Author Topic: 'Star Wars' in 3-D?  (Read 50558 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 'Star Wars' in 3-D?
« Reply #30 on: March 3, 2011, 04:05 PM »
Phantom Menace now has an official release date of February 10th, 2012.  I would guess we'd see each additional movie around the same timeframe each year then.

Not unless they did like the special editions and did subsequent months. But I think what they are doing with 3D is much more complex than adding a couple scenes here and there.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 4, 2011, 08:07 AM »
February, there's a way to avoid competition. I'm curious how well it will do.

I gotta wonder if they'll make it to all 6 films before the 3D trend tapers off.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 4, 2011, 10:56 AM »
Does the world really need Jar Jar in 3D? I don't think so.

Still it would be interesting to see if they replace the Yoda puppet with the CG version.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #33 on: March 4, 2011, 01:19 PM »

The world doesn't need Jar Jar in any D.

Still it would be interesting to see if they replace the Yoda puppet with the CG version.

We'll likely have already seen it in the BluRay version.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: March 5, 2011, 02:54 AM »

The world doesn't need Jar Jar in any D.

Zinger!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 8, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Just wait. That will be someone's signature.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 8, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Outwardly, this release looks like it could be a cash grab on both LFL's and Fox's part.

Will there be anything really eye-catching in the 3D release of TPM?  I think the Pod Race sequence has potential.  So does the space battle.  And the underwater sequence on Naboo might be interesting.  I'm not sure about much else though.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #37 on: March 8, 2011, 06:56 PM »
I think the lightsabe battle will be cool in 3-D.

I did the math and Colin will be 4 when ANH is released, provided they keep to the one movie per year schedule.  It will be the first movie he sees in the theater!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: March 8, 2011, 09:33 PM »
Way it was meant to be.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 7, 2011, 01:08 AM »
Yeah, I would like to see it in 3-D.  They don't really have to add anything that special.  I would just like to see certain things pop out in 3-D.  I could imagine lightsaber fights and blaster effects looking pretty good in 3-D if they get creative with it.  I don't think 3-D is going away anytime soon.  It's going to be around at least another decade or so.  I may even buy a 3-D TV....sometime during the next decade. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: May 7, 2011, 03:10 AM »
I'm stupidly just interested in going to see SW at a theater...  I'm dumb like that I guess, but at this point I don't go see films much...  Star Wars though, I'll make the exception.  Even Episode 1, I'm just interested in going to see a movie.

SW will likely be the first movies I ever seen in 3D too (not counting blue/red glasses type 3-D movies).  I've yet to see any movie in 3-D.

I will say, ever since I saw the IMAX thing on special effects back in the 1990's and they had the Destroyer chasing Leia's Blockade Runner across the screen...  I've wanted to see Star Wars on an IMAX theater screen, 3-D or not.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2011, 10:41 AM »
"Star Wars 3D May Be One and Done"

http://movies.ign.com/articles/117/1176583p1.html

According to this article, which cites and interview with Rick McCallum, although all six have been converted and prepared for release, if the first release (Phantom Menace) "doesn't work" (which I'm guessing means makes money), we may not see the other ones.  Who knows how true this is, but that would stink if TPM was the only release we saw.  Sort of wish they would have started with ANH.  I can understand why they would go in numerical order, but if they wanted the most successful release I think that the original Star Wars would be the best bet.  I'm pretty sure it made (pretty easily) the most of the special edition releases as well, and I think it may be the same way this time around.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Like Rick McCallum knows anything.   ::)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2011, 10:17 PM »
It wouldn't make any sense to go through all that work and manpower to not show them... and to start with the weakest films too.

But I think a lot of us want to witness Wedge come at us when he flies through that TIE's debris.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2011, 10:16 AM »
"Star Wars 3D May Be One and Done"

http://movies.ign.com/articles/117/1176583p1.html

According to this article, which cites and interview with Rick McCallum, although all six have been converted and prepared for release, if the first release (Phantom Menace) "doesn't work" (which I'm guessing means makes money), we may not see the other ones.  Who knows how true this is, but that would stink if TPM was the only release we saw.  Sort of wish they would have started with ANH.  I can understand why they would go in numerical order, but if they wanted the most successful release I think that the original Star Wars would be the best bet.  I'm pretty sure it made (pretty easily) the most of the special edition releases as well, and I think it may be the same way this time around.

Not looking good for a release of all six movies, if these graphs are any indication.

The updated graph below shows almost every major 3-D release since the beginning of 2009. The ratio of 3-D revenue to 2-D revenue per theater is shown on the Y-axis, and the dotted red line represents the break-even point. The trend that was beginning to take shape last summer has deepened in the last few months. (Data exclude any film that opened at fewer than 1,500 locations, and films with "3-D" in the title, which only a fool would see on a flat screen.)

Story:  Slate: Who Killed 3-D?

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."