Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Basic Figure Line  (Read 57310 times)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Basic Figure Line
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Jeditemplearchives.com posted a nifty little slide that reveals Hasbro's planning for 2010 - there's gonna be another foil UGH with the Basic Figures! 
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2010, 10:30 AM »
Even more confirmation that "vintage" is returning in 2010 - the Nahdar Vebb mail-away sheet says so!

According to Adam Pawlus over at GH, the redemption form says...

"Collect and Save the UPC codes from any 5 figures from the Star Wars Build a Droid (87535 Asst.), Saga Legends (87995 Asst.), Star Wars: The Clone Wars (87638 or 94736 Asst.), or the Vintage (87568 Asst.) collections."

I'd say between the leaked slides and this official form (straight from a Hasbro product), there's not much doubt left that the vintage cards are making a comeback this Fall. ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:31 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2010, 10:48 AM »
very cool!  now please have some on display at TF!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2010, 11:05 AM »
Hopefully the first few waves are at least all OT for us old timers.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Hopefully the first few waves are at least all OT for us old timers.

Hasbro indicated in the Q&A that the four waves currently planned for Fall 2010 will be based on ESB, RotJ, AotC, and RotS (not necessarily in that order), with ANH and TPM in Spring 2011.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2010, 12:28 PM »
If that is the case then I will be hoping for ROTJ to kick off the line.  There are so many characters from that film that I am wanting done/redone.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 08:38 PM »
I'm very much pleased with the direction of the line. Hasbro has done well in making the line more appealing than the more dead-beat TLC line (yes, I loved that line, but its choices were beginning to get dull and its products nearly ALWAYS remained stagnant :P).

And I'm crossing my fingers Hasbro makes a SA Darth Maul on a TPM/Vintage card.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:39 PM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 08:41 PM »
And I'm crossing my fingers Hasbro makes a SA Darth Maul on a TPM/Vintage card.

Blasphemy!  ;)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2010, 08:37 AM »
I just want to get this straight based on some of the anger here. Hasbro has built a time machine and will be going back to the late 70s/early 80s to release PT stuff with the OT stuff they had already put out? Is that correct?

It's not that they are just giving us a card now that brings us back to our days of childhood with both OT and PT?

Now I understand the anger.  ;)
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2010, 09:08 AM »
I can't comprehend the anger...I'm 41 years old, I'm a true-blooded 1977/Kenner fan.  While I don't love the prequels, I certaunly don't hate them.  The Kenner cardsbacks were a great, dynamic, bold and, eventually iconic, toy package.  I would love to see prequel charcters with big glorious pictures on vintage cards.  It's going to look great.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2010, 10:20 AM »
That's the thing, despite feelings about whether or not prequel figures should be on "vintage" cards or not aside - the line should look really spiffy.  Like many others, the vintage packaging is still my favorite of all time.  Some of it may be nostalgia, but I actually always liked the design of having the big movie still/pic along with the black and silver scheme surrounding it.  If this line looks like we think it will (basically like the vintage/VOTC/VTSC), I hope they stick with the scheme for awhile.  I think the "Legacy" line, or whatever you'd like to call it at this point, is primarily all collectors at this point so they may as well go all out and target it at us like this.  I like the fact that there is going to be a distinct visual difference between the lines for the first time in a long time as well.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2010, 11:03 AM »
That's the thing, despite feelings about whether or not prequel figures should be on "vintage" cards or not aside - the line should look really spiffy.  Like many others, the vintage packaging is still my favorite of all time.  Some of it may be nostalgia, but I actually always liked the design of having the big movie still/pic along with the black and silver scheme surrounding it.  If this line looks like we think it will (basically like the vintage/VOTC/VTSC), I hope they stick with the scheme for awhile.  I think the "Legacy" line, or whatever you'd like to call it at this point, is primarily all collectors at this point so they may as well go all out and target it at us like this.  I like the fact that there is going to be a distinct visual difference between the lines for the first time in a long time as well.

I have to agree with you on all points here. The last line is VERY important to the sustainability of the realistic (non legends) line. A distinct visual difference and hopefully a completely different SKU will tell the tale. If the line doesn't make it then, it's not going to make it at all again. Bringing back the look of the 70s/80s I personally think is a great move. Making it a different SKU from CW and Legends is a great business move. I am still not convinced Legends is outselling Legacy. I almost NEVER see Legacy figs on the pegs, while Legends is clogging stuff up next to an abundance of CW stuff. I'm lucky if I see a handful of Legacy figs.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Yeah, that is one thing I am wondering - and it will depend on the actual figures (which we haven't seen yet) - but if nicely done figures, in vintage packaging, pretty much a "true" collector's line doesn't sell, then we might be in trouble on the realistic side of things.  That said, when the Legacy stuff actually makes it to pegs around here, it is gone pretty quickly.  I know CW sells well, and I always see a lot of it (but I think it does sell through pretty well), but I have a hard time believing the Legends/Legacy thing as well.  Either way, I hope this new line really does well for Hasbro, and we continue to see something like this.  I don't mind fewer releases in a year like this, as long as they are well done - have this spiffy vintage packaging, and hopefully in the future are spread throughout the year a little more.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2010, 02:32 PM »
...and hopefully in the future are spread throughout the year a little more.

That's another thing that is really hurting this line. If the realistic figures are collector oriented, then they should be made available to us all year, not mostly in the last quarter.

Many of us are still scrambling trying to catch up. I still have not one figure from the ESB wave. Yet I'm hearing that there are sightings of yet another CW wave.

And here's a thought, when kids don't have CW figures to pick up, don't you think they are picking up OTHER toys. By other I mean, NOT SW. By having at least the realistic line available all year, the kiddos may be roped into collecting them too since they are SW. I'm just sayin'....
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection
« Reply #59 on: February 3, 2010, 11:33 AM »
So over at Yakface their new Q&A got confirmation of a new CC pilot coming this year. This is another head scratcher as the 2004 sculpt is great and did not need a resculpt at all. Rereleasing him makes sense but redoing him, this is a wasted slot of the few we are getting this year in my opinion. Between the AT-AT Driver, CC Pilot, somewhat the entire first wave (I am glad they went for 3 of the 4). I hope this trend does not continue.

I am 100% in for resculpts but only for those that desperately need it(Ackbar, Yakface, **** even Lobot needs it more). The CC pilot is going to sit in a vehicle does he nee to be SA. The 2004 was has pretty good articulation already.

Thoughts?
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/