TVC, but it sometimes seems like this might be the big "last hurrah" for the movie line.  If sales really take off, I think that will change a lot, but as we've noticed with our wishlists, we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for figure choices.  Couple that with the fact that it seems "fan figures" like Willrow, Yarna, Ephant, etc. will be few and far between.  A lot of our lists have included resculpts from the POTF2 era and beyond, and I think the ROTJ wave is a good example of how much Hasbro can improve on those figures.  Although there does seem to be a lot of excitement for the Vintage Collection, at the same time a lot of people aren't happy with the lack of "all-new" figures or the fact that non-OT are appearing on the vintage style - so I'm wondering if TVC will generate the big sales and bring collectors back like Hasbro hopes it will.

Anyways, long story short, although I'd be in for the movie line for as long as it lasts, I think that if we had a good 3 years of the TVC line running in this fashion, I'd be pretty happy.  Get a lot of resculpts done (Bespin Han, Hoth Luke, etc.), maybe a new character here or there, and a few more new vehicle/beast re-dos and I think I'd be pretty happy with everything all considered.  If it shifted over to one line, Clone Wars-centric, I think I would be ok with that.  That being said, I definitely don't "want it to end", and I hope we see a lot more movie product for many years to come.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2010, 01:44 PM »
I think that the TVC was meant to reboot the realistic-styled figure line.

Now, what I'm trying to figure out is what will Hasbro do with the realistic-styled line once TVC is over in 2+ years? Considering this is THE big line, it's going to be tough for Hasbro to start a new line all over in 2+ years once TVC has had its full run.

Now, althought I hate to think of it, there WILL be a day when there's no other NEW characters to make from the movies. Let's take a look at the current status of ANH - if you notice on RS's wishlist polls, the only NEW characters on there at all are Cantina denizens. Will Hasbro make EVERY single denizen in just one wave? No, and chances are not every patron will be made! Just 5 years after its release, and Hasbro is already running out of characters from ROTS to make.

I'm sure we'll continue to keep getting Darth Vaders with minor changes, but that's a testament that Hasbro's running out of stuff to make. I personally think TCW figure line will not end until the show's over, mainly because there's a stead income of new material to make, but because the movies ended a long time ago, Hasbro has to face the fact that one day they'll run out of stuff. I don't see Hasbro cancelling the realistic-styled line because of poor sales, sales in the 'Star Wars' toy business seem to be great, but rather closng it because they'll be forced to produce the same thing over and over again. And repacks don't seem to help the situation.   
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"