Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 15060 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 05:55 PM »
Couldn't decide on which dimension to watch Avatar in, but I settled on good ol fashioned 2D. 

Fantastic movie - loved it. 
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 10:48 AM »
I saw this in 3D on Friday afternoon and loved every second of it.  The story, while simple, is engaging and you find yourself really caring for the characters and their journey.  It definitely adheres (at least in part) to Campbell's archetypal "hero's journey" structure, and I think that is going to be a large part of the film's success in word-of-mouth reviews. 

Technically speaking, the animation on the Na'vi is very well done, and at times you forget that you're looking at CGI (or at least I did).  The environments are absolutely stunning (even if they did remind me, on many occasions, of Felucia), and the 3D is never really used in a Johnny LaRue fashion; that being said, the sequence where Jake and the Banshee choose each other in the floating mountains could probably inspire some vertigo-like symptoms if you're not into heights. :)

But yeah, I enjoyed the film overall.  Visually stunning, a good archetypally-based story, and good performances from the entire cast make this worth watching, IMHO.  I'd rank it as my third favorite film of the year, behind "Up" and "District 9."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 12:02 PM »
I saw this yesterday - and it is truly amazing.  Movie of the year.  The CGI is the best its ever been.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 05:02 PM »
the sequence where Jake and the Banshee choose each other in the floating mountains could probably inspire some vertigo-like symptoms if you're not into heights. :)

I had a similar experience while viewing the scene - in 2D.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 05:25 PM »
I wish I could see it but we've boycotted James Cameron movies since seeing Titanic.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 04:51 PM »
I wish I could see it but we've boycotted James Cameron movies since seeing Titanic.

;D Well, that's only the first you'll have to boycot then (after Titanic).

I saw it last night, in 3D. I didn't get frontal headaches, like with Ice Age 3D. So that's a good thing. The story is indeed pretty straight forward, but just like a pr0n movie, that's irrelevant. It's all about the effects, baby! And Cameron has really raised the bar on that level. Damn! Stunning detail and design all the way! The 3D adds to that, but not much. I dunno, I think I'll grow tired of jellyfish floating in front of you pretty soon.

Personally, this one is my fourth favourite Cameron movie, True Lies and Tita-.... er.... Aliens, T2 and T1 claiming the top 3 spots.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 01:05 AM »
Saw it at the midnight premiere. The plot is FernGully crossed with Dances With Wolves, with a liberal dose of the evil corporations from Aliens -- in other words, predictable as hell but somehow it feels right and it works. And, of course, the effects are spectacular. Large stretches of the film are CG, and the rest is completely seamlessly blended with the live-action. Great vehicle and beast designs also. Basically the most immersive CG environments I've seen period.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 01:18 AM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 05:52 PM »
Saw it at the midnight premiere. The plot is FernGully crossed with Dances With Wolves, with a liberal dose of the evil corporations from Aliens -- in other words, predictable as hell but somehow it feels right and it works. And, of course, the effects are spectacular. Large stretches of the film are CG, and the rest is completely seamlessly blended with the live-action. Great vehicle and beast designs also. Basically the most immersive CG environments I've seen period.

That's a great analogy with FernGully.  I saw it while we were waiting to go to the airport on Tuesday (wife and daughter saw Princess and the Frog) and it was ok.  I was kinda torn by the whole mix of plots and how to summarize, but that works really well. 

I don't know that I'll own it and I'm sure not keen on the boost in movie prices for the privilege of wearing uncomfortable glasses but I don't feel bad paying the $10.50 to see it, so its not without merit.  Perhaps not a resounding endorsement but I think it worthwhile seeing in the theater. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 02:43 PM »
Ok. I broke my boycott of Cameron movies last night and saw Avatar. I know I suck. Anyway, let me start by saying the graphics where great! It will look fantastic at home on blu-ray. Lots of great detail on the aliens. Much better motion capture models than Christmas Carol or Beowulf. They didn't look like the walking dead. I could see the aliens breathing. Lots of good explosions and action. The drop ships look like something out of Aliens. Lots of cool toys.

On the down side, the plot was a video game plot. No depth or detail. Awful story that could have cut about an hour and no one would have noticed. This was the same problem I had with Titanic. Too much running up and down the ship while it was sinking with no advancement of plot. What was with the name of the mineral the evil corportion was after? Unattentium? Please. That good for a fill in the blank in the script but they should have come up with something better during the shooting.

Sorry folks, this is just Pocahauntus in Space.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 07:00 PM »
I saw it as well this week.  I wasn't overly impressed by anything.  It was a pure "emotion" film rather than a "thinking" film.  In that I was disappointed... I was expecting much more from this supposed "pure sci-fi" film.  It was decent, don't get me wrong.  You felt good at the end with what happened and rooted for the good guys.  But the characters couldn't have been more typical.  The plot couldn't have been more basic.  And it's nothing I'd rush out and see again for the effects.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: January 1, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Caught this today as the annual Birthday movie extravaganzaa.  I liked it, didn't love it.  The effects as everyone has said were great, the villians were uber villians and the good guys were uber good guys.  Great action, cool scenery.  Didn't care the preachy political stuff but eh...I was entertained.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: January 1, 2010, 08:36 PM »
I will add that the ALice in Wonderland 3D trailer was absolutely awesome.  For the most part, I'd say most of the 3D experience has been not too keen.  I really haven't thought wow that is awesome in 3D.  That trailer though was trippy and totally showed a true 3D look to it. 

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #27 on: January 1, 2010, 11:23 PM »
Funny thing... people have gone on an on how Cameron created this amazing ecosystem for the planet.  All the way up the food chain, they said.  With all that praise I only ever recall one thing killing one other thing for food...

Yesterday I watched The Dark Crystal on Blu-ray with my kids.  Jim Henson created 10 times the ecosystem I saw in Avatar... almost 30 years ago... with puppets.  His felt like a far better realized and complete alien world.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 2, 2010, 02:32 AM »
I caved in and saw it today. 

I think overall it was pretty stunning.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 2, 2010, 09:50 AM »
I saw this last night with my wife. We both enjoyed it. It wasn't a "deep" movie or a movie with a complex plot, so in that aspect I would say that the movie falls a little short.

Heck - on a macro-level, I knew the plot of the movie just based on the trailers - so for me it was really more of seeing if the plot was going to play out exactly like I imagined it would - which it did.

I thought the performances that they were able to create from the Na'vi was fantastic.

I'm glad I saw it on the big screen and in 3D which was a nice touch as well.

I wouldn't run out to see it again, but simply in support of the tech behind the movie, I'm glad it's doing well. I think world-wide it's made $750 million so far, which is great.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!