Multimedia > Star Wars Universe

'Star Wars' in 3-D?

(1/23) > >>

Brian:
I'm sure this is just a wild rumor, and nothing more, but I just thought I'd post it here for anyone interested.  I saw this a few places online this morning:

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/10/exclusive-lucasfilm-gearing-up-another.html

Apparently, as the rumor goes, Lucasfilm will be watching the success of the upcoming Avatar movie in hopes of doing a new Star Wars trilogy completely in 3D.  Also as a part of the rumor, Steven Spielberg and Francis Ford Coppolla are rumored to be possibly directors.  This makes this rumor even more unlikely to me.  I would like to see at least the previous movies released in 3D eventually, that would be pretty cool to see.

Jesse James:
I wanted to make a joke like,

"And everyone gets free BJ's and jelly beans at the theater, every time they go see it!" :)

Just a bit of a "too good to be true" feel to it all.   ;D

Darth Broem:
It all depends upon the success of Avatar.  That part cracked me up the most.  As if that would matter to Lucas.  "I'm only going to make another SW trilogy unless Avatar in 3-D hits this number!!!" 

Nicklab:
Rick McCallum was talking about Star Wars in 3D back at Celebration III, and back then he was raving about how much it adds to the presentation.  He noted that Lucasfilm had prepared demos of several scenes with the new technology and he said that scenes like the opening of ANH were phenomenal.

60 Minutes did a piece on James Cameron and Avatar last week.  It's posted online here.  Cameron seems to be one of the leaders in the 3D movement, but it's telling that Avatar is going to be released in both 2D and 3d formats.  But, 3D televisions are set to hit the market in 2010.

What does it mean for Star Wars?  Who knows.  There was a rumor going around that Lucas had contracted Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford for a future project, but I've never seen any official confirmation of that.

IncomT65:
No thanks, seeing the current Carrie in a gold bikini isn't something I want to experience. Not in 3D, nor in 2D or 1D!

Besides, I watched Ice Age 3 3D in the theatre last summer and it was the most painful movie experience ever. I got a splitting headache from that stupid pair of 3D glasses as well as a sore arm from holding the thing up (it kept sliding down my nose). It was like wearing a pair of glasses with a wrong set of lenses. Really frustrating and tiring. The whole 3D hype didn't fade into nothingness for nothing you know. It should stay in the 80s and never return  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version