Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 15132 times)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar
« Reply #30 on: January 3, 2010, 09:15 PM »
I think world-wide it's made $750 million so far, which is great.

It has now crossed the $1 billion mark, and is in fourth place all-time, which is ridiculous for a movie that's only been out for 17 days.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 3, 2010, 09:42 PM »
That's world wide. Domestic it's only #15. For adjusted for inflation it's not even in the top 100. Somebody must like this movie alot.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2010, 09:42 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 4, 2010, 12:25 AM »
Well yeah a lot of that is the price of the movie tickets being as high as they are now.  Also, it's just getting a lot of good word to mouth and came out at a great time.  Back-to-back holiday weekends are gold especially for a super-hyped film.  I actually tried to see it this weekend and it was sold out both times.  I tried on 2 different days.  I am not someone that shows up 5 mins before the start of the movie either.  It's going to do well with no competition to speak of for awhile.  Hmmmm, kind of reminds me of Titanic's run.  There was nothing to compete with it either for a long time.  I am not saying it's going to take it over but it's going to do darn well for a good for at least the month of January. 

I saw that Gone with the Wind holds the record for the estimated amout of tickets sold at 202 million.  Star Wars is second with 178 million.  That's really the number we should look at.  Not only that but those movies came out when there were no movieplexes to speak of.  So, you did not have this run it all day long in 3-4 theatres.  Crazy!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 4, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Ahh, the good old days when movie theaters were huge and only showed one movie. I miss the balconies. I remember lining up around the block to see ESB on opening day. We would get there 3-4 hours before the movie and the line would still be down the street. Amazing enough, with a line that long we still got in!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 4, 2010, 12:38 PM »
I don't know if we'll get a chance to see this in the theaters or not, but I sort of want to after all the reviews and positive word I've been seeing/hearing lately about how cool it looks.  I have to admit, a couple of months ago, I was sort of thinking it might bomb, but it sounds like it is heading towards being the #1 movie of 2009 now, eventually passing Transformers.

I'll echo the "good ole days" comment about movies/movie theaters.  Granted, I'm not complaining about getting more spiffy blockbusters each summer, but there was something cool about the "big" movies playing for months on end when we were kids.  A month or two back I was finishing up the "Making of Star Wars" book, and it was neat reading how long Star Wars was in theaters back then.  I sometimes think that is another reason why kids today, at least for the most part, won't be "tomorrow's collectors".  I think we have a lot more attachment to movies (and shows) from our youth, because many of them were the biggest thing for the entire year (or longer).  These days, you could be way into a movie one month - but the next month (or even within weeks) there could be something bigger and flashier hitting the theaters that makes you forget about it.  I don't know that today's 8-10 year olds will be tracking down Clone Wars figures on ebay some day, but I could be wrong (and that also adds to the question of why I'm buying those CW figures :P).  Anyways, that's another topic, but I am really surprised with how well Avatar has done.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2010, 12:43 PM by Brian »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 4, 2010, 03:49 PM »
We are so trained by commericals now that we can't stand to have some form of entertainment play for a long time without wanting something to replace it. Everything has to be quick and flash and replaced right away to keep our attention. Heck I can't stand how TV shows will recap what we just watched right before the commericals each time it comes back on. I'm not so stupid that I can't remember three minutes ago or even ten seconds ago since I fast forwarded thru the commericals.

I guess Avatar and Transformers prove that sex, violance and eye candy sell.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #36 on: January 4, 2010, 04:28 PM »
There was sex in Avatar?  You must be a big Sigourney Weaver fan...   ;)
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: January 4, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Upon more reflection, one thing that did bother me was the obvious evironmental/political barbs being thrown out that didn't really need to be there.  Not to make this a Pit topic but it was not needed for the story IMO and put in there just to throw some barbs at the last administration

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #38 on: January 6, 2010, 09:44 PM »
What's the point of being an artist if you can't express yourself?   I don't mind politics in my blockbusters...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 7, 2010, 11:38 AM »
I do because it takes me straight out of the movie or whatever it is I am watching.  I hate it when someone like John Mellencamp is entertaining the crowd with what made him popular...his music.  Then has to bitch about George Bush in the middle of the damn concert.  Not that I really care for Bush, but just sing your songs.  I did not pay money to hear about YOUR political views and then pass it along like everyone feels the exact same way.  It irritates the $%^# out of me when celebs or entertainment does that.  It's like an ad in the middle of whatever you are watching.  Annoying. 

Anyway, rant done.  LOL.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #40 on: January 7, 2010, 05:20 PM »
Well, but maybe you're looking at it wrong.  Maybe it's not just entertainment, it art.  JCM 's best and biggest album Scarecrow, was very political...not just entertaining.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 8, 2010, 01:02 AM »
There was sex in Avatar?  You must be a big Sigourney Weaver fan...   ;)

Ever since Alien.  ;)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 8, 2010, 12:29 PM »
I do because it takes me straight out of the movie or whatever it is I am watching. 

Then you must really hate ROTS...
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 8, 2010, 05:27 PM »
I do because it takes me straight out of the movie or whatever it is I am watching. 

Then you must really hate ROTS...

There are a few scenes yes. 

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 8, 2010, 07:00 PM »
I finally saw this flick in IMAX 3D today, now I haven't seen a 3D flick since It Came From Outer Space back in the 70's & I must say I was quite impressed. Wearing the glasses didn't bother me & so much going on in the flick for effects... wow! Gotta hand it out to the effects crew on this one.

Story wise, yeah been there, done that.  :D

I'll see it again & in 3D within a couple of weeks.

As Linda would did say, he's still an *******.