Author Topic: 2010 Disney Star Tours Box Set  (Read 62396 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2010 Disney Star Tours Box Set
« on: November 17, 2009, 10:37 AM »
No details on what the set will contain, but confirmation of a new Star Tours box set was offered up in the Q&A @ RTM:

2. With the announcement that Star Tours at Disneyland getting a makeover in 2011, will we finally see non-droid Star Tours characters made? I'm talking about the flight crew (cast members), Teek or the Mon-Calamari flight controller? A full-sized Star Speeder 3000 that could double as a carrying case would be a welcome addition as well.

Answer: Yes, there will be some new non-Droid characters debuting in a special Star Tours themed set next year. Stay tuned for new of that right around Toy Fair time. As for a full-sized Star Speeder 3,000... not a chance that we'll do anything to interact with 3-3/4" figures.

So, non-droid characters from Star Tours - good idea?  bad idea?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Disney Star Tours Box Set
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 10:54 AM »
Awesome.  I am the scummer that has been asking the questions about Ewok figures from the Ewok movies being made in the past few RS.com's QnA's.  So this makes me very happy about this new pack.  While I have never been to/seen this "Star Tours" thingy - I am betting this is where Teek will be placed - and I couldn't be happier! 

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:39 AM »
There was a smaller model of the Star Speeder 3000 made several years ago and sold at Disney parks.  Depending on how one fudges their scales, it could either be between 1:48 and 1:64 scale.  It had the droid pilot figure, R2D2, a full cabin with seats, opening doors, and well-integrated lights and sound.  I never got one myself, but my younger brother did.  I do have some of the Star Tours droids on the POTF2 cards, however.    

As for the ride, if you have not been on it, fork over the cash and go to Disneyland (or Disneyworld).  The ride is totally worth it.  While the time has come for a makeover, I still really love the "Original Trilogy" feel of the existing ride at the Disneyland Park in California.  It does an excellent job of making you feel like you've entered the Star Wars Universe, even if the events are a little non-cannon.  Having grown up with the original films, Star Tours was such an awesome experience when I firs rode it as a kid in the late 1980s.  I got to do all the Star Wars things I wanted to do: go to lightspeed, fly through an asteroid field, shoot TIE fighters in a space battle, and fly the Death Star trench run.  Too bad all kids know these days are the prequals and the Clone Wars cartoons... They're just not the same.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:48 AM by tmanthegreat »
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 01:12 PM »
and what stinks is that I am actually planning on taking a road trip to Disney World this year for Christmas (driving from NW Indiana to Orlando) and I would have to pay to enter a different park to see this.  I really wish that wasn't the case but I don't think I have enough time/cash to justify hitting up another park for one attraction.

please correct if I am wrong about Star Tours being in a seperate park from the Magic Kingdom.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Is Teek actually a part of this? I've never been on the ride.

Anyway, if so then heck yeah, I'm all for Teek being made. I've got a friend that would be absolutely elated if Teek were made.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 02:34 PM »
I picked up this years Jedi Training set and I actually liked it. I definitely do not mind nice looking generic characters as long as they are not too Disney looking. I am bored of droids so some non droid characters are welcomes. One of my favorite figures in my collection is the Star Tours R5-D2. With Comics packs going to the SKU grave and less exclusives I am more than happy to get more offerings like this.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Blech - no thanks.  I liked the Jedi Acadamy set enough to buy two of them, but not interested in the Star Tours crew at all.  I'm a hard core completist and I still haven't bothered to pick up all of the Star Tours Droids.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:09 AM »
Regardless of whether it's a good idea or not, it makes sense from Disney's POV.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 06:35 PM »
Blech - no thanks.  I liked the Jedi Acadamy set enough to buy two of them, but not interested in the Star Tours crew at all.  I'm a hard core completist and I still haven't bothered to pick up all of the Star Tours Droids.

While I'd buy crew members, no questions asked.  I got all the Star Tours stuff, being one of the few 1980s Star Wars areas left mostly unexplored before 2000, I'd gladly go grab more.   Bring that stuff on, I'm all for it.   (Heck, put a crew member or two in a box with Teek and two droid repaints and I'd probably even overpay for it.)  I'm 100% behind more 1980s-based stuff, the weirder, the better.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline darth_sidious

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 07:20 PM »
If Teek is in this set, I'd buy one for sure.

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Is Teek actually a part of this? I've never been on the ride.

He is in the pre-flight video, that shows you to buckle your seat belt, and no flash photography, etc.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 01:33 PM »

While I'd buy crew members, no questions asked.  I got all the Star Tours stuff, being one of the few 1980s Star Wars areas left mostly unexplored before 2000, I'd gladly go grab more.   Bring that stuff on, I'm all for it.   (Heck, put a crew member or two in a box with Teek and two droid repaints and I'd probably even overpay for it.)  I'm 100% behind more 1980s-based stuff, the weirder, the better.

Okay Hasbro, you heard it here.  Please produce 5 boxes of the Crew Member set for Adam and the 4 other people who might be interested in Star Tours crew members.  Blech.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 01:13 AM »
Anyone have images of what the crew would look like?  Depending on their looks I may be interested...   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 01:00 PM »

Best pic I could find. I could have sworn there was more blue in there though, but I haven't been to a Disney park in 5 years.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 03:09 PM »
So we're getting a bunch of Asian girls in orange, potentially?  Hmmm

THey look like the people working for a Bond villain.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77