Author Topic: Imperial AT-AT  (Read 150529 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: AT-AT
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Not saying I'm in love with this thing, but it certainly looks different to me.

If this is the real thing, I can certainly understand why some hardcore collectors would be let down.  But I think this looks like a decent upgrade over the old version, and am really looking forward to seeing how much bigger it is.  I'm thinking at this point I'd actually be down for two of them... I think the body and legs look fine, but the head looks a bit big (could be partially due to the angle of the picture).

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Chewie I hope to God you're wrong.  If you're not, I'll conclude my thoughts with this:

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2010, 05:14 PM »
The photo looks like a custom to me. The head is virtually the same. So is the body. THe only thing really different are the inner coverings of the legs.  Again not accounting for the back hatch as I feel that's a custom to this old mold.

If this is the new thing then I think I can easily pass it up. Or at least wait for it to clearance.

While this needs to look like an AT-AT, it shouldn't look like the old toy. That one is so severely out of scale it is embarrassing.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2010, 05:19 PM »
Looking the picture over, I see a couple things...

-First there's a large hatch running along what I assume will be a lower level, just like all diagrams basically show of the AT-AT, and which the models have.  That's obviously new, as is the ass-hatch which does appear to be open...  I would say, assuming that lower hatch is figure-sized for the most part in terms of height, that the body's about 1.5 to 2 times the size of the old body of an AT-AT then.

This is assuming there's space there to get your hands in and put figures, etc.

-The head is probably what I consider the letdown...  It looks stumpy, like the old one, and something just seems off about it.  The guns I'm wagering will have realistic versions you can replace, much like the AT-ST did, for the cheeks...  The head's clearly new and larger in sculpt, but it doesn't look like it necessarilly fits 6 figures properly (IE: Standing).  There's just something off about it.  It's the most glaring issue I see.

-The entire torso/body's sporting the cheaper "single-mold" style that the AT-TE and BMFalcon had too...  Notice how details all sort of sink together, but aren't separate.  It's basically a couple large single pieces that'll get screwed together.  The color of the plastic used (assuming it's not the final color since AT-AT's aren't white) doesn't do justice to it, so it may look better molded in grey...  I dare say the original AT-AT had some sharper sculpt to it.

-If the body's bigger, which I'm assuming it is by my guesses on that troop door, the legs are larger as well, but it's tough to tell how much larger/longer they are.

I do believe this is the upcoming AT-AT.  There's way too much new there I think for it to not be, and it's about what I was expecting.  Kind of an "up-sizing" of the original more than something completely redesigned from the drawing board.  Some folks will be happy with that I think, and others won't, and that's fine.  I didn't plan on buying the new AT-AT because it's not to-scale so it's out of my buying realm...  Though 3 feet (if it comes to that) isn't all that bad really, in the scale world.

And I find the Speederbike garage in the ass to be very lame.  Speederbikes are tiny, and they actually fit in racks and things in the rear section with doors that open on the side.  Having some mechanics of the walker actually flip open as a door is meh to me.  I felt the same way about the BARC in the TurboTank's supposed area of the drive section for the wheels and stuff.  It's a play feature, but it's sucking up interior space, so I'm not fond of that I guess (Maybe the better analogy is the little escape thing on the BMF.  I didn't care for that either and would rather had another section of the Falcon's interior I think).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2010, 07:45 PM »
I've been comparing this new photo to the POTF2/TSC versions and it looks to be quite new.

There is a definite difference in the head, the body and even the feet.  There are more subtle differences to the legs, but a noticeable update to many of the sculpted features.

The shape of the body looks quite different, there seems to be more of a slant to the front and back panels where they slope away from the side panel.  The POTF2 version is more flat front to back.  The underbelly where the legs attach is quite different as is the area where the opening hatch on the side fits.

There seems to be less sculpted detail on the side panels than on the previous version but I think there could be two reasons for that.  The previous version added some detail to add to the play features (eg window and opening door) but also to make it more visually interesting.  The AT-AT really doesn't have a lot of detail on the sides and it's possible for both price and aesthetics, some of that was left off of this version so that they could concentrate on other upgrades such as the size, sound and interior while keeping the assembly easy and cheap.

The head on this seems to be quite a bit more closed in than the earlier POTF2 sculpt.  There are detail changes on the back of the chin guns, how the top opens and where the bubble holding the side guns meets the back of the head.  While one report said that this was going to hold 6 figures I think it's more likely that Stan's rumor on RS (maybe here as well) was correct that it would hold 3 figures.  Two sitting and room behind them for one standing. 

The scale is definitely at issue in this photo.  The only frame of reference is the floor tile which could be 24" square or not. 

This isn't Action Fleet or any smaller scale that's been released by Hasbro.  Doesn't appear to be a custom of the WoTC colossal gaming piece either. It's possible it's some type of model, but I don't know all the versions out there so it would be hard to track down. But the opening head and moveable legs seem to not be indicative of a model, even a snap together.

I think if someone was going to custom build an AT-AT and put this much work into it, they'd put that extra effort into it to hide what looks like a hinge on the side as well as shoot for a more accurate head.  It could be possible that someone would customize a POTF2 AT-AT but the body sides have so much work done to them, scratch building would seem more likely.

I also don't feel that this is an update to the POTF2 mold.  Which, technically, is the Kenner mold.  It's 30 years old and the amount of modifications that look to have been made to this over the previous release seems like way too much work to put in when you could cut new steel.  Besides, we don't even know if the older sculpt is still viable.  Again, it's over 30 years old and has been used twice in the last 12 years to do new runs.  That sculpt could be gone by now.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards believing this is something done by Hasbro.  But what size it actually is or what's included (or not), is still up for debate.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2010, 08:07 PM »
The only thing that even resembles the Kenner mold, are the legs.  I agree, this isn't the Kenner Mold at all E...

I see definite seams at various points to indicate removable hatches on the side, or that the side itself seems to open up really.

I also can say that this isn't any "model" I've ever seen in production, even garage kits...  Plus models would have a lot more accuracy to them than this does.  I'm pretty confident this is the Hasbro toy, but I guess we'll see in a little while.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2010, 09:41 PM »

Well, the body is different.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:42 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2010, 10:00 PM »
Karma23 over at Banthaskull photoshopped the pic to have the cockpit closed. If the final product looks close to the below image, I'll get at least one. In any case I look forward to seeing the finished product at Toy Fair.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2010, 10:09 PM »
See?  This is why Hasbro hates us getting images early.  This photo is crap.  It's too bright, and is washing out all of the deatils, and it's from such an odd angle that it makes the proportions strange.  I think this looks really good, and a solid paint job will help it.  Again, even the BMF is out of scale, but I love it.  Hell, I'm out of scale.  My waist is way too big for my shoulders, but my wife loves me!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:42 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2010, 10:30 PM »
This Ac Photo is not the final product yet, it needs a finished paint job, with different shades of gray (perhaps more colorful than the Lc At st which lacked of matisses), with a clear view of the interior, the compartments, open doors and hatches our perception will probably change.

But I think itīs on the way to be a nice rendition of the At-at.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2010, 11:10 PM »
This may or may not interest anyone, but I tried to sloppily add a Snowtrooper to what I think the rough scale of the picture might be...  I could be way off, but if it has 2 decks inside the body, this is about right I think then.  Of course it may not have that, I don't know.

I just thought it might be interesting to see a possible size of it with something easier for comparison in the shot.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2010, 11:24 PM »
This photo is crap.  It's too bright, and is washing out all of the deatils, and it's from such an odd angle that it makes the proportions strange.

I agree with this.  I'm still excited to see what the actual finished 2010 AT-AT will look like.  All this badly photographed prototype does for me is help add another bit of evidence to to support the hard-to-deny-at-this-point rumor. 

I know it runs contrary to the OMG! effect of the internet, but I'm going to go ahead and wait to see the finished product compared to figures before I decide whether I like it or not...  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2010, 12:29 AM »
I'm not sure if this is a Hasbro Prototype or some sort of custom.  I'm curious to see how this image compares with what we see at Toy Fair.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2010, 02:33 AM »
Wow! It must be cool to work at Hasbro, seeing that they get to play with the toys in the break room. Or wait a minute, could someone have photographed it in the restroom? That would explain the poor lighting. I'll try not to get too excited while i eagerly await more photos.

Offline poodachoo

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2010, 02:44 AM »
all i can say is its not like its some top secret alien weapon system and there is no other company in competition that wants to see and steal there designs seriously they should just release the actual prototype pics so we can convince our selves to save and buy them.

or is it a cake like this pic lol lol lol lol

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:08 AM by poodachoo »