Author Topic: Coming Soon - 3D HDTV  (Read 1690 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Coming Soon - 3D HDTV
« on: January 8, 2010, 08:04 AM »
The big news coming out of CES is 3D.  I found this "timeline" to be particularly interesting:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43547

Of note:  "The new sets are expected to cost $200 to $300 more than comparable 2D sets."

$200-$300 is peanuts.  I was expecting a much higher price on the first models... like double the cost of a standard HDTV.  I think adoption will be fairly widespread at the price they now predict.

The technology is different than movie theater 3D.  You won't wear polarized lenses... you'll wear glasses with shutters that open and close in sync with the image on the screen.  The shutters open and close so quickly that you don't notice.  And it's supposed to be very effective.

The announced a couple weeks ago that Blu-ray discs have a 3D spec, and some current players, including the Playstation3, will support 3D with a firmware upgrade.  Also 3D discs will play in 2D on 2D sets, so you won't have to worry about choosing between different versions.

So it all looks very promising.  I had be planning on upgrading my HDTV to a 3D set when prices dropped in 18-24 months, but I'll probably be able to do it a lot sooner given this new info.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Coming Soon - 3D HDTV
« Reply #1 on: January 8, 2010, 08:57 PM »
I just bought my first LCD flatscreen a few months ago to compliment my PS3 (though I had to return a few tvs) so it's going to be awhile before I upgrade again - like probably another 10 years if it lasts that long.  Not sure I need 3D at home, but it must be nice...I guess.   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Don't care.  Honestly, I hate wearing the glasses at the theater and don't foresee myself wearing them at home.  I understand there will be a whole market of glasses that are far more comfortable than at theaters, but it really doesn't matter to me.  I'm not one that was ever clamoring for 3D, either in movies or television; the medium is inherently 2D and I'm neither so devoid of imagination nor woo'd by the latest and greatest so I don't give a crap.  Seems like another marketing thing to get folks to spring for a new TV yet again far too soon. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 8, 2010, 09:27 PM »
Hold me back! The Log Burning channel & the Weather channel will never be the same.  ::)

Can't wait for the 3D House of Boobies or was that Dr Tongue's 3D House of Stewardesses or Dr Tongue's Evil House of Pancakes :D

Ahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!  oo! ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 8, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Rip and tear Bruno! Rip and tear!
« Last Edit: January 8, 2010, 09:40 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2010, 01:45 AM »
When they start making 3D video games I might bite.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2010, 08:57 AM »
They'll start coming out later this year.  Sony demoed three at CES.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj