Author Topic: 2010 Clone Wars Packaging  (Read 15177 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2010 Clone Wars Packaging
« on: November 20, 2009, 01:27 PM »
Jayson posted a preview or the 2010 Packaging Style for Clone Wars over at Yakface.  I think it looks pretty snazzy.  Definitely a lot more color and pop compared to the mostly white look we've ben seeing lately...  

Hasbro said they were hoping to differentiate the Legacy and Legends stuff from CW a bit more with the 2010 packaging... I wonder if that means that the Legacy Droid Factory replacement stuff will share the blue too or if it will veer off into it's own look/style?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:43 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at 2010 Clone Wars Packaging
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Wow, that's looks awesome.  Can't wait to see how they incorporate it into carded figures. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 02:08 PM »
I like it...Very "fresh"  Too bad the current card design turned me into an opener, but such is life.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 03:29 PM »
I like it too, it's very unique looking/different.  Kind of action-y, it's attractive to the eye...  I too wonder though what Legacy's going to look like now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:34 PM »
Damn you, WebSense!!! >:(

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:45 PM »
I like it too, it's very unique looking/different.  Kind of action-y, it's attractive to the eye...  I too wonder though what Legacy's going to look like now.

Good question.  It's supposed to be very differentiated, so I would guess it will look exactly the same, but with a Stormtrooper in place of the Clone Trooper.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 12:57 PM »
I don't collect the CW line, but seriously, how many packaging changes does Hasbro make in a calendar year? They literally JUST STARTED putting figures in the new packaging, and now that is already irrelevant. I wonder how much money from these recent price hikes go towards the design of worthless packaging changes? Pick a design and stick with it Hasbro.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 05:26 PM »
The current red/white packaging should last until summer/fall 2010 so the new design needs to be worked out now to be ready for printing and product roll out next year.

Also, the current Red/White line was revealed in Jan 2009 and we saw the new packaging in stores in June, so seeing this preview now isn't anything new really and is in keeping with a 12 month marketing campaign.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 08:40 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 07:23 AM »
I don't collect the CW line, but seriously, how many packaging changes does Hasbro make in a calendar year? They literally JUST STARTED putting figures in the new packaging, and now that is already irrelevant. I wonder how much money from these recent price hikes go towards the design of worthless packaging changes? Pick a design and stick with it Hasbro.

This sort of thing comes down from Lucasfilm, not Hasbro.  It's part of the deal with the license.  Lucasfilm Licensing actually comes up with a new line look and all of the licensees have to change their packagaging accordingly.  There will be differences in the way licensees will present it:  LEGO will have a slightly different look from Hasbro, but there will be an overall common theme with all of the licensees.

The line look will change some time around July 2010.  I found out there would be a packaging change from Hasbro back at Comic Con.  So basically it's an annual thing now.  The motivation is that Lucasfilm Licensing needs to keep changing it up in order to keep things fresh and eyecatching.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 10:35 AM »
They've been more or less changing the line look every year since 1999.  There's always been some change from one year to the next, even if it's been pretty subtle.  I like the new packaging for CW, but I hope the Legacy line is really different.  Just putting a stormtrooper up there instead of Rex won't really do it.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 11:22 AM »
Let me just start by saying that I do like the look of this sample. I understand the requirement set forth by Lucasfilm to refresh the packaging every year. Specifically when it comes to Hasbro (which is what I collect) I dislike the frequent packaging changes simply because as a MIP/MIB/MOC collector it gives Hasbro an excuse to try to get me to buy the same product I already had over again.

The time has come though that the licensees should really stand up to the annual packaging change requirement - keep their lines humming along with the same packaging styles and maintain their pricepoints, instead of using packaging changes as an excuse to increase their prices.

The number of licensees who STILL have product on the shelves today that feature the 2008 Blue/White packaging style is testament to the fact that the packaging styles should last for at least 18 months (if not two years) instead of just one year. I'm not talking about Hasbro either - Lego, the tall talking dolls from Diamond, those Marbs things, heck even small throwaway stuff like tins and candies you see as you walk through the registers at stores like TRU, lots of it is STILL in the Blue/White packaging.

If Lucasfilm is going to require the packaging refresh, then they should bare part of the burden of refreshing the product on the shelves.

People who buy Star Wars stuff aren't going to buy Star Wars because the packaging is "eye catching". This mentality, in my opinion, is old school marketing. Now that we're in holidays mode, most of the (grand)parents I see in the toy aisle are specifically looking for Star Wars because that is what their (grand)kid WANTS - it's not because they went into the store, looking for Bakugong (whatever the hell that crap is called) and said "hey, that Star Wars packaging sure looks spiffy, let's buy junior that instead!"

Here's another example - my niece wants some of those Zhu Zhu Pets hamster things. My sister tells me she wants two of them in particular. My response to my sister was like "are you kidding?" If you find one grab it who cares which hamster it is, isn't something better than nothing? Apparently not, my niece only wants the gray and tan ones. My point is that no matter what the packaging looks like, kids WANT what they WANT, for most kids the packaging goes into the trash never to be seen again.

This was the same thing when my own son was younger - he wanted specific things, if we tried to substitute it with something else it was a disaster, and even if we had him with us looking through the toy store, he gravitated to the things he liked regardless of packaging.

To think that your packaging is going to win a kid over to your product line is just ludicrous.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:24 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 11:40 AM »
I don't know if I like the new look or not. It's hard to visualize a carded figure from a generic packaging sample like that...it looks more like the package for a DVD boxset than an action figure. I guess it feels too reminiscent of the old white/blue packaging. I have been digging the red motif as a nice change of pace.

My problem with them changing the packaging design is that Hasbro feels this is an invitation to cram their waves with multiple repacks. We got a ton of those in the TCW line after they moved to the red. Ugh.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 11:50 AM »
My problem with them changing the packaging design is that Hasbro feels this is an invitation to cram their waves with multiple repacks. We got a ton of those in the TCW line after they moved to the red. Ugh.

Yep! And with many of those same figures still hanging around on the pegs in the Blue/White packaging it was silly that those same figures were getting repacked so quickly.

Meanwhile - good luck finding a generic all white Clonetrooper or a generic all tan Battledroid!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Packaging is the cheapest part of the equation when taking into account the actual pricing of merch and it's the easiest thing to update to give the illusion of "new stuff" on the pegs. If things are warming the shelves in the 2008 blue/white packaging that is more attributable to the "**** in the box" versus its wrapper.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:56 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 11:58 AM »
Packaging is the cheapest part of the equation when taking into account the actual pricing of merch and it's the easiest thing to update to give the illusion of "new stuff" on the pegs. If things are warming the shelves in the 2008 blue/white packaging that is more attributable to the "**** in the box" versus its wrapper.  ;)

Good point - so shouldn't Lucasfilm want their licensees to focus on the product and not changing the packaging every year? It may be cheap to manufacture, but it can't be easy to have to shift gears and make new templates to cut the cardbacks, mold the bubbles or trays, etc...

Seems like a distraction that shouldn't be necessary.
Peter