Author Topic: Toy Fair Poll - Best Hasbro Pack-In?  (Read 13513 times)

Offline starwarsgeek

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • StarWarsGeek.net
Toy Fair Poll - Best Hasbro Pack-In?
« on: January 6, 2010, 03:00 PM »
In anticipation of the upcoming Toy Fair next month and the ominous replacing of the Build-A-Droid pack-ins, I'm taking a poll across as many websites as I can asking you what your favorite pack-in has been thus far in the Star Wars toy line. While I pretty much already know which is going to win, I want to get some input from people across the internet and present Hasbro with some "hard facts" that canceling the B-A-D program and starting something else up - unless it's uber-cool - is probably a BAD idea (no pun intended).

Toy Fair takes place the weekend of February 13 - 14 so please vote before then to allow time to tabulate the votes from every website so I can present Hasbro with the numbers! Let's have our voice be heard and ask Hasbro NOT to replace the Build-A-Droid pack-ins!!

(I tried to add an actual poll to the thread but it wouldn't let me for some reason... so just post your vote here in the thread and I'll add them all up)

Power of the Jedi - Force Files
Saga Collection - Stands
OTC - Stands
RotS - Stands
Saga '06 - Hologram Figures
TAC - Coins
Legacy - Build-A-Droid

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Fair Poll - Best Hasbro Pack-In?
« Reply #1 on: January 6, 2010, 03:06 PM »
Legacy - Build-A-Droid

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 6, 2010, 03:20 PM »
In my order of preference:
1st-Legacy - Build-A-Droid
2nd-TAC - Coins
Tied for 3rd-Power of the Jedi - Force Files/Saga '06 - Hologram Figures
The following 3 tied for 5th:
Saga Collection - Stands
OTC - Stands
RotS - Stands

It's a no brainer the BaD parts are the best. For the value and variety we got a good many extra figures.
The coins were fun to collect. Some harder than others, but once you get a complete book of them, they look pretty impressive.
I actually liked the Force files. Neat little snippets about the characters.
The hologram figs were nice and some actually are decent enough scale for scenes. No not exact but their good enough. Also, they make for good mini chess pieces.

Of the stands, I'd have to say the ROTS ones were better in detail and color, though they could be a bit clunky and didn't al that well fit together. The other stands were bland and unimaginative. Yes, easy to pose figures, especially army builders, but they just didn't have a value to them, for me.

If I had a real choice though, I'd rather they do away with those pack-ins and knock the price down by a dollar. Doubtful that's going to happen, so in lieu of that, I'd still rather have BaD parts. It will be a sad day when they go away. At least they held the value to justify the price increase, IMO.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #3 on: January 6, 2010, 03:33 PM »
I think the #1 spot is already decided (BAD). I would be willing to bet my life that will be number one on every site.

For the record here is my order of preference:
1. BAD
2. ROTS Style Stands (Grass, Ship Floor)
3. Weapons Locker
4. TAC Coins

I thought the rest of these sucked:
5. Freeze frames
6. Saga2 Stands
7. Holograms. So pointless.
8. Force Files. Yeah we have this thing called the internet to find **** out on. Even in 2001.
9. Flashback Slides

I prefer the pack in to compliment the figure/my collection and not be a one off tossed in a drawer. The BAD, Weapons locker and ROTS stands can actually enhance displays and directly compliment the figures. (Saga Stands at least have a function purpose I just do not like the cheap design) Anything outside of that realm (Coins while nice, Force Files, Freeze Frames) to me are useless. I rather see a price .50 cent cut than a cereal box prize included.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 6, 2010, 03:45 PM »
I'd vote BAD as #1.  I could honestly care less about any of the others.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 6, 2010, 03:53 PM »
I don't even open the majority of my figures, but BAD all the way.  I like having body parts to go with my carded figures.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: January 6, 2010, 04:06 PM »
I've liked pack-ins at times...  Force Files were nice and stuff, but nothing has compared to the Buld-A-Droid pack-in.

To me, it makes $7.99 a price that can at least be stomached to some extent.

Losing BAD is going to sting unless they come up with something that gives you equal value to getting an extra figure or two in every wave.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: January 6, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I think the B-A-D is the best, SL weapons lockers is second and third the EPI ComTech chips.  They did sound goofy but they did double as a decent figure stand.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: January 6, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Yeah, I'll second the weapons lockers as a runner-up to the Build-a-Droid parts.

The CT stands though I can't agree with.  I can't agree with stands in general really.  I dont' care for stands much, since I prefer getting all the same ones for my figs.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 6, 2010, 08:33 PM »
1. Build A Droid pieces
2. Weapons Lockers
3. Stands

Holograms and Coins were pretty pointless, and I don't have an opinion on Force Files since I didn't collect anything during POTJ. I would honestly prefer NOT to have a pack in and have the price of basic figs fall about a dollar, but if we HAVE to have a pack in, I'd prefer something like Build A Droid. Like Jesse said, something that feels like it's worth the money we pay.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #10 on: January 6, 2010, 09:01 PM »
The BAD was the only one that has interested me at all.

BTW, if any of the JediDefender guys are in NYC for Toyfair, maybe we could get together for a drink?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #11 on: January 6, 2010, 09:57 PM »
BAD all the way.  I liked the coins, and the weapons lockers. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 7, 2010, 12:05 AM »
For me it would definitely be the B-A-D parts as #1.

My second choice would be the stands since you all too frequently need a stand to display a figure. I think all the CW figs should be coming with stands to compensate for their needle-thin limbs.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 7, 2010, 12:23 AM »
For me it would definitely be the B-A-D parts as #1.

My second choice would be the stands since you all too frequently need a stand to display a figure. I think all the CW figs should be coming with stands to compensate for their needle-thin limbs.

I forgot about the figure stands.  I would rate those second behind the BAD piece.  No real interest in anything outside of these two though.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 7, 2010, 01:43 AM »
Best to worse, my favorites
1: Build-a-Droid
2: TAC Coins
3: POTF2 Freeze Frames

The rest
4: Weapons Locker
5: Stands (all, but I think these should be standard and not count as the pack-in like the TSC line)
6: Force Files
7: Hologram Figures
8: CommTech
9: Flashback

The environment stands from the ROTS line and the TSC stands with the character names were my favorite.  I'd prefer the environment stands if the hallway pieces, for example, would connect to make a coherent floor.  Some of the outdoor stands did, Yoda and Luke come to mind, and that's a great feature.  The stands with names are perfect for a nice display, especially when someone that's a passive SW fan is looking through your display.

I'm a huge fan of both the coins and the Freeze Frames, and if it weren't for the B-a-D figures, those two would tie for my top vote.  The B-a-D was just a great concept and it will be hard for Hasbro to top that, but that doesn't mean that all future pack-ins will suck.

And yes, if leaving out a pack-in as well as a stand could in some way reduce the final retail price then I'd be fine with that.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"