Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 15086 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar
« Reply #45 on: January 8, 2010, 07:15 PM »
^^ That graphic is pretty funny.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 8, 2010, 08:53 PM »
That was good Dale - haven't seen that before.   ;D

I'd like to try the 3D version before it leaves theatres (not going to own a 3D tv for quite some time-however that stuff pans out) but the glasses I was given at UP were extremely uncomfortable and it's a shame you can't "reuse" them to get a discount on a 3D showing, but whatever.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2010, 10:48 AM »
If you have 22 mins to kill, watch this. Just unreal how we have advanced in movie effects & so forth, it's like another movie that broke effects back in 1977 & yes those new effects will take over the old.

22-Minute Behind-the-Scenes Look at Avatar

'Avatar' gives Lucas impetus to revamp 'Star Wars' for 3-D

Cameron is still an ******* tho.  :P

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2010, 12:06 AM »
Biographer Rebecca Keegan writes in her just-published The Life and Films of James Cameron that he "emerged seething after seeing Star Wars: somebody had made his movie. 'That's when I got busy,'" he told Keegan. From daydreaming movie plots while working as a lunch truck driver, Cameron made his leap into the film business.

Riiiiight.

Douche.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2010, 09:41 AM »
Biographer Rebecca Keegan writes in her just-published The Life and Films of James Cameron that he "emerged seething after seeing Star Wars: somebody had made his movie. 'That's when I got busy,'" he told Keegan. From daydreaming movie plots while working as a lunch truck driver, Cameron made his leap into the film business.

Riiiiight.

Douche.

Cameron is a fool.  Everyone knows that Lucas stole the idea for Star Wars from ME.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2010, 11:15 PM »
Well I am assuming James was supposedly upset because someone had beaten him to the punch in making that type of a special effects movie?  Right?  I hope so at least.  Lucas cracks me up with his "have not been a big fan of 3-D," comment.   Come on B.S. man.  You have been pushing that for years now.  You even admit you have been struggling with it for years.  LOL!  These two guys crack me up with their quotes.  I guess they have the last laugh since they are both worth billions now, but still, the claims they come up with change with the wind. 

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2010, 01:01 PM »
Avatar has past Batman TDK for 2nd place.

1: Titanic $600,788,188.
2: Avatar $552,797,000.
3: The Dark Knight $533,345,358.

Avatar is expected to surpass Titanic within 2 weeks or less.

Avatar has taken in $1.81 billion worldwide, Titanic's record $1.84 billion.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2010, 10:26 PM »
Artist's often get upset when they see someone else with what they consider "their" vision.  There's a great story about William Gibson crying as he walked out of Bladerunner back in 1982, because it was so close to what he had imagined for his cyberpunk novels.  I'm not sure if he was crying because now people would think he was doing "Bladerunner" type stuff, or maybe the tears came because he was comforted by the fact that someone shared his concpets about how the future could be...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Avatar has past Batman TDK for 2nd place.

1: Titanic $600,788,188.
2: Avatar $552,797,000.
3: The Dark Knight $533,345,358.

Avatar is expected to surpass Titanic within 2 weeks or less.

Avatar has taken in $1.81 billion worldwide, Titanic's record $1.84 billion.

Yeah, I was looking at the numbers last night... TDK took 33 weeks to get to $533,000,000.  Avatar has done it in 5.

It's way ahead of Titanic's pace too.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2010, 11:00 PM »
I'm sure those $15-25 IMAX ticket prices aren't hurting Avatar's box office reign.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2010, 11:35 PM »
I have seen it twice, both times in IMAX 3D. And I may still see it again. I wonder how many repeat customers the movie has had? It be interesting to see those stats (even though they'd be near impossible to gather.)
"This is the way."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2010, 01:10 AM »
I have seen it twice, both times in IMAX 3D. And I may still see it again. I wonder how many repeat customers the movie has had? It be interesting to see those stats (even though they'd be near impossible to gather.)
Probably less repeat customers than Titanic had  ;)

I'm still lost on why this is so popular.  It was well done, no doubt about it, but just doesn't strike me as being as spectacular as the returns are indicating. 

Still don't care what the ultimate take of any movie is given they never adjust amounts for past years dollar values or number of theaters, etc.  It's mostly meaningless; 20 years from now the top three probably won't be top 20. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2010, 01:29 AM »
Still don't care what the ultimate take of any movie is given they never adjust amounts for past years dollar values or number of theaters, etc.  It's mostly meaningless; 20 years from now the top three probably won't be top 20. 

Boxofficemojo has a nice inflation-adjusted chart.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Those numbers put Avatar squarely at 26th at the moment.

As for the inflated ticket prices and the inflation thing, it didn't seem to matter when Titanic and its $10.00 tickets beat Star Wars and its $3.00 tickets, so I don't worry about it much.  In terms of real dollars it'll be tops, in terms of inflation adjusted dollars, I'd guess it'll top out somewhere around 15th.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2010, 04:49 AM »
I cant believe I still havent seen this
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2010, 09:49 AM »
I cant believe I still havent seen this

It's nothing special, but I enjoyed the movie - just no sure why it's raking in all this cash though.  Looks like Titanic will be sinking soon...again.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN