Updated 12/6/10The Back story:
After a year of my collection being packed away as we sold our condo, moved into my in-laws then bought a house I wanted to create the collection room I always wanted! My last Star Wars room was nice but I wanted to take my collection display to the next level this time around to show off my years of collecting in a much more impressive fashion.Creating the new room vision:
I bought all new shelving, new carpet & gave it a fresh coat of paint that would give me the consistent set up I always wanted to have. I wanted to do something different with the shelves that has not been done yet (at least I have not seen it done to this degree). I chose the dark shelves to replicate a wide screen movie feel as the decoration inside each shelf is what would bring my collection to life:. I called it “Shelfpaper”.
Using some official artwork & screen grabs from the films, I created individual background images for each shelf. It was a very tedious process as I had to plan out everything that I was going to display, set it all up and most importantly be happy with it. Once that was all done I had to take it all down so I could size and create/alter the art for the “Shelfpaper”. Once printing and installation was complete I then had to set up the figures all over again. It was well worth it and I am very happy with the results so far. My collection now “lives” on the shelf instead of just sitting there.Key notes about my collection:
- I only collect 3.75’’ scale figures, I am a focused collector; it builds a better collection in my opinion. I collect the realistic line with a few & far between animated figures if it looks real enough.
- Older sculpts of figures & ships are phased out of my collection. I only want the best of the best and I want them to have a consistent look for fleets & army builders. (I have gone as far as upgrading my A-Wings with the modern cockpit and my Y-Wings with the modern front cannons to keep them up to date.)
- In regards to my Troops I primarily focus on movie troops. Outside of a few EU battalions my army is comprised of 85% “real screen Troopers”. All of my standard Troopers must be an SA version. You will find no other type outside of a SA style. I am also not into too many “Skittles” Troops.
- All Prequel Clones Saga style DC-15 blasters have been replaced with the more accurate Evolutions DC-15 Blaster style. Yes, all have been replaced. Both versions of the DC-15A Rifle are still in my collection as they still look great.
- I swap out certain weapons and even heads to create the best version of a characters. (All of my ANH Lukes have the Resurgence head, All of my Chewbaccas have the Legacy Pilot Bowcaster with the weathering detail, etc. I go that far to be perfect!)
- I was able to display about 85% of my overall collection. I have two 45 gallon storage bins of figures and ships that I just could not display. (Not shown)
- One corner of the room is the “Calrissian Custom Corner” where I make custom figures and have a dedicated section for the smoothest smuggler in the Galaxy and my favorite Beer!
- Want some tips and tricks? Want to see some cool customs?
Check out my blog here:http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/
ENJOY!!! Pan view of the room shots:
">Visit the Blog and you can see super large images of all of the pictures above plus close up shots!
As always I will continue to update the pictures as I finish the uncompleted shelves and update displays.
Thanks for looking stop back and LMK your feedback!