Collecting > Customizing Tips and Tricks

Best Glue?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Siths Herald:
I can't tell from the image if that is Super Glue gel, or if it's the regular liquid type.  I love the gel for customizing.  I have found though, that if a glued part ever does break off, it is much more difficult to get two surfaces with glue residue to mate than it was when the surfaces were only plastic.

Jesse James:
The problem with "super glues" is they can fog plastics, they don't actually fuse plastics together (they bond only), and tend to eventually wear over time.  I use liquids (not gels) though for gap filling.  It's a modeling technique to use baking soda to fill the gap and then drop some super glue...  It makes a rock hard, sandable filler.  :)

I use super glues for some other stuff too though, it's a staple in the rotation of materials for sure.  For sticking a hat on a figure though I really would stick with something that isn't going to damage paint and stuff.  Hot glues are really good for that.  If you don't care though, super glue's bound to be more sturdy but will damage the place they bond the hat to the head incase you pull the hats off at some point.  Just a word of warning.

Ryan:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on November 18, 2009, 01:12 AM ---The problem with "super glues" is they can fog plastics, they don't actually fuse plastics together (they bond only), and tend to eventually wear over time.  I use liquids (not gels) though for gap filling.  It's a modeling technique to use baking soda to fill the gap and then drop some super glue...  It makes a rock hard, sandable filler.  :)

--- End quote ---

Wear goggles when you mix baking soda and super glue. That **** burns your eyes.

Jesse James:
Yes.  I wouldn't want the fumes inhaled much either, but it makes a nice filler.

David:
Okay this is weird but hey I'll share it anyway while we're on the topic of fogging plastics. I use the liquid super glue a lot in my customs, and when the plastic fogs, I've somehow figured out that rubbing spit on it will usually make it go away.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version