Author Topic: 'Star Wars' in 3-D?  (Read 50554 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
'Star Wars' in 3-D?
« on: October 22, 2009, 01:35 PM »
I'm sure this is just a wild rumor, and nothing more, but I just thought I'd post it here for anyone interested.  I saw this a few places online this morning:

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/10/exclusive-lucasfilm-gearing-up-another.html

Apparently, as the rumor goes, Lucasfilm will be watching the success of the upcoming Avatar movie in hopes of doing a new Star Wars trilogy completely in 3D.  Also as a part of the rumor, Steven Spielberg and Francis Ford Coppolla are rumored to be possibly directors.  This makes this rumor even more unlikely to me.  I would like to see at least the previous movies released in 3D eventually, that would be pretty cool to see.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: New Star Wars Trilogy (in 3D) Rumor
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 03:58 PM »
I wanted to make a joke like,

"And everyone gets free BJ's and jelly beans at the theater, every time they go see it!" :)

Just a bit of a "too good to be true" feel to it all.   ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:06 PM »
It all depends upon the success of Avatar.  That part cracked me up the most.  As if that would matter to Lucas.  "I'm only going to make another SW trilogy unless Avatar in 3-D hits this number!!!" 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 03:38 AM »
Rick McCallum was talking about Star Wars in 3D back at Celebration III, and back then he was raving about how much it adds to the presentation.  He noted that Lucasfilm had prepared demos of several scenes with the new technology and he said that scenes like the opening of ANH were phenomenal.

60 Minutes did a piece on James Cameron and Avatar last week.  It's posted online here.  Cameron seems to be one of the leaders in the 3D movement, but it's telling that Avatar is going to be released in both 2D and 3d formats.  But, 3D televisions are set to hit the market in 2010.

What does it mean for Star Wars?  Who knows.  There was a rumor going around that Lucas had contracted Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford for a future project, but I've never seen any official confirmation of that.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:02 AM »
No thanks, seeing the current Carrie in a gold bikini isn't something I want to experience. Not in 3D, nor in 2D or 1D!

Besides, I watched Ice Age 3 3D in the theatre last summer and it was the most painful movie experience ever. I got a splitting headache from that stupid pair of 3D glasses as well as a sore arm from holding the thing up (it kept sliding down my nose). It was like wearing a pair of glasses with a wrong set of lenses. Really frustrating and tiring. The whole 3D hype didn't fade into nothingness for nothing you know. It should stay in the 80s and never return  :)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
'Star Wars' in 3-D?
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:06 AM »
With the success of Avatar, the maker is looking back at the Star Wars flicks... 3D!

'Star Wars' in 3-D? It Could Happen George Lucas believes 'Avatar' has paved the way

Avatar kicking George Lucas in the ass to make 3D Star Wars?

'Avatar' gives Lucas impetus to revamp 'Star Wars' for 3-D

I just hope Lucas remembers that without a compelling story and interesting characters, 3-D is just a gimmick. In other words, he might want to revisit Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, but no one needs 3-D versions of the most recent trilogy

Messa gonna be in 3D!   :-X

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 'Star Wars' in 3-D?
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 05:42 PM »
I'm interested...  I'll go see any of them again at a theater.  Even Episode 1...   :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 11:51 AM »
I'm interested...  I'll go see any of them again at a theater.  Even Episode 1...   :-X

Me too, and hopefully it happens sooner than later.  Honestly, if they were showing the movies on the big screen - even not in 3D, jsut a re-release - I'd love to see them on the big screen again.  It would definitely be nice to see the OT that way again, and hopefully 3D would just enhance that.  I've never been to a 3D movie, but it seems like it could be pretty cool with SW.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 02:38 AM »
I wonder if the annouced blu-ray version of the movies will have a 3D version? Wouldn't that be lots of fun buying a new $2k television just so you can watch Star Wars in 3D?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 10:44 PM »
It's official. Anyone else not care?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 06:25 AM »
OT  :D....... PT   ::)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 09:59 AM »
Its exciting to me simply because it means having the movies back in theaters again, similar to the OT SE releases in the late 90s.  Personally, I've never seen a 3D movie, and its quite possible these would be my first.  I'll definitely be going though, I know that.  It is just neat to me to have them back in theaters, I think - aside from obviously the original releases - the SE release time period was a lot of fun in 97.  Having the toy line back at retail, and all the OT goodness, despite anyone's opinions on some of the changes (some good/some bad) it really was a fun time.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 10:16 AM »
Ya I could care less for this 3D stuff and the inflated ticket prices, but will definitely be nice to have at least the OT back in theaters again.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 12:17 PM »
Big whoop. Those prequel movies suck in 2D, 3D, even in four or more dimensions. Their suckitude defies all known laws of physics.

And I'm sorry, but 3D tech is still woefully crude; who wants to wear glasses over glasses?

I was hoping they would have at least started with the OT.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 12:44 PM »
I'm not "super duper excited" or anything, but I'm sure I'll go check them out when they hit theaters.

I can imagine 3D being sort of neat for some scenes (TPM Pod Race, RotS Mustafar Duel, ANH Trench Run, ESB Asteroid Field, etc).  Others may not be so neat (anything with JarJar's tongue).  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender